Author Topic: 3D Printing and Circuit Boards  (Read 9654 times)

Offline DarkModeTopic starter

• Contributor
3D Printing and Circuit Boards
« on: June 29, 2023, 09:12:39 am »
Has anyone attempted to manufacture their own circuit boards with their 3D printer?
I'm looking into this as an option.
I know 3D printers can be made into a drilling machine and I've seen some examples of routed designs, that's not what I'm asking. :box:

What material can you print that will hold up to the amount of heat needed for soldering - probably none?
I had a thought experiment of using wire Solder though the head to lay down tracks, has one done this crazy experiment.
Printing on PCB material directly, basically laying down the traces

Not as good as copper, I know .. I know..
Ps. I didn't want to deal with chemicals.
Just some random thoughts.   :popcorn:
This one, a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was, what he was doing, HA! Adventure Ha, excitement Ha ... you are reckless - Yoda

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: DarkMode

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
Re: 3D Printing and Circuit Boards
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 05:24:18 pm »
One of the main issues would be trace width and spacing, if you could find a way to get a printer to lay down the right sort of material it would be hardto get thin enough traces to be really useful, and where they came even slightly close together there would be a good chance of them sticking to each other as they printed.

The following users thanked this post: DarkMode

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 06:30:21 pm »
You can print conductive materials and that might be a nice way to connect two boards together or get signals from let's say the board to the LED in the head of an object without using wires.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline fghlw

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 03:07:19 pm »
if the printer include two or more "heads", and exist some conducting material(possible). One head print base another print “route”. how to solder it, maybe special glue?

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 09:45:15 pm »
This one was kind of clever, though really only feasible for "toy" scenarios, wouldn't work for anything very big/complex:

https://www.instructables.com/3D-Printed-Circuit-Boards-for-solder-free-printab/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf