Author Topic: RC Oscillator  (Read 6258 times)

Offline DandoniTopic starter

• Contributor
RC Oscillator
« on: October 27, 2016, 02:23:07 am »
Hey all,

This is the circuit I have been playing around with and it seems to work ok and I messed around with  digikey's sheme it to draw it up.  From the reading I have done on RC oscillator circuits , the phase shift needs to be 360 degrees for oscillation to be sustainable. With one capacitor having a theoretical max phase shift of 90 degrees, how does this work on this circuit? What waveform does this produce?

thanks

ps I hit the insert image but it doesn't seem to do anything, so I have attached schematic below

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:28:18 am by Dandoni »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: RC Oscillator
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:02:20 am »
With one capacitor having a theoretical max phase shift of 90 degrees, how does this work on this circuit?
It doesn't.
What waveform does this produce?
0V. The transistor will just turn on, dissipate lots of power and fail, possibly with lots of smoke.

I think you're trying to make a blocking oscillator, which requires an extra feedback winding on the transformer.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:38:42 am »
It definitely works as I have the circuit in front of me and its  transferring power from the transmitter to the receiver circuit as the LED is lighting up quite nicely.

I got the idea from a  video off youtube with the same setup but with different components.

I originally used the same transistor(2N3904) which also worked but was experimenting with different cap and resistor and voltage/current supply and I damaged the transistor. I settled on components that I posted and seems to work ok.

I forgot to mention that this is a wireless power transfer circuit. Is the a different way you would represent the coils in the schematic?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 10:33:10 am »
Or does the coil in the circuit make it an LC Oscillator?

Every where I read says more than a single stage RC network is required to produce a sustainable oscillation.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 02:58:34 pm »
Hey all,

This is the circuit I have been playing around with and it seems to work ok and I messed around with  digikey's sheme it to draw it up.  From the reading I have done on RC oscillator circuits , the phase shift needs to be 360 degrees for oscillation to be sustainable. With one capacitor having a theoretical max phase shift of 90 degrees, how does this work on this circuit? What waveform does this produce?

thanks

ps I hit the insert image but it doesn't seem to do anything, so I have attached schematic below

Your circuit as drawn will not operate as an RC oscillator.

The R & C are not in a feedback loop between collector and base.

To obtain feedback via CR,one,or both needs to be connected to the collector side of L1,not to the +ve supply,which by
 convention ( which is pretty much descriptive of all real circuits) is,for AC, at the same potential,as the -ve side of the supply,& hence,the emitter of Q1.

Just for curiosity's sake,disconnect C & check if the device still oscillates.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:06:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Its all soldered up. I will have to dummy another setup on the breadboard tomorrow. I will let you know

Could it then be a RLC or LC resonator?

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 06:59:04 pm »
Capacitor not being ideal, will have < 90 degree phase shift, so 3 sections mandatory. Largely due
to ESR of cap.

Wein bridge only requires 2 RC networks.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 10:38:04 pm »
Ok so this points in the direction of not being an oscillator, and more likely to be resonating between the coil and the cap

Offline JimRemington

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 04:04:13 am »
LC oscillator.  For a lark, I breadboarded the circuit using a 2N3904, 100K, 1 nF, loop of wire about 8 cm in diameter and powered by a 9V PP3. The scope shows it to oscillate at about 100 MHz. Obviously LC, because if you squeeze the loop the frequency changes. I assume that the collector-base capacitance is providing the feedback.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:11:54 am by JimRemington »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 12:19:52 pm »
It definitely works as I have the circuit in front of me and its  transferring power from the transmitter to the receiver circuit as the LED is lighting up quite nicely.
Then the schematic is not a true representation of reality, especially if you're using a breadboard.

As others have stated, you have an LC oscillator, rather than an RC oscillator there.

The real circuit is probably similar to an FM bug oscillator, with the capacitor across the transistor, in parallel with the inductor (transformer) and emitter resistor being parasitic components. Breadboard is quite resistive and has parasitic capacitance which will make the circuit work. If you tried building it on a proper PCB it's quite likely it won't oscillate.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 07:43:40 am »
Thanks all.

It works on a breadboard and when I soldered it up on strip board it also works. Hooking the Uni-t 139c up to my circuit( not the same components as the youtube vid) , I am getting  a frequency around 4.5Mhz. I have yet to hook it up to an oscilloscope.

I had to present my project in class, and you lost marks if it didn't work. I'm glad it did. Murphy is normally lurking around somewhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf