Products > 3D printing

Resize a STL File For Me

<< < (24/26) > >>

bostonman:
I’ll tinker with it over the weekend.

Just for the record, I’m not necessarily trying to perfect learning FreeCAD, but more about trying to understand the foundation of it so I can understand what I’m actually looking at when I create a model. The goal and obvious method is to use the latest version rather than learn outdated tools, but I like learning the foundation rather than just steps.

bostonman:
I hate to request another knob, but I tried tinkering with the design in v21 and can't figure out much.

Recently I purchased an Agilent 54831M scope with a missing horizontal knob (and broken shaft - something I'm in the process of replacing). I already have the same scope, so I'm able to measure the knob (and provide pictures which I'll post shortly).

I tried tinkering with the current knob design, but I couldn't figure out the tree structure. Is it too much trouble to edit the design (or create a fresh one if that's easier)?

You'll notice the face is slightly curved, but, I'm not looking for a perfect match, just something somewhat close. Due to the encoder being replaced, the current shaft size is a D shape and I've attached the dimensions from the datasheet.

On a side note, the knobs are slightly rubber type (I guess for better gripping). Does a filament exist that would be hard like PLA but slightly rubbery?

Edit: it would probably help if I included dimensions :)

base: 0.965" diameter
face: 0.9" diameter
length: 0.5"
little dimple on front: 0.38"

MarkF:
Do you still want it in the old version of FreeCAD?

How many flutes (i.e. indents) are there on the outside?

How far does the shaft stick out from the scope face?
  (i.e. is the depth of the D-slot even with the scope face?)

bostonman:
I'll count the flutes later.

The encoder shaft (as mentioned) is broken and replacements are unavailable. Someone on eBay is selling used ones for $92 (or so), but long story short, I found an alternate. The encoder leads need to be connected differently, and the only other difference is the shaft length.

From what I can tell, it's maybe 2mm shorter, but panel doesn't allow for the knob to go in any farther. The original knob D slot is flush with the back of the knob, so a 2mm shorter shaft shouldn't be a problem. If anything, I can (and probably will) put a dab of epoxy to hold it on.

It can be done in v21. My laptop runs that and I know it's easier.

MarkF:
I have struggled with this one in version 0.16.
About ready to give up on the finger flutes on the outside when I thought of a new approach.
You should be able to open it in either version of FreeCAD.

Here is a version with 11 flutes you can have a play around with:
 - You can change the flute count by selecting the 'array' in the tree and changing 'number polar' in properities.
 - I just took a wild guess at the D-slot.  So, fix the dimensions in 'sketch002'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version