Author Topic: Can Someone Give Context to These Pin Connections?  (Read 570 times)

Offline Max HoldcroftTopic starter

• Contributor
Can Someone Give Context to These Pin Connections?
« on: May 24, 2024, 09:42:49 am »
I'm looking at the schematic for the ISP_BLE_DS1507 (https://www.insightsip.com/fichiers_insightsip/pdf/ble/ISP1507/isp_ble_DS1507.pdf), specifically the reference designs page, and I'm a little confused as to what these pins mean. Why are OUT_ANT and OUT_MOD connected? Presumably OUT_ANT is antenna, but what does OUT_MOD mean? The pin description has it listed as RF ourput (I guess a typo for output)? Is this the output signal for the internal antenna? What are SWDCLK and SWDIO-nRESET? The pin description page doesn't offer much info as to what they actually do.
Thank you for anyone who can help me!
Max :)

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Can Someone Give Context to These Pin Connections?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 10:58:25 am »
My guess, from looking at the pin list and the module’s internal schematic, is that OUT_MOD is the actual RF output, and that OUT_ANT is actually the input to the internal antenna. In the dev board schematics, they have the ability to cut the trace between those pads, and instead jumper them together to an SMA jack for “RF testing”.

It’s hard to be sure since their module’s internal schematic is incomplete.

Not that this question has any relevance to you: you bridge those pads like they tell you to and call it a day.

SWDCLK and SWDIO are the Serial Wire Debug interface, the clock and IO lines, respectively. Just like the datasheet says. What’s stopping you from googling to find out what SWD is?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 11:00:30 am by tooki »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 11:13:39 am »
SWDCLK and SWDIO are the Serial Wire Debug interface, the clock and IO lines, respectively. Just like the datasheet says. What’s stopping you from googling to find out what SWD is?

Hey man,
Thank you so much for your response. It's not so much figuring out what SWD stands for that's the issue; I'm trying to figure out what the pins actually practically do.
Thanks,

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 01:40:53 pm »
They are debug and programming pins.

There is no chance you can brute force your way though understanding this. You need to start with basics and move your way up to more complicated stuff.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 02:58:18 am »
They are debug and programming pins.

There is no chance you can brute force your way though understanding this. You need to start with basics and move your way up to more complicated stuff.

Hey Alex,
Thanks for your answer! So are they just for connecting to the development board and for flashing the chip or do they serve some other purpose in the circuit. Is there any reason I would actually need them beyond just uploading my program to the board?
Thanks,

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 03:27:31 am »
Is there any reason I would actually need them beyond just uploading my program to the board?
Is uploading the program not enough of a reason?

No, they don't serve any other reason, but the one they do serve is sort of important on its own.
Alex

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 03:49:06 am »
Is there any reason I would actually need them beyond just uploading my program to the board?
Is uploading the program not enough of a reason?

No, they don't serve any other reason, but the one they do serve is sort of important on its own.
Wait I thought that the idea was that you would attach the chip to the dev board, flash the program, then disconnect the chip from the board and solder it into the PCB you're using. Is that not how you program the board? I thought that once you had done that you wouldn't need to access the SWD pins anymore.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 03:53:25 am »
then disconnect the chip from the board and solder it into the PCB you're using.
This is not how MCU development works for the last 30 years.

I thought that once you had done that you wouldn't need to access the SWD pins anymore.
Do you realize how much effort the firmware development takes?  How are you going to get the firmware you are going to program into the module without reprogramming it 100s of times to debug it?

You solder empty modules then use debugger/programmer to place the firmware. This is true for the development boards and for the production hardware.

In some cases you can order pre-programmed modules, but this usually includes purchase of 1-10k units. And it rarely makes sense. You still need to have some way t program the board. Not provisioning for that is a really bad idea.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 04:31:02 am by ataradov »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Max Holdcroft

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2024, 03:54:19 am »
then disconnect the chip from the board and solder it into the PCB you're using.
This is not how MCU development works for the last 30 years.

I thought that once you had done that you wouldn't need to access the SWD pins anymore.
Do you realize how much effort the firmware development takes?  How are you going to get the firmware you are going to program into the module without reprogramming it 100s of times to debug it?

You solder empty modules then use debugger/programmer to place the firmware. This is true for the development boards and for the production hardware.
Ok that makes so much more sense. Thank you!

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2024, 07:00:02 am »
What are SWDCLK and SWDIO-nRESET? The pin description page doesn't offer much info as to what they actually do.

This is SWD interface which is used for programming and in-circuit code debugging.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf