Author Topic: Can I run this welder on my home wiring?  (Read 11638 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Can I run this welder on my home wiring?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 07:12:52 pm »
While the circuit is rated for 16A, it typically will be protected by a 20A breaker, which will generally not trip for the time it takes to use up the single rod.

That would be a 20A circuit, not a 16A circuit.

In Australia/NZ I do understand they can either be 16A or 20A outlets, but even there the 16A outlet will still be able to handle a short period of welding using a 2.5mm welding rod, as there you are between 80-110A or so, so the input power draw will be lower than 30A.

Typical domestic 3 pin outlet here is only 10A rated, the outlet that is, but often via a 20A MCB when 2.5mm + cable is installed. We do now have another 3 pin outlet, 16A rated that has a wider Earth pin, plugs for which do not fit the 10A outlet, however 10A plugs do fit the 16A outlet. Makes sense IMO.

High draw appliances now come with these 16A plugs so they can't be connected to the 10A outlets that in domestic installations "mostly" are only served via 1.5mm cabling.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline dan.soethe

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 09:54:13 pm »
230V x 16A = 3,680W

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
  • Former Welder, IT guy, and Ham Radio Junkie
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 10:15:56 pm »
230V x 16A = 3,680W

Well, 230V x 16A = 3680 VA, which is fine for an ampacity calculation. The wattage used may be different (AC circuit) and then you get into power factor, and that's the point I'm no longer qualified to talk about the subject. :)

I'm hoping someone will chime in, as I've seen welding machines that have the option of adding power factor correction capacitors, and I've always wanted to know how that works, why or why not I would want them.. and when I've asked people who I considered experts, I found they don't know anything, and my own research has been confusing at best.

Offline dan.soethe

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2015, 12:16:26 am »
Power factor is probably, useful for power distribution.  But for end users, power factor should be close to 0°.
So VAs are aprox. the same as Watts. :)

Offline briselec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 02:10:38 am »
In some places the electricity supplier charges industrial and commercial users more depending on their power factor. Not something to worry about for domestic use.

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
  • Former Welder, IT guy, and Ham Radio Junkie
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2015, 02:51:53 am »
I'm aware it's a non issue for domestic use, but i'd like to be informed about power factor in relation to welding machines in industrial situations for my own edification.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 04:39:08 am »
So, SA has firestarter wiring regulations. This is not typical.

Most electrical fires here are started by the usual things, stove left on with a pot of oil, cheap imported non approved electrical appliance failing in flames, or the most common shack wiring where any semblance of safety is not even considered, bare conductors strung haphazardly, fusing by the substation fuse only, no breakers and night illumination by the red glowing wires.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 07:32:23 am »
My WSE200P 200A TIG welder is rated 220V 20A 4.5Kva and i run it on a normal 16A wall outlet.
I don't weld anything at 200A though, so it never draws that much.
China welders have a tendency to blow up if you run them close to the max output.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2015, 08:03:10 am »
My buzzbox runs most of the time between 80-110A, while the inverter welder is often used at around 60-80A for about the same job. Buzzbox also doubles as a car battery booster, using a half wave rectifier diode ( an old generic press fit one on a big block of plate as heatsink and a 40A thermal breaker) so I can do a quick battery boost if needed when flat. Not efficient, and definitely heats up more, but does work for a single start after 2 minutes.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2015, 03:11:01 pm »
Oh, and I almost forget, don't buy Chinese Welding Machines. You will only be sorry and wind up with a piece of shit that will leave you wondering if these bad welds are the fault of you or the machine.

As with everything there are good and bad MIG welders that come out of China.  In the UK the "Clarke" branded welders are reasonably well made and good value, I've had a 150 Amp Clarke machine for 15 years or so and it has seen a lot of use.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2015, 04:50:54 pm »
should i recommend the wet and heavy transformer welding? it has nothing just a big 30kg transformer with 3 output, and cooling oils... very little can go wrong very little to take care if something wrong... my cheap and china brand has been years with me, few time modded the broken rusted wiring inside. with china "dry" and light weld machine i've heard many damage stories and i'm not sure how to fix that if i have one...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf