Author Topic: Create a fast Open circuit  (Read 285 times)

Offline Htow77Topic starter

Create a fast Open circuit
« on: May 14, 2024, 07:42:01 pm »
Hi,

I want the possibility to create a (quick) open circuit on a signal wire used for automotive CAN. Reason for all this is im an automotive technical trainer and want to simulate an intermittent harness or connector fault.

The function should be just like a momentary NC switch: The circuit is normally intact, with a fast push on the switch it becomes open and then back to closed again. While the switch function is working, the actual switching using a mechanical switch isn’t clean (Quick) enough.

An NC relay would also work but it’s to slow to react.

I would like to use a “transistor-like” component to achive a clean switching, but which component?
I’m looking for something I can control but is not affecting the actual circuit.

An opto coupler function would do, but again that would affect the circuit I want to make the intermittent open on. 

Is there any analogue component like an opto coupler but with an NC switch instead of the built in transistor??

:D

Grateful for any tips!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 07:44:40 pm by Htow77 »

Offline BennoG

• Regular Contributor
Re: Create a fast Open circuit
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 07:46:43 pm »
My opinion is that you can better use a relays.
Because that gives the nice dender (don't know English word) on the contacts when opening and closing.
They open and close not at once but make some high frequency contacts.
This is the same as a lose wire, only the wire is worse.

Benno

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 07:59:27 pm »
If you were to use a changeover signal relay and parallel the NC and NO contact, you should get a brief interruption as the relay transitions from one to the other. With a small signal relay, the interruption should be in the low milliseconds range. You will get a little contact bounce too of course. If you vary the coil operating voltage, you may even get a limited adjustment of contact interruption time.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 09:18:57 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 09:18:32 am »
Probably the best option would be an optocoupler that contains a field-effect transistor, a low-power solid-state relay.
For example: Cosmo Electronics KAQY212A
https://www.lcsc.com/datasheet/lcsc_datasheet_2304140030_Cosmo-Electronics-KAQY212A_C194713.pdf
And sorry for my English.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf