Author Topic: YAOT: SDS1104X-E vs SDS1202X-E  (Read 7504 times)

Offline FeralTopic starter

• Contributor
YAOT: SDS1104X-E vs SDS1202X-E
« on: November 24, 2018, 08:14:27 pm »
Yet Another Oscilloscope Thread!

I have read many threads but want to make sure I am not missing anything before making a purchase.

Besides twice the bandwidth and half the channels, are there any functional differences between the SDS1202X-E and the SDS1104X-E?

Display quality?
Build quality?
Decode?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: YAOT: SDS1104X-E vs SDS1202X-E
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 08:49:55 pm »
Yet Another Oscilloscope Thread!

I have read many threads but want to make sure I am not missing anything before making a purchase.

Besides twice the bandwidth and half the channels, are there any functional differences between the SDS1202X-E and the SDS1104X-E?

Display quality?
Build quality?
Decode?
Welcome to the forum.

Several differences besides BW.

Things the 4ch X-E can do that the 2ch can't:
Webserver
Bode plot with compatible HW
Additional rear USB port
Search feature
Navigate feature

MSO          option
FG/AWG     option
WiFi           option

2ch
Slightly quieter fan
An experienced user can forego an additional channel for decode work on simple busses.

Build and display are to same standard.
GUI and UI are for all intensive purposes identical....minus features the 4ch has of course.
They each have different firmware versions.
SDS1202X-E is a strong seller, the 200 MHz BW and 500uV/div are it's highly attractive features.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Harjit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 09:26:15 pm »
I thought I read somewhere that through some "hacking", one could increase the bandwidth and add other functionality to the SDS1104X-E.

If this is the case, then with the changes, wouldn't the SDS1104X-E be "better" than the SDS1202X-E?

Thanks.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 09:46:01 pm »

Thanks for that.

I don't really need Bode plots. The web server is cool, but not a must have for me.

MSO? I don't think I would buy the hardware for it, but it is tempting. I do need to get a Saleae or clone though.

I like standalone FGs.

What is the second USB port for?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 10:00:47 pm »

Thanks for that.

I don't really need Bode plots. The web server is cool, but not a must have for me.

MSO? I don't think I would buy the hardware for it, but it is tempting. I do need to get a Saleae or clone though.

I like standalone FGs.

What is the second USB port for?
Whatever you like ! Charging you phone ?  :P

Normally you'd stick the WiFi dongle there so to have the front USB still readily available. Other uses can be powering active probes, the STB-3 signal test board, SAG1021 FG/AWG or Siglents ISFE.

We do look at what we need now however one should give thoughts to what your needs can/could grow to and this is where the 4ch X-E's can cater for your future needs pretty well......yeah I know....a salesman trying to up-sell but if you can afford the additional ~$120 for the 4ch X-E you're future proofing your investment some.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 10:13:31 pm »
We do look at what we need now however one should give thoughts to what your needs can/could grow to and this is where the 4ch X-E's can cater for your future needs pretty well......yeah I know....a salesman trying to up-sell but if you can afford the additional ~$120 for the 4ch X-E you're future proofing your investment some.

No worries on the up-sell!

I play with everything from audio op-amps to microwave RF to motion control. I have owned several o-scopes but none in the last 15 years (well, I did buy a Rigol DS1052E a few years ago - kept it two days and returned it).

I think the SDS1104X-E will win out in this case and I will also get a used analog scope for audio stuff.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 10:19:01 pm »
I thought I read somewhere that through some "hacking", one could increase the bandwidth and add other functionality to the SDS1104X-E.

If this is the case, then with the changes, wouldn't the SDS1104X-E be "better" than the SDS1202X-E?

Thanks.
Yes the 4ch models can be improved to 200 MHz and examples are in the SDS1004X-E thread and there's another thread with the 'how to do' info.
In std trim the -3dB point for the 100 MHz models is ~120 MHz.

The 'other functionality' is making the options permanent in addition to the 30 trial option usages.

No worries on the up-sell!

I play with everything from audio op-amps to microwave RF to motion control. I have owned several o-scopes but none in the last 15 years (well, I did buy a Rigol DS1052E a few years ago - kept it two days and returned it).

I think the SDS1104X-E will win out in this case and I will also get a used analog scope for audio stuff.
Try one for a bit, you seem to know what scopes are about and you should find the 1104X-E will meet your needs unless you do a lot of XY stuff where really these are not too bad for a cheap DSO.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:22:52 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 05:03:55 am »
Try one for a bit, you seem to know what scopes are about and you should find the 1104X-E will meet your needs unless you do a lot of XY stuff where really these are not too bad for a cheap DSO.

Yes, I have used many scopes ranging from very good to very bad. Tektronix, HP, IFR, Leader, BK, Goldstar, etc. But that was in the '80s and '90s.

However, the deed is done. The SDS1104X-E should be on its way shortly!  8)

Offline Harjit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 01:59:17 am »
@Feral: What are your thoughts on the SDS1104X-E?

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 02:20:18 pm »
@Feral: What are your thoughts on the SDS1104X-E?

I really, really like it! No real dislikes about it at all so far.

Cheap (relatively) digital scopes have come so far that I can't really see spending 4 times as much for a bigger player.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf