Author Topic: The Darwin Awards Thread  (Read 6789 times)

Offline AntiProtonBoyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
The Darwin Awards Thread
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:34:02 am »
http://browncardigan.com/imagesfarm/2012/1qxCqfISLd0Q26O.jpg

...apparently this was posted on 4chan. Not sure how legit this was, but man, some people a complete morons.

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Darwin Awards Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:44:28 am »
A fine example of Natural Selection at work. ;D

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline Ferroto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:55:08 am »
Just an FYI if you see any un-deatonated munitions (DUDs) leave it the fuck alone.

A friend of mine who works in the Canadian Forces Reserves told me about a guy picked up a 50mm gernade that didn't go off after being fired. It went off the moment he picked it up taking his arm with it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:56:40 am by Ferroto »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:10:22 am »
damn... that is just... wow i think i have to go reconsider what counts as common sense,

Offline Architect_1077

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:03:43 pm »
Some people have some serious short-circuits up in that thing they call their brains.

A fine example of Natural Selection at work. ;D

If only it would work a little faster...  :P

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:15:42 pm »
Most explosives are quite safe, at least until you put a fuse in them, then you handle with a lot of respect, even if the fuse is safetied. Then you handle with care. Up till then just with caution. If it did not go off you handle at a distance and blow it up if you can.

Offline shane_95

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:15:29 pm »
I found this funny

A guy wanted to kill him self, so he tied a rope around his neck and tied it to a tree on the edge of a cliff above water. He also drank poison, lit him self on fire, held a gun to his head. He jumped off the cliff, with the sudden jolt, the gun went up and shot the rope in 2, the man then fell in the water, putting out the fire, the water was so cold he vomited up the poison. The man was rescued taken to hospital and died of hypothermia 2 weeks later

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:32:25 pm »
Some one i knew at school found an old grenade in a tree root so he took it home and put it in the oven to dry. It did not blow up as there was an ants nest inside and no explosives. the luck of of the loonies is surprising.

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:43:55 pm »
4chan (especially the /b/ board) is full of trolls. I for one believe noone could be this stupid and thus I would brand this as a fabricated story. "OP" probably knew exactly that this grenade was not live. Then again /b/ is also full of suicidal retards. Anyway, the only rules to follow are not rule 1 and 2, but: Never trust anyone posting anything on 4chan /b/. :)

My 2 cents,
Florian

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 05:47:24 pm »
If you live in Flanders you find a lot of UO in the fields. IIRC they blow up arund 20 tons a year there in a few controlled detonations.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »
If you live in Flanders you find a lot of UO in the fields. IIRC they blow up arund 20 tons a year there in a few controlled detonations.

Lots of places in Europe are still full of that stuff. The real bad stuff is the one too rotten to get transported, and chemical weapons.

But Europe isn't the worst, very few die from that shit. Some places in the world are plastered with old landmines. There it is a different story.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 07:05:24 pm »
North of me are a crapload of landmines, most are not marked, and anyway have been moved around by water and storms. Makes farming and walking difficult in Mozambique.

Even with a map, a small area and knowledge of exactly where they were and how many there were SJ was brave going into the prohibited zone every few months to lift and safe the mines so that the grass could be cut. He was glad to finally safe them for storage, I was nervous about counting them in the store, considering just how much HE was around me in doing so. An oops moment there and there would not have been enough to ID, let alone bury me.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 07:43:40 pm »
By the way the "fuse" in a grenade is a fuze not a fuse

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 08:03:27 pm »
Hey, I just counted the bloody things, moved them around and dropped them. My mate Gav did the nasty work, all i had to do was look and see if the red flags were on them, and that the 2 yellow tags were prominently displayed before sitting in the cockpit. Only time I worried was turing preflight when I pulled the red pins out along with the primary safing wires prior to takeoff. If the pilot landed with them Gav had the honours to put them in and unship them for safeing and storage.

Funny thing is that the patterns they were machined to were most likely the ones my grandfather made in WWII in a bomb foundry.

Offline NukerDoggie

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 02:45:25 am »
My Uncle owned his own logging business in Washington State. They had to make roads to get to where the best trees were, so they used a lot of dynamite. One warm summer day in the early 1960s his foreman was returning from an errand to get more dynamite. He picks up a case of the darn stuff from the back of his truck and walks across an open clearing in the middle of a thunderstorm. You guessed it! It wasn't the lightning that killed him. They had plenty of trouble gathering enough of his parts to put in a box so he could make a showing at his own funeral.

This guy had a drinking problem and my uncle was on the verge of firing him. But Darwin came to the rescue. Now if only we could coax all the knuckleheads in the world to carry some explosives in a storm - before they have kids, naturally. Too bad the parents of the last 4 or so U.S. presidents didn't do so.

HLA-27b

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 04:58:28 am »
My uncle was an electrician at some factory in the 80's. One day the electricity is cut yet again. The manager of the factory believes this to be some kind of number pulled by the electricians, orders them to restore power immediately. Everybody shrugs shoulders, there is nothing they could do.   He orders them to open the transformer room, he is to see with his own eyes that nobody is playing games with him. Electricians politely inform him that it is very dangerous to enter the transformer room without cutting the electricity from the upper station and refuse to open the room. The manager certain that they are mocking him is mad with anger. He grabs a crowbar breaks the lock and enters the transformer room. From inside he waves the crowbar and yells at the workers:

- You fuc...

Just at that moment the power comes back! Some big bangs and lots of sparks follow. A very spectacular way to check out according to my uncle. The guy had a son, got sucked into gambling. When the police busted the place he was the only one convicted out of the entire outfit. Probably still behind bars.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf