Author Topic: Should I get the Mastech MS8268 (multimeter)?  (Read 37569 times)

Offline microbugTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
Should I get the Mastech MS8268 (multimeter)?
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:46:02 am »
I'm looking for a cheap auto-ranging multimeter for working with small electronics projects and occasionally some DC voltages of around 330v. I found the Mastech MS8268 (datasheet / manual at http://www.histest.com/blog/files/2012/02/Mastech-MS8268-Digital-Multimeter-Users-Manual.pdf), and wanted some 'expert' (or at least more experienced  ;)) advice.
I saw that there was a Mastech multimeter on the list of multimeters that don't meet their safety claims, but it was a different model.
Thanks,
microbug
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:47:44 am by microbug »

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
Re: Should I get the Mastech MS8268 (multimeter)?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:50:42 am »
How much is the Mastech?
What multimeter are you using now?

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:52:58 am »
Sorry, forgot to post the product link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastech-Digital-Autoranging-multimeter-warning/dp/B005HNOKB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365334369&sr=8-1&keywords=mastech+ms8268). The Mastech is £26.99 which is about $41.50. I was using a cheap made-in-china meter that broke when I was replacing the fuse.

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 12:00:14 pm »
Admittedly, i personally am not a huge fan of Mastech, but it's just an opinion.

Would you consider shopping around for an Extech? In the UK this should be doable.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:28:28 pm »
I'll have a look at Extech. Is there any reason in particular you dislike Mastech?

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:45:37 pm »
I have seen Mastechs in person and played with them on a couple of occasions. They left an impression of something in the 'cheap Chinese' category. But perhaps there are some happy Mastech owners who will contribute to this thread and offer other opinions.
I suggest you check out Extech prices, monitor this thread and other meter-themed threads for a few days and then make a decision.
I just saw several attractive Extechs in the £40 ballpark on eBay.
In the past I had a couple of Uni-T meters which were also good.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 12:52:31 pm »
OK thanks, I will have a look at some other threads as well. I have got notifications turned on for this thread!

Edit:
I'm looking at some Uni-T multimeters and they look promising  :D. It would be nice if there were some autoranging ones that could cope with more current though.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:06:47 pm by microbug »

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:52:22 pm »
There's one Mastech multimeter that's actually one of my favourites (and I have A LOT of multimeters!), it's the MS8250C. Problem though is that it's not very commonly available. There's a thread in the test equipment forum where I gave some short reviews on a few Mastech multimeters. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mastech-ms-8233e-ms-8240d-and-ms-8250c/

The reasons I like the MS8250C is that it's ultra responsive in pretty much all measurements, and offers steady readings. It also measures capacitance down to 1pF resolution with very respectable accuracy.

OK thanks, I will have a look at some other threads as well. I have got notifications turned on for this thread!

Edit:
I'm looking at some Uni-T multimeters and they look promising  :D. It would be nice if there were some autoranging ones that could cope with more current though.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:56:16 pm by iloveelectronics »
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »
There's one Mastech multimeter that's actually one of my favourites (and I have A LOT of multimeters!), it's the MS8250C. Problem though is that it's not very commonly available. There's a thread in the test equipment forum where I gave some short reviews on a few Mastech multimeters. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mastech-ms-8233e-ms-8240d-and-ms-8250c/

Edit:
Any suggestions on where to get it (Mastech MS8250C)? I haven't found much online, but the specs look good.
Edit: Found it on dx.com, but it's out of stock :(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:02:07 pm by microbug »

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 02:05:40 pm »
Any suggestions on where to get it? I haven't found much online, but the specs look good.
Edit: Found it on dx.com, but it's out of stock :(

I special ordered mine directly from the manufacturer (and paid a premium) as an evaluation unit but didn't end up making any bulk purchase as I wasn't sure if I was able to sell them well enough to warrant the minimum order requirement. They were available at dx.com at the time of the review though.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »
How much was the 'premium' then?  ;)

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 02:10:31 pm »
It was a 30% markup from the wholesale price, and that's higher than that price you see at dx.com!

How much was the 'premium' then?  ;)

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 02:13:54 pm »
I think I might just go with the MS8268 for now - I have no working multimeter *at all* now, which is a bit of a pain.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 03:45:00 pm »
330VDC? You are dealing with some serious hurt if something goes wrong. That meter only has a 250V fuse on the 10A range and a 250V PTC on the MA range. With just this it does not meet the current CAT rating requirements. Who knows what the real protection is on the V/ohms/C/etc input?

If you are going to be dealing with energies that much above just general bench electronics (you didn't say what kind of amperage the 330VDC is) then you really need to look at something that is know to be safe. Cheap and safe don't mix.

This technically does not meet the current CAT ratings requirements neither, but it is going to match what it says for its specs for safety as far as voltage and current goes. It is twice the price of the Mastech but I would take this any day over any Mastech.
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm906/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/#

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 03:49:37 pm »
330VDC would come from 3 x electrolytic capacitors (~120 uf each) out of disposable camera flash mechanisms, but I won't be using it much. The problem is that I don't have much money and need a multimeter (fairly) urgently. It's unlikely I will be using the photo flash capacitors any time soon though, I am looking mostly at small battery powered things at the moment (5V or less).

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 03:58:01 pm »
Well then the Mastech will do, but just remember that it doesn't meet its CAT rating as of the current requirements. If you are playing with live exposed flash caps the meter is going to be the last of your worries. :)

I would bet that PTC in the ma current range will not stand up to the energy of those caps should you connect things the wrong way. Keep one hand in your pocket when dealing with those. It can kill.

I personally do not like Mastech but that is my personal opinion. If you can swing it and can wait a little bit, Franky, iloveelectronics, has a deal for members here, a Uni-T UT61E at $55 shipped if I remember correctly.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 04:02:53 pm »
OK, I'll bear that in mind. I have experienced one of those flash caps and it is *NOT* fun - I learnt the hard way. I was a little shocked to find out afterwards that all 3 could have given me a heart attack.
That offer from iloveelectronics sounds good - the UT61E has much better accuracy and can log data (I think) - but when you say shipped do you mean internationally? I live in the UK.
Thanks!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 04:03:50 pm »
Yes, international! He is a good guy to deal with.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 04:09:07 pm »
Just looked at iloveelectronic's ebay store - $58.99 + £1.30 shipping - not bad at all! I will probably go with this.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »
Like I said he has a special deal with members here. PM him and get a better price.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 04:17:10 pm »
Oh, I didn't realize - great!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 04:23:57 pm »
Just remember that the UT61E does not meet its CAT spec neither. But it is a better buy than the Mastech IMHO.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 04:25:59 pm »
And far better than the 'CAT II'  :-DD $15 that I was using previously! Good thing I know (more) what I'm doing now.

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 04:37:45 pm »
YES to Franky's UniT!!!!!  :-/O

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »
If you are going to work with small low energy projects and price is an issue, I would consider the UNI-T120C. So cheap you can get 2 or 3 for the price of the Mastech. Low burden voltage and polyswitch fuse is great for mA/uA work.
Don't let the size deceive you, it is quite a potent and precise 4,000 count meter.
I did a review not so long ago:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-ut120c-review-and-tear-down/msg180726/#msg180726
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:04:48 pm by Wytnucls »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf