Author Topic: AvE's Bridge Videos  (Read 11508 times)

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
Re: AvE's Bridge Videos
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2018, 01:43:20 pm »
As a non-native English speaker I can say that I have less problem understanding AvE's videos than understanding some other native English speakers.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi, Electro Detective

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2018, 06:56:19 am »
I am a native English-speaker - and when I first listened to an AvE video, I wondered "What the ?!!?" - but I was quite amazed that, despite the fact he was using words and phrases that I had never encountered before, I understood exactly what he was saying, right from the get-go.

It was a bizarre feeling.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2018, 02:44:36 pm »
I am a native English-speaker - and when I first listened to an AvE video, I wondered "What the ?!!?" - but I was quite amazed that, despite the fact he was using words and phrases that I had never encountered before, I understood exactly what he was saying, right from the get-go.

Lucky you. I had to resort to AvEspeak.com (seems down these days) to understand things like "Fat f*** in a pantsuit" (Santa).

Now I can say I am reasonably fluent, even when he decides to speak Franglais, Spanglish or Germglish.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2018, 03:02:39 pm »
I'd seen enough Ricky in Trailer Park Boys before I ever watched AvE to be able to understand him immediately.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2018, 11:24:39 pm »
AvE would have no trouble getting along in my area, he's easy to understand, with or without beer assistance   ;D

Come on guys, once the   'Gentlemen, welcome back to the shop, yibetty dar dar goo goo...'     =  :wtf: did he say/mean/imply/insult/profanity/ ???   introduction is over, he's straight into it   :-/O  = WYSIWYG     :-+ 

And seriously, I don't believe he expects everyone to keep their d!ck in a vice/vise   :scared:   till the next AvE shop session gets uploaded on Youtube

...especially the lady viewers, unless he has a new product review in the works so they don't feel excluded...      ???

:palm: )

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2018, 12:34:35 am »
AvE would have no trouble getting along in my area, he's easy to understand, with or without beer assistance   ;D

Come on guys, once the   'Gentlemen, welcome back to the shop, yibetty dar dar goo goo...'     =  :wtf: did he say/mean/imply/insult/profanity/ ???   introduction is over, he's straight into it   :-/O  = WYSIWYG     :-+ 

And seriously, I don't believe he expects everyone to keep their d!ck in a vice/vise   :scared:   till the next AvE shop session gets uploaded on Youtube

...especially the lady viewers, unless he has a new product review in the works so they don't feel excluded...      ???

:palm: )
The "Gentlemen, welcome back to the shop" has been declared to be gender neutral. I can only assume the dick in the vice is too.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2018, 12:54:17 am »

I'd think that the words and phrases being immediately understandable is the reason they came to be in the first place, they just seemed right

on a related note, it keeps surprising me that is seems it Americans have the most trouble understanding English with a
accent or dialect

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2018, 01:04:28 am »
I'd think that the words and phrases being immediately understandable is the reason they came to be in the first place, they just seemed right

on a related note, it keeps surprising me that is seems it Americans have the most trouble understanding English with a
accent or dialect
I think most Americans are typically only dealing with other Americans, so that makes sense. Though the number is growing most Americans don't have a passport, and foreign shows aren't a staple in the typical American household. The rest of the world deals with several varieties of American English and a lot of other accents on a regular basis. In the US you mainly have the US accents and Mexican Spanish.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2018, 03:42:03 am »
accent or dialect
Professor Henry Higgins from "My Fair Lady" had an interesting quip in the song "Why can't the English Learn to Speak"

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2018, 05:03:20 pm »
I'd seen enough Ricky in Trailer Park Boys before I ever watched AvE to be able to understand him immediately.

LOL. I actually ended up watching the movie on Youtube because of that comment.

But does the fact that AvE is Canadian account for his style?.

Take my "other" favorite British Columbian,  Paul of "Mr. Carlson's Lab" channel. His Canadian accent is noticeable (a boat, oat, instead of about, out), but his English is crystal clear.

His style is the exact opposite. No swearing, no dad jokes, no innuendos, very rare puns. It also helps that the audio quality is superb (The s.o.b. designed his own microphone).

As Dave points out, AvE's style is a matter of choice. Whose consequences he has to face. Seems to be the case with every major youtuber.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2018, 05:27:59 pm »
As Dave points out, AvE's style is a matter of choice. Whose consequences he has to face. Seems to be the case with every major youtuber.
The consequences could be worse. Only 780698 subscriber and 162478661 views. Luckily not everyone is an easily offended snowflake.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2018, 06:23:46 pm »
The consequences could be worse. Only 780698 subscriber and 162478661 views. Luckily not everyone is an easily offended snowflake.

The word "snowflake" has been invoked. This discussion is a blond c*** hair short of approaching Godwin's law.

Could be even worse. He could have his channel shut down permanently. We don't want that. Do we?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2018, 06:51:30 pm »

All it shows is how much human garbage we live with.

Now lets see how many of this human garbage is offended by this comment.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2018, 10:59:03 pm »
The word "snowflake" has been invoked. This discussion is a blond c*** hair short of approaching Godwin's law.

Could be even worse. He could have his channel shut down permanently. We don't want that. Do we?
It suprises me how people try to maintain their moral high ground, despite the numbers indicating something different. AvE’s channel is massively more popular than the Mr. Carlson’s Lab. I don’t think AvE’s channel has been hit by strikes eiter, as opposed to many other channels that could be considered more PC.

People just need to accept a large portion of the world doesn’t take things as serious as they do and that other people prefer content over form. Youtube is popular because it offers content different from the sanitized and polished regular television shows. People flock to Youtube because they find people, channels and content that reflect their interests, rather than generic content that caters to the lowest common denominator. Trying to make it into an internet version of regular television will simply kill Youtube dead.

It’s obvious AvE’s channel isn’t for everyone. That’s okay. Accept it and move on. The world is a better place if we don’t try to make it all agree with our personal views and nothing else.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2018, 12:18:46 am »
It suprises me how people try to maintain their moral high ground, despite the numbers indicating something different. AvE’s channel is massively more popular than the Mr. Carlson’s Lab.
People hasn't got yet what this topic is about.

No one is censoring AvE for what he does. We are just analyzing where it can take him.

His popularity may even be a "detrimental" factor to his present style. Think about that.

I don’t think AvE’s channel has been hit by strikes eiter, as opposed to many other channels that could be considered more PC.

AvE had at least one video taken down. The one where he showed two "peaceful" middle aged Canadians kicking each other asses with a priest (that tool used to kill fish).

That happened after his video trended on the first page of Youtube.

See how popularity here doesn't mean a thing. I mean, it does, but with a reverse effect.

People just need to accept a large portion of the world doesn’t take things as serious as they do and that other people prefer content over form. Youtube is popular because it offers content different from the sanitized and polished regular television shows. People flock to Youtube because they find people, channels and content that reflect their interests, rather than generic content that caters to the lowest common denominator. Trying to make it into an internet version of regular television will simply kill Youtube dead.

How can we force people to accept that?

Dave nailed it when he said how much AvE is making with his videos. AvE has two kids to feed. They'll get more "expensive" as they grow up. He can't risk losing his channel because of something foolish he said or even did. That's what is at stake here.

It’s obvious AvE’s channel isn’t for everyone. That’s okay. Accept it and move on. The world is a better place if we don’t try to make it all agree with our personal views and nothing else.

Even Pewdiepie had to recant after calling someone with the n***** word. More popularity, more responsibility.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:23:19 am by bsfeechannel »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2018, 01:06:18 am »
I don't think AvE is depending on the income of his channel. So far everything he has said and done is tailored towards being free to do and say what he wants, rather than pleasing the public or sponsors. Sponsored goods or corporate gifts are not accepted, people are discouraged from seeing ads and at times people are even encouraged to unsubscribe. Other Youtubers that do obviously sponsored bits are called out and as far as I'm able to tell he still has a day job that pays his bills. This is different from many Youtubers that partially or fully depend on the income or associated sponsoring.

Unless it's all one big act to look sincere it seems AvE is not in it to make a living, despite the earnings probably being substantial. Though we can assume he's only human and doesn't mind the money either.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2018, 01:30:03 am »
I don't think AvE is depending on the income of his channel. So far everything he has said and done is tailored towards being free to do and say what he wants, rather than pleasing the public or sponsors. Sponsored goods or corporate gifts are not accepted, people are discouraged from seeing ads and at times people are even encouraged to unsubscribe. Other Youtubers that do obviously sponsored bits are called out and as far as I'm able to tell he still has a day job that pays his bills.

He's earning at least $400,000 a year from Youtube and Patreon combined. I'm sure that's a lot more than he's earning in any day job.

This is different from many Youtubers that partially or fully depend on the income or associated sponsoring.

I don't think so. Like it or not I don't think there is any doubt were the majority of his income comes from, it's Patreon and Youtube.

Unless it's all one big act to look sincere it seems AvE is not in it to make a living, despite the earnings probably being substantial.

It's easy to know almost exactly how much he earns as a minimum. He has 13,245 Patron on at least $2 a month, that's at least $317,880 a year just from Patreon alone. Probably $400k with some $5 backers.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2018, 01:56:57 am »
He's earning at least $400,000 a year from Youtube and Patreon combined. I'm sure that's a lot more than he's earning in any day job.

I don't think so. Like it or not I don't think there is any doubt were the majority of his income comes from, it's Patreon and Youtube.

It's easy to know almost exactly how much he earns as a minimum. He has 13,245 Patron on at least $2 a month, that's at least $317,880 a year just from Patreon alone. Probably $400k with some $5 backers.
I'm just saying that having means to support yourself and your family without your Youtube channel makes for a different dynamic than when the future of you and your family becomes uncertain when that happens. There's earning a lot of money and there's losing your house when you don't.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2018, 07:59:25 am »
Interesting (but predictable) how his original video got a lot of mainstream attention and subsequently a lot of new viewers and copped a lot of flack for his "crude shop talk" a.k.a foul language. And how he had to address this and tone it down in the 2nd video.
The age old problem if building an audience based on a certain style of video and language vs more "mainstream friendly" content.

Personally I don't like him. I don't know if people in his part of the world talk like that and I doubt it but I tire quit quikly of his "shop" talk, it sounds as fake as anything on TV it's just that on youtube he can say what he wants and sound as stupid as he wants but as far as I am concerned it's all an act. I never find the videos to hold much content so stopped watching a long time ago.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2018, 08:17:02 am »
I'm just saying that having means to support yourself and your family without your Youtube channel makes for a different dynamic than when the future of you and your family becomes uncertain when that happens. There's earning a lot of money and there's losing your house when you don't.

Sure, but let's run the numbers.
Say an engineer might be on $100k/year.
If you are earning $400k/year "on the side", and that side business sucks up all your time (it does, trust me), it makes sense to quit the 9-5 job and devote to the $400k year job. Especially if you have a family.
Let's say your Youtube career is all over in 5 years and you are on the street again. Well, $300k a year put aside in savings gets you $1.5M spare change over those 5 years, plenty to last you for a long time until you can find work again. And when you are a high profile youtuber with 750k fans in a professional field, finding a new job or consulting work etc would be trivial.
I think he's nuts if he's still working 9-5, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:18:38 am by EEVblog »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2018, 08:29:40 am »
I would say AVE is taking the YT and Patreon money as investment money, using it mostly as seed capital for later on when the kids are growing up and there is a need for cash for tuition and such, and just uses the bare minimum as costs for the channel itself.  Would be smart to use that money while it is there to make the up front investment in the costs, and leave it to grow by itself, and not have the children be lumbered with an albatross of debt when they finish studying and are seeking income.

Despite his downplaying of things keeping the day job probably does pay him enough to keep the shop and channel alive, as he definitely does talk about the value of things when he takes the oversized and over the top opening methods for packaging. The tool teardowns to show up what is insode, and there generally is very little about the reviews that is not showing the product warts and all. yes he has biases towards things and such, but that is also something he also is aware of mostly, and also shows that he does not have the best stuff around, just uses what he finds lasts and works, or which was cheap and reasonable.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2018, 11:51:55 pm »
I think he's nuts if he's still working 9-5, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
I'm pretty sure he is not doing 9-5, more like consulting when needed. Hard to tell how much of his time it actually consumes.

Just based on some comments/videos, no inside info here.
My RSS reader is blocked by the forum, so I won't be actively reading it. If you need to reach me, use email.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2018, 12:48:06 am »
I'm pretty sure he is not doing 9-5, more like consulting when needed. Hard to tell how much of his time it actually consumes.

Nah, our hero is on a crusade against "fascism".

"I think we successfully rebuffed the advances of fascism for yet another fortnight or for... fascism in all its forms... uh... neatfreakism... the can'ts, the shoulds the... language police. It's a beauty having your own empire of dirt. You can do whatever the f*** you want."

Gotta love AvE.

Source:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:27:15 am by bsfeechannel »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2018, 10:27:05 pm »
Re earlier comments above:

You can't compare Mr. Carlson’s Lab with AvE, they are separate items, even though both hosts are Canucktites 

If you reversed their speaking roles, the content would still be the same

Mr. Carlson’s Lab I discovered by accident searching for capacitor tester Youtubes,

AvE (BoltR?) links are in your face no matter what tech surfing I do  :popcorn:

Maybe because he covers a broad spectrum? He even comes up on multimeter searches, that's how I came across his channel IIRC,
he was beaching on some clamp meter going south on him,
and on another video praising a cheap Fluke made in the advanced wing of OneHungLow Corp.

Admittedly my main 'latest video' searches start with Mr. Carlson’s Lab, John Ward and EEVblog of course

All three are easy on the brain and get on with it without the BS

...and no bench vice required  :phew:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf