Author Topic: Vector logotype for silk screen layers  (Read 17688 times)

Offline shadewindTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Vector logotype for silk screen layers
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:45:08 pm »
I've seen people using company logotypes and similar vector images for PCBs. How can I add this to an Altium Designer PCB document?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Vector logotype for silk screen layers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:03:02 pm »
There probably is a way to add a picture directly but i cant say ive seen it.

Ya could convert a vector image into a true type font, since altium designer lets you add text in any font to your pcb.

Its also possible they are doing it to the gerbers files afterwards
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:04:37 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:54:56 am »
You can convert a bitmap to a shape using a script: DXP -> Run Script. Then browse
Code: [Select]
Altium Designer\Examples\Scripts\Delphiscript Scripts\Pcb\PCB Logo Creatorand run it.

Offline mkissin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:11:55 pm »
The easiest way that I've seen (and the way I do it) is to create a 2-bit *.bmp file.

Note, it's very important that the file is actually 2-bit. Many programs will tell you that the file is 2-bit and then go ahead and save it in a higher bit format. Irfanview is one program that will actually respect your format.

Once you have that file, you can open it in Windows Paint (again, this is fairly important), CTRL-A, CTRL-C

Then in altium designer, select the layer you want to paste the image onto, and paste. You can paste onto overlay, copper, or any other layer type. Any pixels  that were black in the bitmap will come out as filled. White pixels will be empty.

Once your image has been pasted in, you can turn it into a union and resize it as you like.

Offline shadewindTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:48:04 pm »
I found another way as well. You can export as DWG or DXF from Adobe Illustrator and you can then import that into Altium. You have to fiddle a bit with the export settings in Illustrator and the import settings in Alitum but it does work reasonably well if you make sure you don't have any non-outlined fonts.

Offline zeke

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:57:54 am »
The easiest method I've found is this:

- open up microsoft word,
- paste your image into a blank document,
- copy that image with ctrl-c,
- open up your pcb file in altium and
- paste it into the silkscreen layer.

It works for me.

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:21:05 pm »
I found another way as well. You can export as DWG or DXF from Adobe Illustrator and you can then import that into Altium. You have to fiddle a bit with the export settings in Illustrator and the import settings in Alitum but it does work reasonably well if you make sure you don't have any non-outlined fonts.

Hi Shadewind,

Could you elaborate on what settings you need to change in Illustrator and Altium to get this to work?  Last week I tried to import a DXF logo without success, but I do have Illustrator available, and would like to make it work.  For my work last week, I finally imported a bitmap by cut/paste, and then traced out the regions in Altium, then saved the logo as a snippet.  Not ideal.

Thanks,

Dave

Offline timorousme

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:29:42 pm »
What's the script for Dave's platypus?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf