Author Topic: Altium previous and next document shortcut not working  (Read 1121 times)

Offline ricko_ukTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Altium previous and next document shortcut not working
« on: June 02, 2022, 12:59:47 am »
(reposted here - originally posted in the wrong forum)

Hi,
according to Altium's documentation to "Step forward to the next document in the sequence of documents that have been made active in the main design window" the shortcut is Alt+Right Arrow and for the previous one is Alt+Left Arrow. See here: https://www.altium.com/documentation/altium-designer/shortcut-keys

But they don't seem to work AND I cannot find where I can set it up as shortcut. Any idea?

Just to be clear I am not looking for the "Cycle forward to the next open tabbed document" which is Ctrl+Tab and that does work. That often switches to a library or other files I currently have open. I just want to quickly move back and forth between two or three documents I am curently working on (i.e. between a couple of SCH sheets and a PCB sheet during placement.

Also:
- how do you setup a custom function for two extra mouse buttons you often have on various mice?
- how do you change the wheel direction?

Any suggestion?

Thank you :)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Altium previous and next document shortcut not working
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 04:41:18 pm »
I had a look at this and then figured I hadn't a clue what it was meant to do in the first place. What is " the sequence of documents that have been made active in the main design window"?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 06:21:27 pm »
Thank you dunkemhigh! :)

What is " the sequence of documents that have been made active in the main design window"?

For example:
I made active (i.e. edited or at least opened in the main window to look at, whether I edited it or not) the following documents in the following order:
schematic A
then PCB 1
then schematic B
then schematic C.

So I am now on schematic C...
I then want - with a shortcut - backtrack (i.e. move backward) within that same sequence of documents I made active (edited or at least looked at).
So because I am on schmatic C, by pressing a shortcut Altium should make active Schematic B then if pressed again go to PCB 1 and then schematic A.
And another shortcut pressed at any point then would do the same in the forward direction.

There used to be a green arrow on the top left of Altium that would do that. If I remember well the pop-up tip of that icon was just saying "Back".
But it is not there anymore...

Thank you :)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 06:36:50 pm »
ctrl-tab (next)and ctrl-shift-tab (previous)

hint : double clicking next to the tabs goes into full-screen mode. (alt-F5)
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 10:16:47 pm »
ctrl-tab cycles through all tabs though, even a non-project dblib (for instance), and apparently that's not the behaviour he is after.

The only alt-left/right action I could discover (doing anything) was navigating the project tree. I think Altium must've had a left hand/right hand problem with this.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 12:25:00 am »
Thank you both,

@free_electron, yes, the CTRL+TAB, as mentioned in my previous posts/replies, does not do what I am trying to do. As also as dunkemhigh mentiones, unfortunately CTRL+TAB cycles through ALL documents (see detailed description in my previous reply. If it followed Windows standards it should do that but it doesn't.

To do what I am after, there used to be a green left arrow icon at the top which is exactly what I want to do with a shortcut but that disappeared too. Any idea how to at least enable/display that icon (again, it disappeared in the recent versions)?

Thank you both :)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 07:52:07 pm »
FWIW, as of 16.1.9 it was Navigation, process: 'Client:Navigate', parameters: 'Mode=Back' (or Forward).  If you can't find the buttons in current AD maybe the command is still there?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 09:29:22 pm »
Found it. Open a schematic, right click the toolbar area and tick 'Navigation'. The small navigation toolbar appears on the right with the forward back buttons.

But... they work exactly the same as ctl-tab in that if you have a PCB document open they step into that (and because the nav toolbar isn't enabled in the PCB editor, they now disappear).

I think there must have been an overhaul of the interface and they figured the forward/back was no longer needed on account of the standardised ctl-tab doing it, more or less. They are left in to please those that much have toobar buttons.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 12:02:37 am »
Thank you Tim and dunkemhigh! :)

I have not enabled it but it looks like it has a bug at least in version 21.6.

Lets say you click on a series of schematics you can navigate back and forth in the right order.
If you then make active few PCB documents it navigates back and forth only until you navigate forward to the last PCB document. After that if you navigate back and try to navigate forth again Altium seem to lose the last document (i.e,. you cannot navigate forward to it anymore with those shortcuts).

Also if you then navigate back from a PCB document to a SCH in order to make the transition to the schematic you have to click "back" twice and it eventually makes active the most recent schematic.

If you have time and feeel like trying, it would be interesting to know if you have the same issue or not.

Thank you again!! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf