Author Topic: buck converter for 5V output with high efficiency at light loads (0.1A)  (Read 370 times)

Offline davegravyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi I've been looking through converter datasheets and efficiencies always seem to drop off near the no-load end of the load spectrum.

I've been working on prototyping with the LM64460CPP but from my other thread I'm having many challenges (ie burned ICs) and I'm wondering if there are other more beginner-friendly converters with features geared toward maintaining light-load efficiency like the aforementioned IC.

Input range: 8-16V
Output voltage: 5V
Output current 0.1A nominal, 0.7A peak

I'm hoping for >95% efficiency at 0.1A load.
I'm not adverse to a more expensive IC or component set or a largish footprint.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
DC-DC have costs for their own needs and losses.
This part is constant and therefore becomes noticeable at low load.

If you are carrying an empty backpack, you feel its weight. When you put a 16kg dumbbell in your backpack, you won't notice the whole backpack.

You should not worry about efficiency, but about your own DC-DC consumption.
Usually, low-power sources have less self power than high-power ones.
Just choose a DC-DC close to the rated power.
And sorry for my English.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
I saw boost converter inside a bluetooth earbuds charging case, It always outputted 5V no matter what, but it only took 100uA from the battery with no output load.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
I've used TPS62933 and it works fine for me. Pretty low quiescent current, but still high enough that I won't use it on long lasting battery powered devices without some sort of gating. Very simple application circuit but pain in the ass (but reasonably doable) to solder manually.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 02:22:29 pm by ArdWar »

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
I've used TPS62933 and it works fine for me. Pretty low quiescent current, but still high enough that I won't use it on long lasting battery powered devices without some sort of gating. Very simple application circuit but pain in the ass (but reasonably doable) to solder manually.
Maybe the voltage divider for FB consumes excess current and charges the Cout, forcing it to constantly recharge?
And sorry for my English.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf