Author Topic: Can someone explain what am I scoping?  (Read 10445 times)

Offline miceuzTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • chirp - a soil moisture meter / plant watering alarm
Can someone explain what am I scoping?
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:38:07 am »
As per advice in this thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/cheap-source-of-8mhz-square-wave/msg565436/#msg565436 I've built an inverter oscillator using SN74HC04 inverter and 12 Mhz ZTT ceramic resonator http://www.ecsxtal.com/store/pdf/zttr.pdf It's a standard minimal oscillator setup as in ZTT datasheet, with one inverter in oscillator and one for buffering, no dampening resistor.

At first I've built everything on a breadboard, the waveform was terrible, I thought, all the stray capacitance is affecting and 12MHz is a bit too much for it, so I've soldered everything on a piece of copper board.

The waveform was a lot better, but still with quite significant overshoot and undershoot. I've tried adding a dampening resistor, but that didn't work, I've tried adding a resistor between output of the first inverter and input of the second one, but that didn't affect the waveform anyhow.

Then I thought that maybe the problem is in my probing setup, I was already using probe in x10 mode, so I tried to get rid of ground lead, I've used a spring on a probe. The waveform is somewhat better, but still overshoots are there.

Then I've tried adding a 330 Ohm resistor at the output and scoping after this resistor. Whaoa.. overshoots are gone.

Another pecularity - since I have a resistor at the input of the second buffering inverter, I can see that the waveform entering the second inverter is without overshoots, but I can see overshoots at the output.

My question is - how do I interpret what I see here? Are the edges of the oscillator too steep for my scope to display? Or is the oscillator really producing the waveform with those overshoots and scope probe 15pF capacitance in conjunction with 330 Ohm resistor filtering those out?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:44:49 am by miceuz »

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
Re: Can someone explain what am I scoping?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:19:16 am »
As per advice in this thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/cheap-source-of-8mhz-square-wave/msg565436/#msg565436 I've built an inverter oscillator using SN74HC04 inverter and 12 Mhz ZTT ceramic resonator http://www.ecsxtal.com/store/pdf/zttr.pdf It's a standard minimal oscillator setup as in ZTT datasheet, with one inverter in oscillator and one for buffering, no dampening resistor.

At first I've built everything on a breadboard, the waveform was terrible, I thought, all the stray capacitance is affecting and 12MHz is a bit too much for it, so I've soldered everything on a piece of copper board.

Errr.. Why do you care at all ? You got your generator producing square waveform, it works.
Is you 10x probe properly compensated ? (tuning that tiny capacitor in the probe while wathching signal from scope's calibrator)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:47 am »
Errr.. Why do you care at all ? You got your generator producing square waveform, it works.
Is you 10x probe properly compensated ? (tuning that tiny capacitor in the probe while wathching signal from scope's calibrator)

Err.. I want to be sure it's really square. Also the knowledge  ;)

The scope has 1kHz calibration signal, no noticable ringing there.

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:16 am »
There is no such thing as "really square", you can't achieve zero rise time :)
Also, there are a lot of very good video lessons explainig proper termination, problems with ringing, etc. etc. from forum members. e.g
https://www.youtube.com/user/w2aew/videos

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:12:18 pm »
Driving capacitive loads with fast devices tends to cause overshoot, and your probe is a big ol' capacitor. Build yourself a Z0 probe if you want to see an accurate picture of a digital signal.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 12:14:37 pm »
I'd check how much ringing you have on the supply and ground too, the decoupling looks to be via long leads and path lengths.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 12:17:37 pm »
Congratulations, your circuit is working. The rise/fall times seem to be consistent with the information on the datasheet.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 12:22:25 pm »
I'd check how much ringing you have on the supply and ground too, the decoupling looks to be via long leads and path lengths.

This too. FWIW, I got this with 74HC (Toshiba 74HC00), so you can definitely get a much cleaner rise with what you have:

No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 08:13:29 pm »
Yeah... decoupling is not the best - 150mV peak to peak... will have a look into it.

Unfortunately the coax cable I have is of some unknown origin, so Z0 probe will have to wait till tomorrow. I have tried to make Z0 with the cable I have and all I could see was just huge capacitive loading.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:15:59 pm by miceuz »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:47:38 pm »
After shortening capacitor leads, ripple on VCC bacame much better. Twice better really  ;D

After adding a 1nF cap it became twice better again.

No joy at the output though.. As a side note - my scope gives me rise time of 4.3ns. It's a 50MHz Rigol DS1052. According to a formula I saw somewhere on the net while researching Z0 probes, to display 4.3ns rise time I need 1/(pi*4.3ns)=74MHz of bandwidth. And it's 50MHz scope. Is this why I see those over/undershoots?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:55:44 pm by miceuz »

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 09:29:19 pm »
I can't tell for sure, but based on the first photo on the first photo on the first post of this thread, it looks like you might have a long ground lead on your scope probe.  This can cause issues when trying to see sharp transitions with lots of high frequency components.  W2AEW, who sometimes frequents this forum, has made a couple of good videos on the subject.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:10 pm »
I can't tell for sure, but based on the first photo on the first photo on the first post of this thread, it looks like you might have a long ground lead on your scope probe.  This can cause issues when trying to see sharp transitions with lots of high frequency components.  W2AEW, who sometimes frequents this forum, has made a couple of good videos on the subject.

Yeah I know, the third picture in the first post is a waveform captures with short spring ground lead  ;) I know W2AEW and have learned a lot of stuff from his channel, but in this case I just want to understand - where does the overshoot come from? Another bit of knowledge about proper probing techniques  :-/O

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:10:11 pm »
I just want to understand - where does the overshoot come from?

Look up the Gibbs Phenomenon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbs_phenomenon

If you have a perfect square wave, and pass it through a filter with a finite bandwidth such that the higher frequency components are blocked, you'll get overshoot.

In the real world, you won't start with a perfect square wave, and your probing and oscilloscope bandwidth limits won't be a perfect "brick wall" low pass filter, so you won't get exactly the pretty displays shown in that wiki page.  But you will get overshoot and ringing.

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 10:42:08 pm »

If you have a perfect square wave, and pass it through a filter with a finite bandwidth such that the higher frequency components are blocked, you'll get overshoot.
t exactly the pretty displays shown in that wiki page.  But you will get overshoot and ringing.

.. how interesting... I always thought that any of the normal digital scope has an analog low-pass anti-aliasing filter before ADC (with infinite bandwidth :)..
..and I also thought that Gibbs phenomenon relates to IFFT

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 12:20:28 am »

In the real world, you won't start with a perfect square wave, and your probing and oscilloscope bandwidth limits won't be a perfect "brick wall" low pass filter, so you won't get exactly the pretty displays shown in that wiki page.  But you will get overshoot and ringing.
A properly compensated/calibrated oscilloscope input will not exhibit any significant overshoot or ringing, despite the limited bandwidth that effectively acts as a low pass filter. This is because the oscilloscope input has (by design) a Gaussian frequency response, which results in an "ideal" pulse response, with a slight tradeoff of a earlier and slower roll-off. In other words, you could get a flatter response out to higher frequencies, and a consequently sharper roll-off, but that would result in ringing and overshoot in the pulse response. Some oscilloscopes, especially high bandwidth digital ones, will have a response more like the latter, but most scopes are like the former, going to better pulse response rather than flatter passband.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 01:01:56 am »

A properly compensated/calibrated oscilloscope input will not exhibit any significant overshoot or ringing, despite the limited bandwidth that effectively acts as a low pass filter. This is because the oscilloscope input has (by design) a Gaussian frequency response, which results in an "ideal" pulse response, with a slight tradeoff of a earlier and slower roll-off. In other words, you could get a flatter response out to higher frequencies, and a consequently sharper roll-off, but that would result in ringing and overshoot in the pulse response. Some oscilloscopes, especially high bandwidth digital ones, will have a response more like the latter, but most scopes are like the former, going to better pulse response rather than flatter passband.

Until, that is, you have probe with tip capacitace C and a ground lead inductance L - at which point you will see ringing due to the LC resonance. Since typical probes highZ *10 probes have 15-25pF capacitance, and a 6" ground lead has maybe 100nH inductance, the ringing will be  ~100MHz or so.

Go on, give it a try and see if you can duplicate the oscillograms in all the Tektronix HP/Agilent/Keysight app notes. It is quite easy to demonstrate!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »
I've made myself a Z0 probel today. Yellow trace is Z0, blue trace is scope probe in 10X mode with short spring as a ground contact. Thanks to all, I've learned something new  :-+

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 06:13:29 pm »
I've made myself a Z0 probel today. Yellow trace is Z0, blue trace is scope probe in 10X mode with short spring as a ground contact. Thanks to all, I've learned something new  :-+

So the next thing to do is to adjust the HF compensation on your 10x passive probe so that the trace more closely matches the Z0 one. Not all probes and not all scope inputs are alike; they work as a system, and need to be adjusted to match each other.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 06:30:11 pm »
So the next thing to do is to adjust the HF compensation on your 10x passive probe so that the trace more closely matches the Z0 one. Not all probes and not all scope inputs are alike; they work as a system, and need to be adjusted to match each other.

I agree; that is too much discrepancy for 20 ns/div.  They should match much closer than that.

What oscilloscope and probes are you using?  Did the probes come with the oscilloscope?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 12:21:34 pm »
What oscilloscope and probes are you using?  Did the probes come with the oscilloscope?

It's Rigol DS1052E (non hacked), probes are native Rigol ones. The compensation looks ok on 1kHz calibration signal.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 03:00:29 am »

It's Rigol DS1052E (non hacked), probes are native Rigol ones. The compensation looks ok on 1kHz calibration signal.

The low frequency compensation adjustment found on all attenuating passive probes is not going to help in the 10s of nanoseconds domain.  Some probes have high frequency compensation adjustments for this.  High frequency stock probes, 200 MHz and above, often have fixed high frequency compensation made to work with one particular group of oscilloscope models.

One test I would do is to connect both probes simultaneously to the signal source.  That will remove any possibility that that difference being seen is because of a difference in loading.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf