Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17921578 times)

timeandfrequency, ch_scr, flash2b and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #9625 on: April 24, 2018, 12:26:30 pm »
... the geezer plateau.

The one in Romford, or the one in Plaistow?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9626 on: April 24, 2018, 12:28:21 pm »
Primary winding sounds like a good bet, just using simple ohms law, the -8v bus is drawing around 140ma, which shouldn't blow a fuse

I just checked primary winding.....8.0 ohms.
Have to wait for bd139 to confirm but I suspect that is the problem.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9627 on: April 24, 2018, 12:30:23 pm »
bd139, I know you have a Tek 465 in your collection and I was wondering if you could check something for me....

I have a real basket case 465/DM44 here. Blows mainline fuses immediately. I found a dead short on the +15V supply which I have resolved. It was 2 shorted tants. But it's still blowing fuses. I suspect the -8V bus but not sure. I was wondering if you could check the resistance to ground on the power supply test points. Here's what mine read:

+110V  840 ohms
+55V    840 ohms
+15V    183.3 ohms
-8V       56.7 ohms
+5V      94.8 ohms

Much appreciated  :-+

Here you go:

+110V -> 17.1K
+55V -> 850 ohms
+15V -> 153 ohms
-8V -> 56 ohms
+5V -> 105 ohms

Interesting. 110V is referenced from the 55V line via a zener. Possible that has gone phut or some other crazy short.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #9628 on: April 24, 2018, 12:33:48 pm »
bd139, I know you have a Tek 465 in your collection and I was wondering if you could check something for me....

I have a real basket case 465/DM44 here. Blows mainline fuses immediately. I found a dead short on the +15V supply which I have resolved. It was 2 shorted tants. But it's still blowing fuses. I suspect the -8V bus but not sure. I was wondering if you could check the resistance to ground on the power supply test points. Here's what mine read:

+110V  840 ohms
+55V    840 ohms
+15V    183.3 ohms
-8V       56.7 ohms
+5V      94.8 ohms

Much appreciated  :-+

Here you go:

+110V -> 17.1K
+55V -> 850 ohms
+15V -> 153 ohms
-8V -> 56 ohms
+5V -> 105 ohms

Interesting. 110V is referenced from the 55V line via a zener. Possible that has gone phut or some other crazy short.

Wow, thanks! I would not have suspected the +110V. Gives me something to look at. I'll post what I find in a few days.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9629 on: April 24, 2018, 12:36:08 pm »
Good luck  :-+

I'm glad you asked me that actually because I found this when I cracked it open. Suspicious toast marks. Will replace that quickly!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #9630 on: April 24, 2018, 12:39:19 pm »
I just verified to make sure I didn't make a mistake. Yep, the +110V is measuring 840 ohms.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9631 on: April 24, 2018, 12:41:56 pm »
Sounds like short to the 55v line somewhere.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9632 on: April 24, 2018, 12:42:02 pm »
Good luck  :-+

I'm glad you asked me that actually because I found this when I cracked it open. Suspicious toast marks. Will replace that quickly!

Is the primary OK at 8 ohms then, it would be one hell of inrush current surely?

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9633 on: April 24, 2018, 01:42:08 pm »
Ok ordered replacement gubbins for HP3478A.

Y-class capacitors to replace RIFA. 22nF 15mm pitch: http://cpc.farnell.com/epcos/b32022a3223m/capacitor-y2-22nf-300v/dp/CA06183
Battery: http://cpc.farnell.com/varta/6127601301/battery-lithium-cr1-2aa-950mah/dp/BT05108

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #9634 on: April 24, 2018, 02:34:40 pm »
And what is wrong with a few pages of 50% general PC griping? If we were actively arguing about it, yeah, I could see... but this is just good-natured water-cooler talk, and unlike most such chatter, it didn't devolve into virtual cat-calling or chest-beating. Smeesh. It is EXACTLY the same as the above "Shed talk"; in fact it IS just that. It's just venting; everybody needs to do that, and they need to do it in the company of friends for it to help.

Nice string of "P" words there, though.  :clap: Well-played.  :-+

Oh, FFS... that's like saying talking about water or air is an offshoot of discussion from another thread.  :palm: Ontogeny does NOT recapitulate Phylogeny, no matter how many times you read such in dusty old tomes that were wrong. They were STILL all WRONG.  |O

This subject matter was born here of honest discussion, it belongs here, and getting bent outta shape because you've seen any or all of it in a dozen other threads is really a matter of tuning your personal annoyance filters rather than anything really wrong with the content. If you think that random good-natured venting about OSes should be a  "Third Rail" Godwin's Law type thing, then there's something seriously wrong with the SNR in your own perspective matrix.

Most of the time they just vacillate wildly, mocking you as you try to see the pattern in the random flipping digits. I don't need a machine to mock me; I have two children and a wife to do that. :-DD

mnem
*~ Today's discussion ingredients:
Great grey-green greasy grimy gobs of gopher guts, simulated monkey feet, topped up with chopped up baby parakeet and minced mouse butt all molded into twin patties (With actual MOLD!), then cooked in a reduction of bat guano and dingoes' kidneys and served on a toasted sesame seed bun.~* "Bon Appetit!"
z
There's two people here who see the exact same issue you don't seem to see. That makes the likelihood of a calibration error a lot smaller. ;)

Oh, I see the issue, in all its polyphasic glory. I also see far enough beyond the issue to know that even though it appears similar, it is in fact a matter of inevitable parallel evolution rather than bleedover from another channel. Just because noise appears similar does not necessarily mean it originates from the same source; to maintain the integrity of our subject data, we must address each packet of noise individually, not apply a single unbending filter to every single unit just because it seems the same as those that came before.

This is the difference between being mindless machines that only react and being living souls with the judgement see the difference and the will to temper that judgement as new things come along; and it applies equally well across all the above points. ;)

mnem
Don't bother other people.
Don't be too easily bothered.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #9635 on: April 24, 2018, 03:03:59 pm »
WE'VE CROSSED OVER INTO OS BATTLE META-DISCUSSION!  :scared:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9636 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:15 pm »
WE'VE CROSSED OVER INTO OS BATTLE META-DISCUSSION!  :scared:

Nurse! The straitjacket ...  :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9637 on: April 24, 2018, 03:26:53 pm »
Oh no, the dreaded so called Green Ink has struck so does that mean that the forum has become a magazine or a daily paper :-DD?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9638 on: April 24, 2018, 03:52:15 pm »
My meter has been dispatched it says by 48hr carrier with delivery estimated for tomorrow or Thursday  :-+ Hope its tomorrow and that it was actually dispatched yesterday
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9639 on: April 24, 2018, 04:26:59 pm »
And what is wrong with a few pages of 50% general PC griping? If we were actively arguing about it, yeah, I could see... but this is just good-natured water-cooler talk, and unlike most such chatter, it didn't devolve into virtual cat-calling or chest-beating. Smeesh. It is EXACTLY the same as the above "Shed talk"; in fact it IS just that. It's just venting; everybody needs to do that, and they need to do it in the company of friends for it to help.

Nice string of "P" words there, though.  :clap: Well-played.  :-+

It's just saying "Oh God, do we have to talk about that, again?" which you will hear down the pub. Just as pub conversation here in the UK now comes with an implicit "no brexit" rule there are topics that we've all heard too much about.

The problem is that it's not a seed that has been planted, but a tree that has grown through various threads and now creeps into this one. Enough is enough, we don't need the same discussion in 14 threads.

Oh, FFS... that's like saying talking about water or air is an offshoot of discussion from another thread.  :palm: Ontogeny does NOT recapitulate Phylogeny, no matter how many times you read such in dusty old tomes that were wrong. They were STILL all WRONG.  |O

This subject matter was born here of honest discussion, it belongs here, and getting bent outta shape because you've seen any or all of it in a dozen other threads is really a matter of tuning your personal annoyance filters rather than anything really wrong with the content. If you think that random good-natured venting about OSes should be a  "Third Rail" Godwin's Law type thing, then there's something seriously wrong with the SNR in your own perspective matrix.

Don't exaggerate lad, nobody's "bent outta shape", except perhaps the guy who's moved on to "smiley punctuation" and all bold sentences or sentential clauses (which is pretty much the WYSIWYG version of "all caps").

All one needs to complete the trifecta would be green ink*:)

To change the topic (slightly), the late, great Bill Hicks - a comedian much loved here in the UK but sadly largely ignored in his native America - coined the phrase "tooth to tattoo ratio", whereby he suggested that you could judge a lot about the sanity, ability to hold rational political views and propensity to violence of a person by counting their remaining natural teeth and comparing it to the number of tattoos they had.

May I suggest an online equivalent, which is the ratio of normal, correct punctuation to smilies, tentatively to be called the "Hick's ratio". You all know what (and who) I mean - there's one antipodean contributor whose electronics contribution is vanishingly small, can be seen in every argument and writes without capital letters, commas, full stops, paragraphs and congenitally can't post a single message without at least two smilies for each sentence, or sentence fragment.

* I don't know how well the green ink phenomenon is known outside the UK, where it's had a fair airing in the popular media over the years. It dates to the time when people would write longhand, real letters to the editors of newspapers.  All newspapers get "letters to the editor" from persistent, often monomaniacal, nutters; it was popularly held that these 'contributors' wrote in all capitals and in green ink. From my time as a journo I can say categorically that this is true. I have opened the post and found letters composed longhand, in all capitals and green ink, filled with rambling, unhinged complaints often completely unrelated to the subject matter of the magazine they were sent to. Moreover, not from one person but several different individuals, and this was on an organ with a mere 80k-100k actual physical circulation.

None of this is to be taken to imply that I think mnementh is unhinged, even if he has named himself after a dragon from a series of fantasy books. I, a man who chose the name of a small, drunken, apricot brandy swilling, warlike cartoon aardvark as his nickname, would be skating on very thin ice.

"Skating away-ay,
Skating away-ay,
Skating away-ay,
On the thin ice of a new day-ay-ay-ayay,
Aya-aya-ayay" - Ian Anderson

Well, no... it sortof stopped being "Oh God, do we have to talk about that, again?" when you dragged the cluebrick into the discussion; then it became (IMO) premature moderation. That is when I decided to take up the discussion; I am no more bent out of shape over it than I am the weather. I've worn the mantle myself more times than I can count; I know the pressures involved intimately and I was speaking as such. You can take my comments as meddling or friendly kibbutzing if you prefer, but please don't take offense as none was intended, I promise.  :)

You misunderstand my use of bold text sir; and I can speak with authority of experience when I say that it is your misunderstanding, not my usage at fault. Bold text merely indicates the salient point you're trying to emphasize, not raised voice. I do this as a courtesy to the reader, as I know I'm prone to pontificate and it is reasonable to feel a certain level of TL/DR. The bolded text is for those folks who, not unreasonably, instinctively gag on sight of the kind of WoT I tend to generate, nothing  more.

You place too much extrinsic value on a name. mnementh is a creature of the internet; he was born on BBSes and UseNet in the days of dialup, he has grown older and hopefully wiser over the decades, and he will die when his time comes. Just as there are times when the name my own mother gave me doesn't seem to fit, there are times when I consider changing his name; however, that wouldn't change the creature that appellation belongs to, any more than my choice of when to wear that skin online changes the person under it. The name has history belonging to that creature of the aether which has evolved independent of its wearer; I see no good reason to change it just because someone else makes assumptions and places value upon that name which doesn't exist. It's not like you're the first, or even the thousand and first, to comment on the origin of that name.  };=)~~~~<

I'm sorry, but alas and alack, paper periodicals have not been a part of my daily life since I gave up the corporate rat race; and now, they are very nearly extinct. If I wanted to know about the distasteful phenomenon known as green ink of which you speak, I suspect it would require considerable forensic work which I have precisely zero interest in pursuing.  ;)

We all take our turns going unhinged; if we didn't, we wouldn't be human. If you're suggesting that I strike you as a bit off, then thank you for the compliment. Just think of me as the comic relief; I have no quarrel whatsoever with that assertion, and I will happily play that role.

I was born in the age of the British Invasion; my lullabies were crooned by the likes of Ian Anderson and Rory Gallagher. In fact, (and I'l swear this to you in person, if we ever meet) my very first words were a squeaky "JOE COCKER!!!" in response to my mother bringing out "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" to play.

Long may you live, Mister Anderson.  >:D

mnem
" 'es gawt spiders in 'is hair!!!" ~ My mom, speaking on Ian Anderson
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:40:00 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9640 on: April 24, 2018, 04:30:57 pm »
My meter has been dispatched it says by 48hr carrier with delivery estimated for tomorrow or Thursday  :-+ Hope its tomorrow and that it was actually dispatched yesterday

Hopefully dispatched for delivery rather than execution-style; the latter seems to be the net effect for many on this thread. ;)

mnem
*Agitating-ily*  >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9641 on: April 24, 2018, 04:36:22 pm »

Hopefully dispatched for delivery rather than execution-style; the latter seems to be the net effect for many on this thread. ;)

mnem
Well yes, I sincerely you are right sir, but I'm not overly concerned as its coming from the same seller and carrier as bd139's one did and that arrived safe and sound so all should be well.  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9642 on: April 24, 2018, 04:47:32 pm »

mnem
Well yes, I sincerely ^hope^ you are right sir, but I'm not overly concerned as its coming from the same seller and carrier as bd139's one did and that arrived safe and sound so all should be well.  :popcorn:

Understood; however, as it seems that both delivery and execution are usually carried out by the same entity both with cunning efficiency and a ruthless random abandon utterly disproportionate to the care with which items are packed, I was still offering a small prayer to the internet gods that you may also win the lottery as did those who ordered before you. :D

mnem
"Oh my... here come those dear, sweet Indians again."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:01:46 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9643 on: April 24, 2018, 05:19:39 pm »
You place too much extrinsic value on a name. mnementh is a creature of the internet; he was born on BBSes and UseNet in the days of dialup, he has grown older and hopefully wiser over the decades, and he will die when his time comes. Just as there are times when the name my own mother gave me doesn't seem to fit, there are times when I consider changing his name; however, that wouldn't change the creature that appellation belongs to, any more than my choice of when to wear that skin online changes the person under it. The name has history belonging to that creature of the aether which has evolved independent of its wearer; I see no good reason to change it just because someone else makes assumptions and places value upon that name which doesn't exist. It's not like you're the first, or even the thousand and first, to comment on the origin of that name.  };=)~~~~<

I'm sorry, but alas and alack, paper periodicals have not been a part of my daily life since I gave up the corporate rat race; and now, they are very nearly extinct. If I wanted to know about the distasteful phenomenon known as green ink of which you speak, I suspect it would require considerable forensic work which I have precisely zero interest in pursuing.  ;)

We all take our turns going unhinged; if we didn't, we wouldn't be human. If you're suggesting that I strike you as a bit off, then thank you for the compliment. Just think of me as the comic relief; I have no quarrel whatsoever with that assertion, and I will happily play that role.

You're reading waaay more into this than is there.

I do however — and for the avoidance of any doubt this is not a comment on you — in general find that people's expressive power in their writing is in almost inverse proportion to their use of typographic features, beyond those that are, ipso facto, conventions. If you want a bit of emphasis, a little use of italics manages that, boldface still looks like shouting "Look at me!". Look at anything that's been through the hands of a sub-editor and a layout artist - there will be scant boldface there. You will however see judicious use of italics and – in typeset printing – use of en (–) and em (—) dashes for verbal parenthesis. Except when it's being used as an exemplar, if you notice the typography, it's probably best not there.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9644 on: April 24, 2018, 05:28:27 pm »

mnem
Well yes, I sincerely ^hope^ you are right sir, but I'm not overly concerned as its coming from the same seller and carrier as bd139's one did and that arrived safe and sound so all should be well.  :popcorn:

Understood; however, as it seems that both delivery and execution are usually carried out by the same entity both with cunning efficiency and a ruthless random abandon utterly disproportionate to the care with which items are packed, I was still offering a small prayer to the internet gods that you may also win the lottery as did those who ordered before you. :D

mnem

Don’t be alarmed when it turns up in some bubble wrap with a bin liner and tape around it. They travel well  :-+

Reply to meta thread:  :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9645 on: April 24, 2018, 05:29:30 pm »

You're reading waaay more into this than is there.

I do however — and for the avoidance of any doubt this is not a comment on you — in general find that people's expressive power in their writing is in almost inverse proportion to their use of typographic features, beyond those that are, ipso facto, conventions. If you want a bit of emphasis, a little use of italics manages that, boldface still looks like shouting "Look at me!". Look at anything that's been through the hands of a sub-editor and a layout artist - there will be scant boldface there. You will however see judicious use of italics and – in typeset printing – use of en (–) and em (—) dashes for verbal parenthesis. Except when it's being used as an exemplar, if you notice the typography, it's probably best not there.

You are applying your own conservative values (or probably, those of a journalism scenario) to this aspect of e-life, I'm afraid; these conventions differ from those used in newspapers because they are applied to a living conversation as opposed to a fait accompli article in print.

The convention for forum conversation and IRC chat is exactly as I have used it, and has been for decades since the days of useNet. I'll keep doing it that way, and conservatism be damned.  ;)

Cheers,

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:31:37 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9646 on: April 24, 2018, 05:37:45 pm »

Well, no... it sortof stopped being "Oh God, do we have to talk about that, again?" when you dragged the cluebrick into the discussion; then it became (IMO) premature moderation. That is when I decided to take up the discussion; I am no more bent out of shape over it than I am the weather. I've worn the mantle myself more times than I can count; I know the pressures involved intimately and I was speaking as such. You can take my comments as meddling or friendly kibbutzing if you prefer, but please don't take offense as none was intended, I promise.  :)

You misunderstand my use of bold text sir; and I can speak with authority of experience when I say that it is your misunderstanding, not my usage at fault. Bold text merely indicates the salient point you're trying to emphasize, not raised voice. I do this as a courtesy to the reader, as I know I'm prone to pontificate and it is reasonable to feel a certain level of TL/DR. The bolded text is for those folks who, not unreasonably, instinctively gag on sight of the kind of WoT I tend to generate, nothing  more.

I was born in the age of the British Invasion; my lullabies were crooned by the likes of Ian Anderson and Rory Gallagher. In fact, (and I'l swear this to you in person, if we ever meet) my very first words were a squeaky "JOE COCKER!!!" in response to my mother bringing out "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" to play.

Long may you live, Mister Anderson.  >:D

mnem
" 'es gawt spiders in 'is hair!!!" ~ My mom, speaking on Ian Anderson

Hmm, I know well of what you speak here young sir, my son is a moderator and co-owner of an aviation forum website and people will polarise themselves one way or another, and for the record and benefit of all the other parties involved, I'm not taking sides or showing any favouritism by commenting here.

The trick with moderating as I see it is really one of ensuring that nothing gets out of hand by offensive and flaming takes over, we are all individuals and have our own opinions and it is the airing of those opinions that help understand each others points of view.  We are, are we not all adults here and as such should respect each others view point and cut each other some slack?

Its my view that this topic about OS's is getting way out of hand and has been prolonged far longer then it would have done if objections to what was in effect very much related to the core subject of TEA, had not been raised in the first instance but we all have off days and react in a fashion that normally we wouldn't.

As to the use of bold or even capitals in a written message be it a letter or an email, then it very much depends on the amount used. If all the message in capitals, then yes it is considered to be shouting, but a few words here or there is not, it is considered as a way of emphasising something. This I know because I had to take legal advice with regard to an email I sent to a company director who had a thing about email etiquette. I used a few capitals for emphasis only and he took it personally that I was shouting at him and that in his view was not a proper way to communicate with a director. It was perfectly fine for him to draw certain assumptions about some actions that I was deemed to have done incorrectly etc and speak down to me and even used IIRC a few capitals but not the other way around. Anyway, the legal position is that the use of capitals, bold or italics as I had used them was a perfectly acceptable fashion of re-enforcing a point and that I was perfectly entitled to use them as a robust defense of myself.  In my defense at the time that I received the email from the director, I had also that day received some very disturbing personal news and and my normal more rational side was suppressed by the news I had received so I reacted without thinking it through properly.

Another situation I got myself into hot water with the MD over my use of the word "pro-rata" in an email, meaning proportional but the MD had other ideas as to what it meant and rather then finding out its true meaning, took it out on me, without even giving me the courtesy of explaining what I meant, he was judge and jury and I was guilty as charged in his view  :palm:

Anyway, lets not dwell on this subject any longer and draw a line in the sand and move on.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:43:50 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9647 on: April 24, 2018, 05:39:40 pm »

mnem

mnem

Don’t be alarmed when it turns up in some bubble wrap with a bin liner and tape around it. They travel well  :-+

I'll swap it for yours then  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9648 on: April 24, 2018, 05:47:36 pm »

I'll just assume Ifni heard me and was feeling generous. ;)

Meta? Hardly. More like meh.

This is nothing compared to some of the drunken discussions I engaged in as a youth over DM screen and a couple dozen empty pizza boxes. When someone spikes the Dew with Vodka (nearly inevitable as the clock nears the witching hour of 03:35-03:34 on the second day of a campaign); that's when things get interesting and someone winds up married to the Balrog rather than slaying it.

mnem
Out there. And loving it.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9649 on: April 24, 2018, 05:53:23 pm »
Anyway, lets not dwell on this subject any longer and draw a line in the sand and move on.

I think, I hope, that you mean "draw a line under it". Drawing a "line in the sand" normally means, "There's the line, you cross it, you get it (in the face/guts/whatever)".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf