Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME!!! THIS IS MY LAST SHOT!!!  (Read 5579 times)

Offline rcpower900Topic starter

PLEASE HELP ME!!! THIS IS MY LAST SHOT!!!
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:38:23 pm »
I need to power up a Dell LITEON PS-2112-2L 1100W Power Supply for C6100 outside the server..

Ok I dont know if this is the best place for this but I been looking all around and internet and I need some help.. I have a Dell LITEON PS-2112-2L 1100W Power Supply for C6100 and I would like to find out what pins I need to jump to make it power up and use it as a power supply?

if anyone has a pin chart for it or for the C6100 that would help some but if anyone is willing to help on this project it would be great..

thanks

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!! THIS IS MY LAST SHOT!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:42:24 pm »
I didn't look up the model number, but all the ATX power supplies I've seen grounding the green wire will turn it on.  The green wire in the 20/24 pin cable that plugs into the motherboard.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:46:28 pm »
some dell PSU have a non atx pinout, so be careful when 'grounding the green wire' / PS_ON# pin. on some DELL PSU, PS_ON# is pin 13

http://www.smps.us/power-connectors.html

-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 03:48:04 pm »
I didn't look up the model number, but all the ATX power supplies I've seen grounding the green wire will turn it on.  The green wire in the 20/24 pin cable that plugs into the motherboard.
these are a hot swap PSU - and don't have a normal ATX connector.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:03:05 pm »
Why is asking a computer question in an electronics forum your LAST SHOT?  Aren't there hundreds of computer forums you could try?  How about the Dell forum, for example?

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:46:00 pm by Deathwish »
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:20:04 pm »
Is this form factor PSU some kind of industry standard for servers? 

I found a blog showing how to enable the output of an HP 1200FB PSU which appears to have the same connector as the Dell.

Note that an 1100 watt switcher very likely has minimum load requirements, and it won't regulate properly if they aren't met.  It could even get unstable and shut down.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:21:43 pm by mikerj »

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 06:42:49 pm »
They are standard 'enough'. There are a large number of threads on the RCGroups forum on how to power up rack/blade server power supplies.
If the model looks the same chances are it is the same.   The standard technique is to find the controller IC number, look up its data sheet and then follow the traces from the chip s pin to the connector.

Offline thejoggingmat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 10:10:29 pm »
I've worked brief stints in 'IT Support' for local companies before. If it's a Dell, it's usually rebranded standard aftermarket stuff rearranged to confuse. (The lite-ON PSU is a dead giveaway.) If searching the other forums or using pin 13 really don't work, you can try using a DMM to measure one of the wires to ground. One of the wires should read a voltage (usually 5v) and at the same time magically jump-start the PSU. It's usually the green or the brown one if I could remember correctly.

EDIT: Server PSUs are designed for high load requirements. You need quite a high load to maintain stability.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf