Author Topic: Crazy price for a 10MHz pulse generator (£15 !)?  (Read 38627 times)

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
Re: Crazy price for a 10MHz pulse generator (£15 !)?
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 09:23:49 am »
I have ordered two, so Terra, if they arrive in 1.5 months time, Ill PM you and we can sort out postage from Sweden. I have ordered them to be delivered to a mates house in the UK, so I can have it sent directly to you from him....

Just need to sit and wait now.

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 09:42:25 am »
I'm not able to order one, as it reverts to the higher price. Is anyone willing to order one for me and forward it to me? If it turns out to be a pricing error I don't mind to waive the order, but if it's correct I could use a pulse generator.

I have ordered a small quantity to resell, i don't mind doing you a cheap price.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 09:50:11 am »
I have ordered a small quantity to resell, i don't mind doing you a cheap price.
Lovely!

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 09:52:03 am »
I can't help thinking that they're going to be alerted by the unusual purchasing pattern. I bet they don't sell that many in the UK normally.

One-offs for personal uses is one thing. Purchasing in quantity for profit feels rather different.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:54:45 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 09:57:35 am »
Well I've jumped on the bandwagon too.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 09:58:03 am »
well they will certainly notice a run on them, I have bought 30 as I do not wish to over gamble or take the piss. I'll keep one, let Scram have one cheap and I won't mark the rest up stupid because I want to shift them. I could have bought 400 units if I was going on a self serving rampage and maxed out my credit cards.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 10:02:43 am »
Similar consumer protections to Oz seem to apply. Advertise a wrong price to bad for them it seems.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/if-something-is-advertised-at-the-wrong-price/
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 10:06:25 am »
Simon:  if you get them I'll cover your expenses x2.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 01:56:35 pm »
The price is still wrong after several days. The lights are on but nobody is home? There is a moody Google review of them from last week from a temp worker so its not just an empty shell. How clueless are these people running the UK store?

Before anybody thinks I'm on some kind of high horse regarding this, the main reasons I'm not jumping on the bandwagon is that I don't want/need a pulse generator and selling on eBay has always been a massive headache for me :P

I have bought 30 as I do not wish to over gamble or take the piss.
30 isn't taking the piss? ::)

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 01:59:27 pm »
Look I could of bought 400 8)

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 03:28:24 pm »
Oh, I wasn't talking about you. Sorry if I gave you that impression.
No no, not at all. It is just that if I had known where you are, I might have been able to get a pulse generator shipped to you.

But, on a general point, it is really interesting to see where people are at. It also helps with posts too: mains voltage and frequency, safety standards, components available to a person, how complex you make the wording for non native English speakers and so on.

I have often sweated doing a design in reply to a  persons post, only to have them say that the the design is no good because  they can only get the most basic components in their local. It turned out that another OP didn't even have a mains supply.

It is great, that on forums like EEV, you know that you talking to people from so many different countries: China, Scotland, US, Japan, France, Greenland, Australia, Brazil, Antarctica...  all within the space of a few minutes. Without the flag it is a bit like talking to a brick wall.

Go on, enable your flag- you sound like you could handle any flak. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:34:49 pm by spec »

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 03:56:01 pm »
At our company, when a project finishes, in the main, they just dump everything currently in stock. The reason is that it is too expensive to do otherwise.

At one time we were designing, and building marine Radars on a mini production line, and there was resistors, capacitors, transformers, you name it, scattered all over the place. At the end of the day the cleaners would just put the whole lot in the bin.

And when that marine radar production finished all the items in stores, including the production test equipment, that was not from the test equipment department, also went in the bin.

That was on the commercial side. On the military side everything that was surplus, and there was tons of it, was junked. In one case hundreds of silicon transistors were dumped because there was a minor deficiency in the paper work. That was in the days when a transistor cost the earth. I still remember the part number: 2N930. For years all by home projects used Mil Spec 2N930s. :)

The company's general stores had a load of old 74, 74S, 74LS TTL chips which were going to be dumped. I bought them for nominal sum and made a list which I sent to a few brokers, who got into a bidding war: I ended up doing quite well out of that operation. :)

The message is that there are many reasons why items are cheap, not just errors in the price.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:18:14 pm by spec »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 07:04:47 pm »
At our company, when a project finishes, in the main, they just dump everything currently in stock. The reason is that it is too expensive to do otherwise.

I've got boxes and boxes of chips in tubes from a local manufacturer, leftovers and misorders from projects/prototypes, some lovely parts in there which I really must catalogue.

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 08:28:29 pm »

I've got boxes and boxes of chips in tubes from a local manufacturer, leftovers and misorders from projects/prototypes, some lovely parts in there which I really must catalogue.
That's the problem- knowing what you have got, and then knowing where it is :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:32:07 pm by spec »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 08:37:12 pm »
That's the problem- knowing what you have got, and then knowing where it is :)

I know the nice stuff and exactly where it is, the more common stuff (tube after tube of 741 op-amps which I should give away) is a bit vague, quantities are also a bit vague for everything but there's more LT1013 than I will use in a lifetime for instance

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 10:43:14 am »
Anyone interested in getting one for free?

I pay for two, shipped to your UK address and you send me one (I pay the shipping to me, too).

PM to me if interested.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 11:25:59 am »
PM sent.

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2019, 11:33:37 am »

I pay for two, shipped to your UK address and you send me one (I pay the shipping to me, too).

PM to me if interested.

Regards,
Vitor

Just in case: check the import duties. Also when you order the pulse generator, you have to declare where the final destination of the pulse generator is. Just thought I would mention. :)

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 11:40:56 am »

PM to me if interested.

Regards,
Vitor

Just in case: check the import duties. Also when you order the pulse generator, you have to declare where the final destination of the pulse generator is. Just thought I would mention. :)

isn't portugal in the EU ?

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 11:54:04 am »

PM to me if interested.

Regards,
Vitor

isn't Portugal in the EU ?
Ah yes, good point. Still worth checking though. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:55:55 am by spec »

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2019, 11:56:24 am »
If they are then there is no duty because the EU of which we are still a member is a tariff free zone between member states and you can also handle VAT across borders. When I was VAT registered I would give my VAT number to an EU non UK supplier and they would remove the VAT from the price.

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 12:04:55 pm »
If they are then there is no duty because the EU of which we are still a member is a tariff free zone between member states and you can also handle VAT across borders. When I was VAT registered I would give my VAT number to an EU non UK supplier and they would remove the VAT from the price.
I'm no expert, but isn't it the case that there are effectively tarriffs on some items, like cars for example.  The name for the free may be post office/customs handling charge or the like. AFAIK electronic test equipment is a sensitive area.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 12:08:03 pm »
The name for the free may be post office/customs handling charge or the like. AFAIK electronic test equipment is a sensitive area.

But there are no customs because it's a free trade area. From the UK I only have to put a customs declaration on the package if it goes outside of the EU. The post office may ask what is inside in order to comply with their own terms and conditions of what they are prepared to carry.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:09:51 pm by Simon »

The following users thanked this post: spec

Offline JackJones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2019, 12:11:20 pm »
Do they actually ship from the UK though? It's not clearly stated that they do, for example the order page says this: "To be Fulfilled By: Cole-Parmer (International) ; USD $"

And if you look at the FAQ they list their pickup location in the US. I mean it's still not a bad deal even after the customs charges, just saying.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess they do ship from the UK: "In the event that we cannot provide shipping charges during checkout (example: items that are oversized, drop-shipped from the manufacturer, or shipping outside the UK), final shipping charges will be added at the time the order ships."

WELL. I clicked to the place order page and the price had updated. Great.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:14:55 pm by JackJones »

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2019, 12:15:50 pm »
If it is sold by a UK company that is importing them then that is their problem to deal with imports. If they are a UK company and they do not add any charge to the sale price they cannot add any after.

For example if you buy something from Farnell stocked in the USA they tell you upfront that they will add £15.95 + VAT to your order to cover their costs of shipping from the USA and no doubt any customs handling. You don't pay random charges on their goods shipped from the UK that they have imported.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf