Author Topic: New Leads Recommendation?  (Read 12752 times)

Offline clandersonTopic starter

New Leads Recommendation?
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:31:35 pm »
I just purchased a Brymen 257s from the good fella Franky and I love it :-DMM! I'm just not too crazy about the leads :-/O. They're fantastic quality, just not my bag.

Specifically, they don't stay seated very well in the lead holders on the back of the DMM and I'm not a fan of having to attach the tiny (and extremely losable) banana clip adapters every time I want to use the alligator clips.

Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:45:50 pm by clanderson »

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Leads Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 01:58:29 am »
I just purchased a Brymen 257s from the good fella Franky and I love it :-DMM! I'm just not too crazy about the leads :-/O. They're fantastic quality, just not my bag.

Specifically, they don't stay seated very well in the lead holders on the back of the DMM and I'm not a fan of having to attach the tiny (and extremely losable) banana clip adapters every time I want to use the alligator clips.

Any recommendations?

I have the same DMM, with the same test leads, from the same seller.

I never clipped any test leads to the back of any DMM  :)

The "screw-on banana tip attachment" are in long term storage... as I find it a lot more convenient to use test leads that are terminated by micrograbber or alligator clips.

Offline hugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 02:18:57 am »
I like those ( Brymen ) B.T.C leads and the Fluke TL71 leads ...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 03:45:31 am »
As you're in the US, I'd recommend taking a serious look at Probemaster, and the 9000 modular series in particular.

Extremely well constructed, and a better value than Fluke/Pomona. For example, a 9104 Deluxe Electronics Kit + Spring Loaded Kit comes in cheaper than a Fluke TLK287 master electronic lead kit ($114.60 vs. ~$130 on sale). And in the case of the spring-loaded SMD probes, they're actually better made than the Fluke/Pomona equivalents which have a tendency for the wire to break where it enters the probe body (no strain relief).

Mueller makes some excellent stuff as well (finished products + connector ends).

If you want to spin your own, Pomona sells 18AWG silicone probe lead wire in 50' lengths (6733-0 & 6733-2; orders $50 & up = free shipping), and you can get connector ends from Mueller, Pomona, and Franky for example. Absolutely get what you want this way.  ;D

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 02:01:11 am »
You're not the only one looking for a cheap way to make nice, customized test leads. After a number of recent breakages of multimeter leads I'm now looking for some new ones too. But not at the ridiculous prices all the Pomona, Fluke, etc types go for. Also I'm sick of all the excessive safety rules crap.

So.... first step, the wire. Must be high flexibility heat resistant with good thick core of fine strands. Plenty on aliexpress, search for "silicone flexible cable"

Here's an example, seller has useful pic of the wire thicknesses available:
  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/26AWG-Black-5M-Flexible-Silicone-Wire-Cable-Soft-High-Temperature-Tinned-copper-UL-VW-1/32429405173.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.142.M5etVk&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_2_10037_10017_405_507_406_10032,searchweb201603_7&btsid=234daef6-dc8a-4f40-8907-16c75f84bf01

Probably "14AWG Flexible Silicone Wire Cable... US $1.80 / meter" will be about right for me.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline billfernandez

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 02:45:31 am »
Some of you might want to take a look at "Extech TL809 Electronic Test Lead Kit".  $17USD shipped (with Prime account) on Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012VWUI6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 03:32:45 am »
On the bench, the holder for me or loosing parts is not much of a problem.   The meter that I actually use outside and take with me is in a case so I don't really need the leads to fit in the holders or worry about loosing the other parts. 

I have several probes that I use.  I really like the Probe Master 9xxx because they offer so many different tips and their leads work with some of the other branded tips.   For general use, I like their 8xxx.  Sharp and fairly tough.  Smaller work I still use the Fluke needles.   None of these solve your problem with the holder.  Maybe just get a case for the meter.     

Any recommendations?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 05:46:21 am »
I've ordered 5m each of the red & black 14AWG silicone sheath wire. Total US$20.91
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/14AWG-Black-5M-Flexible-Silicone-Wire-Cable-Soft-High-Temperature-Tinned-copper-UL-VW-1/32432300722.html

When it arrives in a few weeks I'll let you know if it's any good.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 06:37:27 pm »
the heavy duty keysight ones look good.
I've a U1169A set (+ some other bits).

Overall, they're decent, but could be a lot better in a few aspects.
  • Although the wire is silicone insulated 16AWG, it's stiffer than it should be for the wire gauge/size. The flexibility should be ~ that of a wet spaghetti noodle, but resists bending (has a springiness to it that shouldn't be there; enough I'd swear there's steel in it, except the resistance is where it should be for copper).
  • They still have a memory where they were wrapped up as well (still there after ~7 yrs. or so}.
  • Tips on the safety probes aren't that sharp either (those on the longer 19mm ones are notably better, but not as good as Probemaster which will draw blood if you're not careful).
You can do better in that price range IME, though EU/UK availability does seem to make that more difficult. Perhaps Hirschmann Test & Measurement would be a better choice in the EU/UK market.  :-// Mueller too, if it's not horribly priced.

Probemaster does sell internationally, but the shipping can still be on the high side unless a larger order is placed last I read. Fortunately however, Simon is now selling Probemaster in the UK (here; currently only see Spring Loaded Probe Kits, but I suspect he'd respond to a PM).  :-+ Can't recall who's doing it in the EU.  :-[

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 07:22:09 am »
could the wire be double-insulated?

my current no-name probes have red outer insulation over a white inner insulation to show-up cable damage.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 06:25:16 pm »
could the wire be double-insulated?

my current no-name probes have red outer insulation over a white inner insulation to show-up cable damage.
I don't know as I haven't worn the insulation or cut into it to see.  :-// That said, I doubt it, as I'd expect it to be touted as a feature if it were the case (never seen such a claim on the website or in any literature).

FWIW, none of the other silicone wire I've ever purchased (finished leads or just wire to make up my own) have been that stiff. And that includes larger 14AWG silicone insulated wire (stuff usually aimed at R/C hobbyists for battery pack leads).

You might want to note that Pomona sells the 18AWG wire they use in 50ft. lengths (6733-0 & 6733-2 ; black & red respectively). It's far more flexible (think wet spaghetti noodle), and uses the dual color silicone insulation (red or black over white), should you ever decide to spin your own.  ;) Images on Amazon show the dual colors (here), but I linked Zoro ^ as it's less expensive + qualifies for free shipping for those in the US/CAN (buying both would exceed the $50 min. requirement).

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 05:45:59 am »
I'm a big fan of the Fluke test leads, I think they are worth the money. I use the TP2 probes with the TL224 leads, they fit in the 87-V's probe holder. I like the insulated ends because I can easily switch to clips of varying types and if you ever damage the leads or probe you just replace the broken piece. I have used the TL175 twistguards and I think those are great leads as well, those are too thick to fit into the 87-V's probe holder but I think they may fit in your meter's holder. You can even buy them from (some) Lowe's, I think they just dropped to $25 or $30.

Silicone leads are a must, you won't ever go back. BTW, Frankie's alligator clip leads will ruin you...you'll end up replacing all of your cables.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:48:14 am by BMack »

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 12:18:17 pm »
+1 for Probemaster: https://store-9x7452d.mybigcommerce.com/dmm-multimeter-test-leads

I have the 8000 series.  They are durable, feel great in the hand, and this series is relatively economical given their superb build quality.  I bought these for all my DMM's about 6 years ago and none have had any issues since.

Offline deepskyridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 01:29:58 pm »
+1 for Probemaster: https://store-9x7452d.mybigcommerce.com/dmm-multimeter-test-leads

I have the 8000 series.  They are durable, feel great in the hand, and this series is relatively economical given their superb build quality.  I bought these for all my DMM's about 6 years ago and none have had any issues since.

I can also recommend probemaster, I have a box full of cheap leads that came with multimeters that I don't use.

The probemaster leads are the best I have used.

Gary

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 05:34:25 am »
I've ordered 5m each of the red & black 14AWG silicone sheath wire. Total US$20.91
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/14AWG-Black-5M-Flexible-Silicone-Wire-Cable-Soft-High-Temperature-Tinned-copper-UL-VW-1/32432300722.html

When it arrives in a few weeks I'll let you know if it's any good.

Wow, that was quick! It arrived today, 8 days after ordering. And it's *very* nice.
 - The 14AWG copper thickness gives it a good weight,
 - It's very flexible so the weight makes it flop down and stay put,
 - The surface has just the right amount of inter-wire friction to neither snag or slip around,
 - It feels pleasant to hold,
 - The silicone insulation is thick enough that it seems safe for test leads (measured: 0.9mm)
 - The core solders very easily,
 - The insulation ignores soldering heat,
 - It's labeled unobtrusively with what it is - "14AWG 200 Deg C". No annoying advertising.
 - No more mentally subtracting something between 0.3 and 1.5 ohms from resistance measurements.
   Ha ha.. Clipped my Fluke 77 leads to the ends of one of these 5m lengths. Reads 0.3 ohms. Keeping that attached, short the two clips together. Zero reading change. (The 0.3 ohms is all in the existing multimeter leads. Which are relatively 'good' ones.)
 - Typical Chinese entertaining creativity in the customs declaration. "Insulation tube" indeed.
 - Lastly, it's cheap enough. $21 for 10m plus postage.

This is wire sent down to us from his noodliness.
Can see I'll be buying more of this in other colors too.

Now for the probes, clips and plugs.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:42:08 am by TerraHertz »

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 12:27:14 pm »
Another vote for ProbeMaster from me.

I have the 8000 series probes & spring loaded probes. They are perfect for electronics work, but the tips are too fragile for general use, they will bend/blunt due to being so sharp. I believe the 9000 series has probes more suited to general use but I have not personally used them; I have a set of Fluke Suregrip modular probes/sprung clips which are roughly equivalent.

The Probemaster 8000 replaced my faulty Fluke TL910 which became intermittent after about 12 months use. The TL910 and Pomona equivalent are too small IMO, and a waste of money given how often they have reported to fail.

Edit: for anyone outside the USA, I recall while considering Probemaster that the shopping cart shipping cost estimate was way higher than the amount I actually had to pay at checkout, the price was very reasonable
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:29:23 pm by RobertHolcombe »

Offline A.Huggy

• Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 04:15:39 pm »
+1 for Probemaster 8000 series, but only for electronics work.  The tips are too fragile for anything else.  They are like very soft needles.

I let my boss use my multimeter and probes for a couple hours once.  He returned them with blunted tips.  He said he was using them to check ground points on a car.   :palm: 

Online _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 07:54:07 pm »
I've a U1169A set (+ some other bits).

Overall, they're decent, but could be a lot better in a few aspects.
  • Although the wire is silicone insulated 16AWG, it's stiffer than it should be for the wire gauge/size. The flexibility should be ~ that of a wet spaghetti noodle, but resists bending (has a springiness to it that shouldn't be there; enough I'd swear there's steel in it, except the resistance is where it should be for copper).
  • They still have a memory where they were wrapped up as well (still there after ~7 yrs. or so}.
  • Tips on the safety probes aren't that sharp either (those on the longer 19mm ones are notably better, but not as good as Probemaster which will draw blood if you're not careful).

I am using the U1168A (bought from TME.eu). I agree with nanofrog comments above. They are ok but could be better. Would love to give the probemaster a try...

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 04:25:08 am »
+1 for Probemaster 8000 series, but only for electronics work.  The tips are too fragile for anything else.  They are like very soft needles.

I let my boss use my multimeter and probes for a couple hours once.  He returned them with blunted tips.  He said he was using them to check ground points on a car.   :palm:

:-DD   My Fluke needles are really fragile.  For work I now have the 8000 with the needles.  I'm not sure if they use the same pogo pins as the Fluke but they are sharp.   Good stuff, but not for car work.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 07:22:57 am »
Would love to give the probemaster a try...
Simon sells Probemaster in the UK, so you might want to send him a PM (there's someone else who's doing it for the EU, but I can't recall whom  :-[).

For work I now have the 8000 with the needles.  I'm not sure if they use the same pogo pins as the Fluke but they are sharp.   Good stuff, but not for car work.
I've a set as well. Thus far, I've not had issues with the needles getting dull, but I'm only using them on the bench. The downside however, is they've drawn blood a few times.  :-DD

If it helps, my regular 9000 series probes have seen a fair bit of automotive use however, and haven't gotten dull yet (had them a few years at least, and they've seen multiple vehicles for extended periods).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:25:46 am by nanofrog »

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 05:38:32 am »
Here's some of that 14AWG silicone sheathed wire made into test leads. This first set only have alligator clips. The next set will have probes using hard steel gramophone needles as tips. These are excellent, I've used them for probe tips before.

Pic 04 is a Fluke 77 multimeter, on ohms range with two 1.3m leads shorted at the clips. Reading "00.0" Ohms. Now that's what I like to see.
Commercial test leads NEVER use adequately thick cored wire. Always trying to squeeze the last cent of profit, they'll use 'thick enough' wire. Or their idea of it, anyway. Not what I call thick wire.

Last two pics are a small lead I made years ago, for probing fine pitch SMD IC leads. It's made from an old cheap multimeter probe, the type with a tip that unscrews from the plastic body. I cut off the probe tip, drilled a fine hole in the remaining metal part, soldered in a springy hardened steel sewing needle, and slipped some fine red teflon tube (stripped from some wire) over the needle leaving only the very tip exposed. Then added some more bits of silicone tubing near the base.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 05:15:59 pm »
I like the sewing needle probe.  I've used a few of these for tips myself. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf