Author Topic: Adding series resistance to DVM probes  (Read 311 times)

Offline tojovTopic starter

Adding series resistance to DVM probes
« on: January 25, 2024, 07:13:03 am »
I was going through the book Troubleshooting Analog Circuits by Bob Pease. I came across a very interesting line in it's second chapter (Choosing the Right Equipment): "The most important reason to use a high-input-impedance DVM is because sometimes it's necessary to put 33 kOhm or 100 kOhm resistors in series with the probe, right near the circuit-under-test, to prevent the DVM's input capacitance from causing the circuit to oscillate". I couldn't really understand what he meant here. I haven't come across anyone using series resistance with voltmeter probes, and I also couldn't understand the part about input capacitance causing oscillations. Can anyone help me out on this one?
NB: DVM - Digital Voltmeter

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Adding series resistance to DVM probes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 10:33:27 am »
The measuring probes + their wires have some parasitic capacitance, and some parasitic inductance, too (parasitic as in unwanted).  Same, the DVM itself has some input capacitance.  While measuring with the DVM, by connecting the DVM probes to your DUT (Device Under Test) all these parasitic inductance and capacitance become connected to your DUT, and that might make it unstable.  If you add a resistor right at the tip of the probe, then the parasitic capacitance is isolated from your DUT (isolated in the sense of making the parasitic capacitance less influential, so not with the meaning of galvanic isolation).

That advice is valid for very, very sensitive analog circuits only, and depends in what point you are measuring.  Clip that 30-100k resistor to the tip of the DVM probe only if you notice that your DUT behaves very differently (or even starts to oscillate) when you measure it.

It is not something one should worry about while casually probing voltages, but a trick to keep in mind for just in case.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 10:50:39 am by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: tojov

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf