Author Topic: Best type of insulator pad for a to-220 LM317 power supply?  (Read 5407 times)

Offline george gravesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Best type of insulator pad for a to-220 LM317 power supply?
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:36:27 am »
I'm thinking of building a power supply using a lm-317.  The tab is connected to the output pin.  So I'm assuming it would be a good idea to insulate that from the heat sink that will be sticking out of the case?

I see there are silicon( or "silica") pads, and "Mica" pads.  What performs better?  What should I use?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Best type of insulator pad for a to-220 LM317 power supply?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:43:13 am »
Mica is generally better under significant heat,

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:59:17 am »
Silpads are the easiest to use and the most repeatable.  Mica is good but suffers from poor thickness and flatness control, and its performance depends on how well you apply the thermal grease.  I would generally use a sil-pad unless I was really pushing the edge.  In that case I would probably go straight to an aluminum heat spreader insulated from the main heat sink by kapton film.

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:42:36 am »
Silicone is easier, it doesn't require separate thermal interface grease, whilst mica does.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:32:14 pm »
When I built an LM317 PSU, I soldered the heat sink directly to a piece of copper bar which was fixed to the metal case, for insulation I used plain old Sellotape which worked perfectly.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:55:24 pm »
plain old Sellotape
if you talking about that transparent plastic shiny sellotape, extreme heat will screw it up, electrical tape is better heat resistant. if the op dont have a screw and nut to stick to the heatsink, my way is silicone that people used to seal aquarium (in tube) in between any insulation used. or the "elephant" glue, not sure what its called, but usually it has elephant picture on the bottle and if you put one drop between your fingers and put together, the fingers will stick each other within seconds.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:19:49 pm »
elephant glue sounds like superglue, and really, you never want to heat superglue over 75 degrees, parts of it vapourises, and it burns your eyes and nose even hours later :/

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:42:14 am »
plain old Sellotape
if you talking about that transparent plastic shiny sellotape, extreme heat will screw it up, electrical tape is better heat resistant.
I never had a problem, partly because the LM317 was already soldered to a piece of copper bar which spread the heat more evenly. Oh and electrical tape will be worse because it's normally made of PVC which has a lower melting point than cellophane or polypropylene which is what Sellotape is made from.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf