Author Topic: Crazy price for a 10MHz pulse generator (£15 !)?  (Read 38426 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Crazy price for a 10MHz pulse generator (£15 !)?
« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2019, 05:17:23 pm »
You're asking for compensation. You gave them your money knowingly trying to exploit a mistake. They screwed up yes, but now you are demanding compensation because your investment didn't work out and you have found other investments that could have done better. If you wanted to earn 16% on your money you should have invested it in one of those other things rather than attempting to defraud a company that screwed up. It sounds petulant and childish to moan about it now, you knew it was an error going in and now you are acting as though they raped your mom and killed your dog. They owe you precisely the amount of money you paid them, nothing more.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2019, 05:27:33 pm »
You're asking for compensation. You gave them your money knowingly trying to exploit a mistake. They screwed up yes, but now you are demanding compensation because your investment didn't work out and you have found other investments that could have done better. If you wanted to earn 16% on your money you should have invested it in one of those other things rather than attempting to defraud a company that screwed up. It sounds petulant and childish to moan about it now, you knew it was an error going in and now you are acting as though they raped your mom and killed your dog. They owe you precisely the amount of money you paid them, nothing more.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I took my money out of savings (at 8%) and made the purchase. They could not be bothered to cancel and refund 4 months after I gave them the money and realized the mistake. Normally I order stuff ond the money is taken instantly IF the item is in stock and it arrives in days. IF they don't have stock they take payment on shipment. This lot demanded the money effectively before the goods were even made or perhaps on the date they shipped from taiwan to the US to be reshipped to the UK! I have not pushed the argument on the contract that they have firmly established and accepted a refund. I am back where i started.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2019, 05:32:08 pm »
"Defraud ; to take something illegally from a person, company, etc." Making up crimes to bolster the point being made seems dishonest in its own right.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2019, 05:34:20 pm »
what was illegal about anything anyone did?

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #304 on: May 21, 2019, 05:48:17 pm »
IANAL but I'm pretty sure Cole Parmer "broke the law" in as much as contract offer and acceptance works.  Assuming we share the same legal heritage in that regard anyway.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2019, 05:49:14 pm »
Libel is illegal I guess. ;D

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #306 on: May 21, 2019, 05:54:26 pm »
IANAL but I'm pretty sure Cole Parmer "broke the law" in as much as contract offer and acceptance works.  Assuming we share the same legal heritage in that regard anyway.
If that was true, you would not be able to pre-order games in Canada since pre-orders are often cancelled.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #307 on: May 21, 2019, 05:59:07 pm »
I was not illegal but has the same vibe in it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2019, 05:59:23 pm »
If that was true, you would not be able to pre-order games in Canada since pre-orders are often cancelled.
Are we already moving the goalposts?

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2019, 06:09:51 pm »
There's an awesome thing on the internet called "Google".  I won't waste my time.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2019, 06:17:20 pm »
Are we already moving the goalposts?

Pre ordering is one thing, usually money is not taken until delivery and usually you are told WHEN you will get the goods. Cole and Palmer sold goods that they never had and never intended having until they had taken our money and then ordered the goods to pass on.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2019, 06:17:57 pm »
I was not illegal but has the same vibe in it.

Don't be obtuse!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #312 on: May 22, 2019, 05:05:07 am »

It's not illegal to be a complete asshole, but I'm glad "is it legal" is not the only yardstick most people use to assess their behavior.

Offline AE7OO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #313 on: May 27, 2020, 03:05:38 pm »
Old thread I know.

Here about 5 months ago I snagged some fairly good deals from Newark.

An example, I picked up about 800 of the LVC1G single flip flops for somewhere around 3 bucks.
But the best deal was 75 PIC32MM256 for less than $.25.  It was 25 each of the 28, 36 and 48 pin devices.

I don't feel the least guilty as they contacted me saying that some transistor price should have required a 1000 piece minimum order and I had only gotten like 500.  I told them to cancel the line item if it was a problem.  In the end they went a head and gave me the price anyway.

About once a month I try to hit them up in various catagories.  2 weeks ago I got 500 smd 2N222 transistors for something like  $.001 each.  Also picked up a couple AMD volt ref for less than $3 each, in the LS8 body... can't bitch.

What got me started was finding 900 0.1% 50ppm 1K18 1206 Vishway(sp) resistors for $9.00.

That was almost a year ago, and I'm still finding good deals so...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #314 on: May 28, 2020, 06:19:19 am »
Old thread I know.

Here about 5 months ago I snagged some fairly good deals from Newark.

An example, I picked up about 800 of the LVC1G single flip flops for somewhere around 3 bucks.
But the best deal was 75 PIC32MM256 for less than $.25.  It was 25 each of the 28, 36 and 48 pin devices.

I don't feel the least guilty as they contacted me saying that some transistor price should have required a 1000 piece minimum order and I had only gotten like 500.  I told them to cancel the line item if it was a problem.  In the end they went a head and gave me the price anyway.

About once a month I try to hit them up in various catagories.  2 weeks ago I got 500 smd 2N222 transistors for something like  $.001 each.  Also picked up a couple AMD volt ref for less than $3 each, in the LS8 body... can't bitch.

What got me started was finding 900 0.1% 50ppm 1K18 1206 Vishway(sp) resistors for $9.00.

That was almost a year ago, and I'm still finding good deals so...

Those are good deals, if you need the part in question. I'm curious what you're doing with 800 single flipflops, 75 PICs and 500 transistors? Even free is no bargain if the parts just end up taking up space. I suppose you could build something cool and creative if you have a lot of free time.

A few years ago I pulled a bunch of full and nearly full reels of random passives out of the e-waste bin at work. Since they were free I couldn't resist, but I spent the next 3 years moving them from one spot to another, picking them up after they slid off a shelf and just generally having them in my way until I finally gave most of them away to some other members of this forum. There are just very few parts that I need more than a few dozen of one particular type.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #315 on: May 29, 2020, 01:59:45 pm »
A few years ago I pulled a bunch of full and nearly full reels of random passives out of the e-waste bin at work. Since they were free I couldn't resist, but I spent the next 3 years moving them from one spot to another, picking them up after they slid off a shelf and just generally having them in my way until I finally gave most of them away to some other members of this forum. There are just very few parts that I need more than a few dozen of one particular type.

Still better than having them end up in landfill!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #316 on: May 30, 2020, 12:03:56 am »
Still better than having them end up in landfill!

Arguably yes, provided a significant portion of them do eventually get used. I'm all for trying to save stuff, however it's not hard to envision a situation where something is "saved", consumes space for years, consumes effort and energy transporting it around, passing off to new owners who got a "great deal" because it was cheap and then ultimately thrown away when somebody gets tired of trying to find a new home for it.

There's an old George Carlin skit I'm reminded of where he says that leftovers make you feel good twice. First you think "I'm saving food!" and then later when you throw it away after it's spoiled you think "I'm saving my life!"  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf