Author Topic: performance of cross plate antenna vs bicone/desicone  (Read 943 times)

Offline CopperConeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
performance of cross plate antenna vs bicone/desicone
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:48:15 am »
It is easy to build a cross plate antenna. I have seen one somewhere, it was made by cross linking two 20'x20' copper plates and mounting them over another copper plate of the same dimensions, kind of like a desicone construction but with a plus sign rather then a cone. I have also seen a variant of it that has a "swastica" shape, which should not be more difficult to fabricate with a bending apparatus.

What are the performance benefits of such an antenna? I'm not sure if I want to order the copper for one, since I have a large bicone already (described in another thread)... though I remember bandwidth of the cross-plate antenna being narrower. My effort to gas weld it out of thin aluminum was impossible due to my lack of bracing materials. Perhaps I will try aluminum solder, but it warps so much... i would need to make a sophisticated clamping apparatus to do it with what I have, perhaps with angle irons, if I ground off all the failed aluminum beads on it.

Does anyone know about these things? Is it worth my effort? I like wide bandwidth things. I'm not sure if I will get different performance then my large bicone.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:52:41 am by CopperCone »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf