Author Topic: AC/DC Clamp Meter- UPDATE: UNI-T 210E PRO - aaaaaand, EXCELLENT!  (Read 6458 times)

Offline DW1961Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
AC/DC Clamp Meter- UPDATE: UNI-T 210E PRO - aaaaaand, EXCELLENT!
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:41:45 pm »
Well, after having no luck with another Clamp meter, due mostly to my own screw up, I found another one (Amazon Vine Free) that reads to milliamps to 3/1000s, which is what I need.

I just wanted to ask if this is really how I am understanding the read out, before I again request it from Amazon Vine. It's a UNI-T model AC/DC clamp meter. I need it to measure to at least .00 for 1 Amp and below current measurements. And, 0.00 for 1-5 amp current measurements. It looks to me like it does 0.000 (if I am seeing it correctly in their video).

UNI-T UT210E
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PP15B87/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:23:09 am by DW1961 »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: AC/DC Clamp Meter
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:48:05 pm »
Search is your friend...  ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/

EDIT: Looking at the Amazon listing, that's the UT210E Pro version...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-uni-t-ut210e-pro-problem/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:53:54 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: DW1961

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:50:14 pm »
Search is your friend...  ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/

EDIT: Looking at the Amazon listing, that's the UT210E Pro version...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-uni-t-ut210e-pro-problem/

Just ordered it. The internals even look god with PTCs and MOVs. Pricey, though, at 54.00 bucks, but it looks like they have done a fairly good job on this meter. Finally, a decent clamp meter for DC current!  yay!

I thought I remembered people talking about the UNI-T product here. Just didn't know for sure.

The following users thanked this post: Capernicus

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:47:06 pm »
Here's another test of the old model: https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMUNI-TUT210E%20UK.html

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 10:23:58 pm »
The UT-210E is pretty good at picking through tiny capacitors with a 1pf resolution (0.000nf). While not exactly the most accurate at that level, it does pick them out of an unsorted pile of salvaged SMDs.  A good portion of handheld meters only measure down to 10pf at best (00.00nf)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 01:30:52 am »
The UT-210E is pretty good at picking through tiny capacitors with a 1pf resolution (0.000nf). While not exactly the most accurate at that level, it does pick them out of an unsorted pile of salvaged SMDs.  A good portion of handheld meters only measure down to 10pf at best (00.00nf)

Good to know. I'm sure I'll be using this for all of my current measurements now. So much easier. If it's continuity option is fast, it may become my main meter for DC work. Glad I posted. It took a six months, but Vine finally had a nice DC clamp meter!

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 05:05:25 pm »
I need it to measure to at least .00 for 1 Amp and below current measurements. And, 0.00 for 1-5 amp current measurements. It looks to me like it does 0.000 (if I am seeing it correctly in their video).

Also thinking about this DMM. Some people said that it has weak plastic case. So, I'm not sure...

According to feedback from other peoples, the minimum current which can be measured with this clamp meter is about 10 mA.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 08:04:34 pm »
I need it to measure to at least .00 for 1 Amp and below current measurements. And, 0.00 for 1-5 amp current measurements. It looks to me like it does 0.000 (if I am seeing it correctly in their video).

Also thinking about this DMM. Some people said that it has weak plastic case. So, I'm not sure...

According to feedback from other peoples, the minimum current which can be measured with this clamp meter is about 10 mA.
The one I linked to above says 1mA. When I asked what the readout looked like at .89Amps, they replied 0.890

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 06:22:35 am »
I just got this meter today.

Bottom line: Excellent. This is the best Chinese brand meter I've gotten from Amazon. I didn't open it up because that's already been done, and the PTCs and MOVs look good.

This thing feels like quality all around. Of course, I didn't take it part and check the rotary switch, or anything like that, but the case is very high quality, high impact, tactile plastic with rubberized grips and rubberized rotary knob. Someone here said they were concerned because someone else said the case isn't built too well. Well, it is--very, very, very well made case. I got no resistance from the leads either. Very nice leads.

It's auto-ranging, so you expect some delay in the current reading, but nope. Quick as shit and same for continuity. I tested it with a 12V strip of 2 SMDs 5050. The calculation for each SMD are between .21 and.24 watts each, or .056 amps for three of them full on @ 12V. the3 meter was dead on, giving my a read out at .061 amps (which is right on for the higher side).

The NCV function is also quality. It's extremely sensitive and goes off immediately from about 4" from a power source.

I'm impressed. It's my new main multimeter for DC work.

REALLY happy after all of the Chinese crap I requested and reviewed. Finally--got a nice clamp meter for DC current and work! Stoked.

It also runs on 2 AAA batts.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
Re: AC/DC Clamp Meter- UPDATE: UNI-T 210E PRO - aaaaaand, EXCELLENT!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 12:31:36 pm »
can you please perform a small test?
Put 2 mA and 3 mA current through the clamp, what current is displayed?

I think 50 usd is too expensive for DMM with 2000 counts. For 20-30 USD it will be ok.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:34:21 pm by radiolistener »

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 01:09:57 pm »
You can increase the resolution to 6000 counts on the original 210 just by modifying a few bytes in the EEPROM, though obviously it won't improve the accuracy.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 06:14:34 pm »

I think 50 usd is too expensive for DMM with 2000 counts. For 20-30 USD it will be ok.

I have no way to do that. I think the lowest I can go is about 20mA with the electronics I have. I don't have a bench supply :(. Do you have a way I can get that low in amps? If so, I'll surely do it. I have a 12V RGB light strip which can use as little as 3 SMDs. Each SMD wide open uses between .21-.24 watts. I think if I put them all on the red mode, they consume about 1/3 of that or about 20mA.

For me, I would not have any reason to read that little current. When I tested three 5050s wide open, the reading was .059. I could try it with only the red leds lit, which I think take the least power. I could probably get it down to around 4-5mA. I just don't know exactly how much the red LEDs take. So, no way to make sure it's exactly any specific mA in the first  place.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 06:36:47 pm »
Do you have a way I can get that low in amps?

Just load 2 V power supply with 1 kOhm resistor. Or 12 V power supply with 6 kOhm resistor.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 06:40:51 pm »
For me, I would not have any reason to read that little current.

it is very useful to detect standby current leakage to understand how long your device can work from the battery.

When device has very high current on battery connect, it's very hard to measure current with usual DMM. Because when you connect the battery it leads to 20-30 Amps current consumption and it will burn usual DMM with 10 Amp limit.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 01:40:22 am »
For me, I would not have any reason to read that little current.

it is very useful to detect standby current leakage to understand how long your device can work from the battery.

When device has very high current on battery connect, it's very hard to measure current with usual DMM. Because when you connect the battery it leads to 20-30 Amps current consumption and it will burn usual DMM with 10 Amp limit.

Ahh ok good information. I don't have any resistors. Well, don't use a 10Amp meter on a 30 amp application?

Why not ask the seller on Amazon? Then, if they say it's good to go, buy one and test it. You can always send it back free of charges.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 01:58:29 pm »
Why not ask the seller on Amazon? Then, if they say it's good to go, buy one and test it. You can always send it back free of charges.

Note that not everyone on this forum lives in the US. And even though I live in the US and have Amazon Prime I don't get free shipping or free returns on the 210E Pro.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 07:01:31 pm »

Note that not everyone on this forum lives in the US. And even though I live in the US and have Amazon Prime I don't get free shipping or free returns on the 210E Pro.

It looks as if you are correct. You could still contact UNI-T and ask them. This thing says it has a lifetime warranty. UNI-T has been around a long time, so I would "assume" it would be no problem. "UNI-T WARRANTY – A trouble-free experience with 100% LIFETIME WARRANTY and 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE by UNI-T Direct! "

However, why order it when you can just ask?

Anyway, it's strange this item isn't included in amazon's free returns because it is quite popular.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 07:15:57 pm »
Anyway, it's strange this item isn't included in amazon's free returns because it is quite popular.

It's not sold or delivered by them, why would they handle the returns?

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 08:44:40 pm »
"UNI-T WARRANTY – A trouble-free experience with 100% LIFETIME WARRANTY and 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE by UNI-T Direct! "

You likely have to ship it back to China to get your money back or get a replacement.

We like to validate the claims of the manufacturer before we spend our hard-earned money -- especially if returning the item is not really an option. That's why tear-down and test videos are so popular on Dave's channel and others. Lots of up-and-coming companies have made wild claims about the performance of their produces only to be disproved or found to be true only under certain conditions when tested.

Being able to measure low DC current with a clamp meter is very convenient because you don't have to break the circuit. For instance, measuring the current draw on a car battery when its turned off - there will be a draw to keep the wireless sensors active.

The following users thanked this post: odarek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 06:13:55 am »
"UNI-T WARRANTY – A trouble-free experience with 100% LIFETIME WARRANTY and 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE by UNI-T Direct! "

You likely have to ship it back to China to get your money back or get a replacement.

We like to validate the claims of the manufacturer before we spend our hard-earned money -- especially if returning the item is not really an option. That's why tear-down and test videos are so popular on Dave's channel and others. Lots of up-and-coming companies have made wild claims about the performance of their produces only to be disproved or found to be true only under certain conditions when tested.

Being able to measure low DC current with a clamp meter is very convenient because you don't have to break the circuit. For instance, measuring the current draw on a car battery when its turned off - there will be a draw to keep the wireless sensors active.

Well, ask them about returns. If they say you can return it free or whatever, and they don't honor that, and you have that in your Amazon mail, Amazon will make it right.

I'd just ask about the readout and have that in the Amazon mail system. Tell them exactly what you need, and then you have a record of it. If it doesn't do what they say, tell Amazon about it. Tell the vendor (which is UNI-T) you don't want to pay for return shipping if what they say isn't true about the meter.

Offline odarek

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2021, 09:43:27 pm »
Hi,

can you please unscrew the back cover and take some photos with components ids and put them here?
so that we can compare the newer version of the meter "UT-210E PRO" with the older model "UT-210E" (without PRO)

has anyone already tried to improve (hack) the newer version of this meeter?

Best regards,
oDarek

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 12:24:33 am »

Displaying 2-3mA is not really realistic with these.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 07:39:41 am »

There is one on Amazon Vine right now that says it can measure to 1mA. I was going to request it too, but naw. Hmmm, maybe I will. lol.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MX3PTBW

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 04:48:08 pm »

There is one on Amazon Vine right now that says it can measure to 1mA. I was going to request it too, but naw. Hmmm, maybe I will. lol.

It might measure 1mA...  as long as you are OK with an accuracy of +/-500%  :D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 05:51:35 pm »

From teh webapge:

DC current: 6A/60A/100A 0.001A/0.01A/0.1A ±(3.0%+5counts) DC current(μA): 0-200μA 0.1μA ±(0.8%+5counts)

It might measure 1mA...  as long as you are OK with an accuracy of +/-500%  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf