Author Topic: Re: Newbie sticky suggestion  (Read 7861 times)

Offline PedroDaGr8Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Newbie sticky suggestion
« on: December 28, 2013, 10:51:06 pm »
Since that thread is locked I am posting this. Dave one quick suggestion: Please recommend newbies set their country. Many of their questions have to deal with things that are geographically dependent (price, availability of parts, etc.)

Maybe others have some suggestions as well.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:18:10 pm »
My suggestion as dumb as it sounds is to point out the search in the menu bar in an image, I've been here this long and didn't even notice it existed  |O

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:36:46 pm »
My suggestion would be to add a script to the forum that would automatically ban users for one day when there's "Sent from my something" in the message.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 11:40:46 pm »
My suggestion would be to add a script to the forum that would automatically ban users for one day when there's "Sent from my something" in the message.

Can we allow an exception for f_e if it says "Sent from the dashboard of my car"?

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:33:57 am »
I don't know about SMF but most forum software either has or has a plugin for requiring certain "forced" settings in the user profile upon signup.  I agree that, given the international nature of this forum, the country flag should be set.  This doesn't mean that people will even pay attention to it.  For instance, in a topic in FS/Wanted I specifically set the title to read US/Lower 48 and the only response I got was from Morocco.  I'm fairly certain this wasn't a comprehension issue but rather an "ignore past the parts I want to read" one.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 12:37:08 am »
Could just add all this "Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk" stuff to the forum software's swear filter and set auto replace to blank.

Or set it to refuse posts that contain swearing and add Tapatalk as the only swear word in the DB.
That way anyone trying to post it will have to go into their Tapatalk options and remove the sig before the post is accepted.

That should work perfectly and the forum already has the functionality. (well, i think it does, ive not checked. But swear filtering is pretty common)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:39:32 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Re: Newbie sticky suggestion
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 01:03:33 am »
Or set it to refuse posts that contain swearing and add Tapatalk as the only swear word in the DB.
That way anyone trying to post it will have to go into their Tapatalk options and remove the sig before the post is accepted.

+1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline sdg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 09:21:12 am »

+1

Sent from my Keyboard using Fingers.

;D
--
 -sdg

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 09:29:19 am »

I am a little ashamed to admit that when I see something like "Sent from my something" a little thought bubble pops up in my head and it reads "wanker".

But banning such people automatically is probably not in the spirit of tolerance that may have motivated the OP by Dave. On the other hand doing it automatically does make it non judgmental in an impersonal way.

these things usually appear automatically by default as in our wonderful modern world of commercialization is seems to be the accepted thing that manufacturers of pointless smartphones will try and get their name in your every message so as to let the world know that they made your pointless device. Finding the options that turn such rubbish off can be tedious. Taptalk and similar apps are also doing this as are email "apps".

Offline Jon86

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 09:33:15 am »
Come on don't be hard on people that have the 'Sent from my' at the bottom of their post. Sometimes my Nokia does it on emails and it pisses me off no end having to keep deleting it.
Death, taxes and diode losses.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 09:39:53 am »

I am a little ashamed to admit that when I see something like "Sent from my something" a little thought bubble pops up in my head and it reads "wanker".

But banning such people automatically is probably not in the spirit of tolerance that may have motivated the OP by Dave. On the other hand doing it automatically does make it non judgmental in an impersonal way.

these things usually appear automatically by default as in our wonderful modern world of commercialization is seems to be the accepted thing that manufacturers of pointless smartphones will try and get their name in your every message so as to let the world know that they made your pointless device. Finding the options that turn such rubbish off can be tedious. Taptalk and similar apps are also doing this as are email "apps".
Even better, catch and change that phrase to a variety of random ones, such as

"Sent from my device that wants everyone to know I bought one"
"Sent from a user that doesn't know how to remove this string from every post" :D

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 09:52:43 am »
unfortunately the forum software can't do that much but yes the swear word filter could be used to take them out but it would take some of daves time to identify them all and put filters in for removing them.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 10:55:44 am »
There's a swear word filter?

Edit: Remove swear word... Just testing  >:D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:58:02 am by apelly »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 11:24:15 am »
There's a swear word filter?
There is one, but it isn't enabled/setup.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 03:11:40 pm »
quite so, it was felt that we could rely on users to be judicious in their language, one occasionally used appropriately will not bring the roof down but if people were to start swearing too much it would have to be looked at, freedom of speech is one thing, a forum full of insulting language is another. however the functionality offered by the swear filter would also work very well for removing silly phrases that tablet and email programs put in automatically.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »
The swear word filter could be used to take them out but it would take some of daves time to identify them all and put filters in for removing them.

I'm sure i've seen forums that reject your posts and ask you to remove the swearing before accepting it.

Doing it that way means no-one needs to spend time collecting every single Tapatalk line.
Just trigger it on the word Tapatalk itself.

But if that is impossible, just auto replace
"Sent from my" --> null string
"using Tapatalk"  --> null string

It will still say iPhone or Nexus 5 etc.. but that is much less annoying.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:31:24 am by Psi »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 08:28:48 am »
as far as i know the swear filter will delete the offending word or replace it, so yes it could work but you also want to be careful you don't set it off inadvertently.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 08:36:53 am »
I wonder how that little line can piss people off?

- Sent from Denmark using a carrier pigeon :)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 08:41:33 am »
fast carrier pigeon  :scared:

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 08:48:34 am »
So I'm too busy for a couple weeks to read the forum a lot and a newbie sticky shows up?  What set that off?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 08:54:14 am »
some "seasoned members" seem to think that new users should be as clever as them and hurl abuse at them for asking basic questions. Some new users also need to grow up a bit too but that's just life.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Re: Newbie sticky suggestion
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »
Careful of filters, especially if you are from the Scunthorpe building regulation office and have people sending email all the time requesting permission to erect a wall or fence.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 04:11:40 pm »
spare us no details  ;)

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 04:51:18 pm »
My e-mail sig for certain ham radio related lists says "sent from my J-38".  For those not in to radio, the J-38 was a very common telegraph key, widely used by the US military in WWII, and by many radio amateurs after the War.  It's a joke, son.

One correspondent made the observation that  a "sent from my ..." line in the signature often really means the following:  If you send more than a one line reply, I probably won't bother scrolling through it and reading it on my device.  Don't bother embedding any images in your reply, because I probably won't download them, or if I do, I'll see them on such a tiny screen that I won't be able to resolve anything.  And don't send me on a link to a website that requires more than 150x300 resolution.

sent from my J-38 using Morse, the ORIGINAL tapatalk.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 06:30:46 pm »
spare us no details  ;)
They had a default email filter setting, and this meant they got no email at all from the outside, as all was dropped due to the scanner detecting false positives in the email addresses of all of the inside. When they fixed that the building dept was embarrassed to find that the locals could not send in electronic requests ( which was the only method they allowed) for building alterations due to the format of letter they demanded triggering the filter again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf