Author Topic: What to do with around $340?  (Read 12925 times)

Offline IonizedGearsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What to do with around $340?
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:08:39 am »
Well, my birthday just recently happened and I received 340 dollars from my relatives. I have a few ideas on what to do with it.
-Save it for $1k laptop that I really would only be using when I am away from my main gaming PC.
-Buy some cool electronics gear (Suggestions please? I already have a fluke 87V and rigol 1102e.)
-Buy parts and make some cool electronics gear(I would rather go for this option than to buy some electronics gear).
-Purchase an SSD(Eh...)
I have no idea what to do with it and I don't want to regret buying anything  :scared:

I am an EE with interests in Embedded, RF, Control Systems, and Nanotech.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Re: What to do with around $340?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:13:21 am »
Maybe spend part of it on a basic power supply with adjustable current limiting.  As long as you take basic precautions, the sub $100 ones (0-30V 3A) on eBay work just fine for many uses.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:16:40 am »
Does the idea of keeping in on your bank account intimidate you? Do you feel a sharp pain in your chest, if you know you have some money at your disposal, which you have not yet decided how to spend? Do you just have to spend it on something as soon as possible? :-//
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:18:04 am »
Keep it tucked away until the consumer oculus rift comes out.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 02:20:17 am »
Maybe spend part of it on a basic power supply with adjustable current limiting.  As long as you take basic precautions, the sub $100 ones (0-30V 3A) on eBay work just fine for many uses.
I should of mentioned this, but in school we gutted a bunch of old trainers (The ones with a bunch of different electronic things such as logic, dual tracking supplies, function gens, etc. Not some old electronics teachers  :-DD) that we are going to make some cool power supplies out of to keep :) also, make that $410(some last minute birthday money and I remembered I have some money in the bank).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 02:22:46 am »
Does the idea of keeping in on your bank account intimidate you? Do you feel a sharp pain in your chest, if you know you have some money at your disposal, which you have not yet decided how to spend? Do you just have to spend it on something as soon as possible? :-//

I am going to put it in my bank account but the problem is, I usually slowly gnaw at the money with small transactions on impulse and end up with a bunch of crap rather than a few very nice things.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 02:26:21 am »
Do you have a decent soldering iron?  That's high up on the list of important stuff you'll always use.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:26:49 am »
I usually slowly gnaw at the money with small transactions on impulse

Lock it away in an EE savings bond so you can't spend it for at least a year.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 02:28:11 am »
Do you have a decent soldering iron?  That's high up on the list of important stuff you'll always use.

I have a very nice Weller 921ZX-0 and radioshack digital soldering iron already.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:30:12 am by IonizedGears »

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 02:38:14 am »
After the basics, what test gear you buy will be somewhat determined by your interests (analogue, digital, etc).  For digital stuff a logic probe (or analyser) can be very handy.

Having a reasonable assortment of common parts (passives, transistors, switches, pots, chips, etc) to experiment with is good.

Maybe check out packs of passives.  Do you have a couple of breadboards already?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 02:43:07 am »
After the basics, what test gear you buy will be somewhat determined by your interests (analogue, digital, etc).  For digital stuff a logic probe (or analyser) can be very handy.

Having a reasonable assortment of common parts (passives, transistors, switches, pots, chips, etc) to experiment with is good.

Maybe check out packs of passives.  Do you have a couple of breadboards already?

I have 3 breadboards (1440 contacts?) And another small one (500 contacts?)
I have around 93 lm317t.
2500 metal film 1% resistors
caps I need and other passives as well
I have a decent amount of the old 74LS logic.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 02:52:56 am »
Sounds like you have most of what you need at present except a logic probe/analyser.

I'd sit on the $$ (for a little while at least) for now and see what else comes up as you experiment.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 02:54:15 am »
Sounds like you have most of what you need at present except a logic probe/analyser.

I'd sit on the $$ (for a little while at least) for now and see what else comes up as you experiment.

Okay thanks :D

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 02:59:55 am »
Not sure of your age, but when I was a teenager I didn't have access to much money and there was no cheap stuff on the 'net. (no 'net at all !)  So I scavenged stuff, made very basic test gear until I could buy something better and jumped on sale priced (mail order) stuff as it came up.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:01 am »
guys, stop hounding the guy on not saving it.  Saving is what you do when you have a steady income.  The education you get from buying proper tools to fiddle with far outweighs the advantages of saving it away.  By the time you pull the money out, it would be lower in value and  you would have more of it at your disposal. Buy some tools man\

Edit: I agree with professor Farnsworth
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:18:00 am by smashedProton »
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 03:22:41 am »
Oh, I agree too. I was just giving a suggestion for if he didn't end up buying anything and didn't want to be tempted to waste the money on impulse purchases. Works for me - I'm the same way... ;D

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 03:27:03 am »
Save it.

No, seriously. This decision will affect how you handle money for the rest of your life.

Saving is what you do when you have a steady income
No, it's what you do all the time. My income is NOT steady, but it's no big deal, because I save.
The result? Some $1k tool shows up on ebay that I happen to need and it's a killer price. Bought it right there, because the money was saved.
Friend asks me to be best man at his wedding? No problem, I have the funds ready to go.

It's expensive to be poor. Examples are all around (pay for 1 year of car insurance in a lump sum, any form of interest, even food purchases).
If you spent what you bring in you will always be held hostage by your paycheck for the rest of your life.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 03:30:06 am »
Save it.

No, seriously. This decision will affect how you handle money for the rest of your life.

No, it's what you do all the time. My income is NOT steady, but it's no big deal, because I save.
The result? Some $1k tool shows up on ebay that I happen to need and it's a killer price. Bought it right there, because the money was saved.
Friend asks me to be best man at his wedding? No problem, I have the funds ready to go.

It's expensive to be poor. Examples are all around (pay for 1 year of car insurance in a lump sum, any form of interest, even food purchases).
If you spent what you bring in you will always be held hostage by your paycheck for the rest of your life.

:/ Maybe I should save it, you drive a compelling argument,  marshall.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 03:33:26 am »
I disagree. I fiercely save money that I earn. I try to live frugally and save just about every penny I don't absolutely need. (Obviously within limits, I'm not going to make myself miserable...) But when I receive gift money, goddammit, I'm going to enjoy it - it's a gift! I don't know about Ionized, but I don't get gifts like that often. A continuous stream of money into savings is important. One unexpected lump being spent isn't going to make a difference.

I don't know how old you are - if you don't have a job, get one. That's my advice. And save that money. And enjoy your gifts while you still get them.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 03:41:28 am »
I disagree. I fiercely save money that I earn. I try to live frugally and save just about every penny I don't absolutely need. (Obviously within limits, I'm not going to make myself miserable...) But when I receive gift money, goddammit, I'm going to enjoy it - it's a gift! I don't know about Ionized, but I don't get gifts like that often. A continuous stream of money into savings is important. One unexpected lump being spent isn't going to make a difference.

I don't know how old you are - if you don't have a job, get one. That's my advice. And save that money. And enjoy your gifts while you still get them.

I am 16, I was looking for an electronics related job in my area but I can't find one for a person still in highschool and for part time. So I guess I have to fall back onto staples with my knowledge of computers as a sales associate :(

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 03:43:36 am »
Save it.

:/ Maybe I should save it, you drive a compelling argument,  marshall.

I agree. I have a steady income, and lately I've been making a bunch of large-ish impulse buys (setting up my lab, mostly), and now I don't have any savings. There's all the usual reasons to save money, for emergencies and unforeseen bills, and such, but it also makes very large purchases (like an $800 scope) really hard.

Ultimately, it's your money, and it's up to you to spend how you want, but I think it's important to learn how to manage money early on so you don't turn into me and blow your entire paycheck the day you get it.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 03:47:18 am »

Say whaaaa.... ??   :-DD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 03:51:48 am »

You think this is good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Work-New-USB-Saleae-24MHz-8-Channel-Logic-Analyzer-Latest-Support-1-1-15-System-/281162928592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41769dd1d0

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 03:52:39 am »
I am 16, I was looking for an electronics related job in my area but I can't find one for a person still in highschool and for part time. So I guess I have to fall back onto staples with my knowledge of computers as a sales associate :(

You're not old enough yet for a job you enjoy - you still have a few more years of self-degradation :-+ ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 03:59:31 am »
Any suggestions for some logic analyzers?

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 04:37:15 am »
Any suggestions for some logic analyzers?

I have a Saleae Logic8 (genuine, not the $30 knock-off) and I like it.  It's been very useful debugging things like DMX streams, SPI exchanges, etc.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 04:44:06 am »

Say whaaaa.... ??   :-DD

Good news everyone! We have a special delivery to the galaxy of death. Enjoy!
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 04:38:51 pm »
I was going to suggest----------Go to the Football with your mates,then drink a lot of beer! ;D

However,as you are 16,I guess that's out!!

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 05:16:27 pm »
I was going to suggest----------Go to the Football with your mates,then drink a lot of beer! ;D

Shouldn't 16 year old girls be higher on the agenda than a logic analyzer?

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 05:26:33 pm »
You mentioned function gen, but not sure if you have one or not. Anyway a function generator is a useful thing to have to hand, even if its just a basic one.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 06:09:49 pm »
-Save it for $1k laptop that I really would only be using when I am away from my main gaming PC.

You don't need a $1000 laptop to do electronics.  A used $250 thinkpad t60 will be plenty fast enough.  Also, put the videos games away and get a part time job.  :rant:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 06:24:22 pm »
I said gaming pc because it was built by me to be fast and play games very well. Truth be told, I don't use it for games as much as I do with homework and internet surfing.

• Regular Contributor
Re: Re: What to do with around $340?
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 06:25:45 pm »

Eh, I'd rather my money better spent.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »
You mentioned function gen, but not sure if you have one or not. Anyway a function generator is a useful thing to have to hand, even if its just a basic one.
Getting a function gen soon, and for pretty much free as well. :)

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »

Eh, I'd rather my money better spent.
This makes me sad. :(
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 07:36:05 pm »
Yea....that is kinda depressing.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 07:37:20 pm »
??? I don't understand?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »
??? I don't understand?

When I was 16 I only had two things on my mind.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 10:17:53 pm »
??? I don't understand?

I was about to ask what the two things were, and give examples of what I thought they were.  But then I decided to keep it forum appropriate.  Were the two things right next to eachother?   O0
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 10:18:54 pm »
??? I don't understand?

I was about to ask what the two things were, and give examples of what I thought they were.  But then I decided to keep it forum appropriate.  Were the two things right next to eachother?   O0

:-DD

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:43 pm »
Were the two things right next to each other?

Those two things happen to be one and the same! One on the left and one on the right, depending on your POV. ha ha.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 11:49:47 pm »
hehe, that's not what he's talking about
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 12:04:47 am »

You're not old enough yet for a job you enjoy - you still have a few more years of self-degradation :-+ ;)
I tend to disagree. When I was 16 I was already selling software I wrote. A few years after that I started a PC repair service which got me quite some interesting business contacts and oportunities after a while.

Duh. That sounds boring to me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:08:05 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 12:38:02 am »

I tend to disagree. When I was 16 I was already selling software I wrote. A few years after that I started a PC repair service which got me quite some interesting business contacts and oportunities after a while.
Duh. That sounds boring to me.

I agree with nctnico. I did sort of the same thing, I worked as a subcontractor at a shop which had it's own service contracts. I also did a couple of contracts on the side. It's also the last time I ever dealt (and hope to ever deal) with business.
Pretty damn good money. Luckily small town, so you could walk/run to most of the places since I wasn't old enough to drive.

I realize it's not an electronics job but I think it was a good experience at the time, plus the savings helped. It still wasn't my dream job though I'd prefer to be neck deep in solid state physics research. I'd still recommend it, since high school doesn't really take much time leaving you with more time than you know what to do with. It also helps subsidize the partying and chicks.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf