Author Topic: Good Solvent Dispenser?  (Read 5605 times)

Offline MasterBlasterTopic starter

Good Solvent Dispenser?
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:15:49 am »
Does anybody know of a good pump solvent dispenser that isn't garbage? A cheap one I bought from eBay seized up already. I see some pricey ones on eBay, but it's hard to tell if it's more junk trying to pass as quality.

Is Menda a brand to get or do they all come from the same factory in China?
http://menda.descoindustries.com/MendaCatalog/PumpAndBottle/StainlessSteel/Natural/35702/

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
Re: Good Solvent Dispenser?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:41:29 am »
I can't say these are the greatest but I do use them for flux and alcohol. They hold up very well and take standard hypodermic type tips. As long as you cap them they don't seem to have any issues. A buck each with the tip they are cheap.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wholesale-New-Clear-50ml-Rosin-Flux-Alcohol-Liquid-Bottle-with-1PCS-Needle-/111280004294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item19e8ce1cc6

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:52:06 am »
I can't say these are the greatest but I do use them for flux and alcohol. They hold up very well and take standard hypodermic type tips. As long as you cap them they don't seem to have any issues. A buck each with the tip they are cheap.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wholesale-New-Clear-50ml-Rosin-Flux-Alcohol-Liquid-Bottle-with-1PCS-Needle-/111280004294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item19e8ce1cc6

Gotta love eBay.

Same seller (different account!), same product (rotated pictures!), but the price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301095486290

And of course, the cheaper one won't come up on the UK site. I should stick to shopping on .com or .ca..

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:37:14 am »

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:47:32 am »
Can't speak for the ones from ebay, but I have a genuine menda one that I use daily at work for IPA, never had any issues with it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:49:12 am by RobertHolcombe »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 02:10:38 pm »

I also use these for flux.  I like that I can change the size of the needle.  Haven't tried using it for IPA as I just dip a long handled cotton swab into the bottle.  I have an extra bottle so I may try it.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:44:22 pm »
Another vote for Menda pumps.  :-+

As per flux, I've been using a needle bottle or dip a cheap art brush in flux. But I've recently acquired what I suspect is a clone of a Bonkote BON-102 from the same seller as the link (still need to test it out as my bench is currently torn apart).

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 02:29:45 am »
I've been looking at these for touch-up cleaning purposes. They come with 3 spare tips.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5x-Nail-Art-Pen-Acetone-Dispenser-Polish-Makeup-Remover-/331161222678?pt=US_Nail_Care&hash=item4d1abf3e16

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 03:49:04 am »
Another  :-+ for Menda pumps. I keep 2 on the bench, one with acetone, one with IPA.
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 04:00:24 pm »
I use nail polish bottle for rosin flux. Better than needle type applicator for jobs like wire tinning. I haven't seen them sold empty anywhere; you need to buy actual polish, remove the product from the bottle and then wash the bottle and applicator with acetone.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »
I buy those bottles from a industrial packaging supplier, they are quite cheap to buy, complete with brush. Of course you can go down to the shops and buy polish on special sell out, colours no one buys and have it initially for locking screws like I use it for, then use the bottle after washing with nail polish remover.

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 05:04:51 pm »
You can also take it from a woman, assuming you have one. That's where my bottle came from; a woman typically has at least 2-3 bottles she no longer likes so it is easy to convince her to give you one of them (prolly in exchange for something else,  but I digress).
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline MasterBlasterTopic starter

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 03:52:56 am »
Alright I'll give the Menda dispenser a try.

I usually get flux everywhere (not including the PCB), so it's good to have a nice dispenser for cleanup. Thanks for the tips everyone!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:55:24 am by MasterBlaster »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 07:23:37 am »
I have a couple of old and new Menda dispensers and they work great.  I have never seen one fail to operate but there is not all that much to wear out when you just have a plastic or glass bottle and a stainless steel pump.  The siphon tube split on one but I just replaced it with a length of heat shrink tubing.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 08:21:46 am »
For solvents I use a metal pump bottle i got forever ago with some isopropyl alcohol looks like this, good quality and easily refillable. I also have a few of the trigger style pump bottles of the same type i use for other solvents.

For flux though, i use these.

Offline bronson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 10:11:33 pm »
You don't have a problem with the flux drying out and clogging up the needle?  I sure do.

(maybe I need to solder more regularly...)

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 10:22:11 pm »
Easy solution for flux bottles: liquid dropper tip bottle

Cheap, and works well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf