Author Topic: Data Precision 6100 - What does it measure? Not much info on Waveform Analyzer  (Read 678 times)

Offline ceciliniTopic starter

I have searched the internet on the Data Precision 6100 and it says it is a waveform analyzer. Some sites say it is a signal analyzer. There is no youtube on wave analyzers and a search of what is a waveform analyzer, takes you to signal analyzers. I also found the manuals that were uploaded by a member but it was too complicated for me. I need to know what it measures and how the Data Precision 6100 works. I know it is obsolete equipment and the company does not exist. 

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
Broadly speaking, a waveform analyzer is(was) a special type of oscilloscope with a strong focus on the most accurate reproduction of the waveform that is possible. This usually comes with drawbacks such as less possibilities in triggering, less memory depth & reduced input voltage.
They are generally aimed at engineers that work on transmission systems where the quality of the modulation (QAM for example) is of importance.
If you are looking to buy an oscilloscope for beginner purposes, you are far better off with an entry level Siglent /Rigol/Uni-T, they will all blow that DP6100 unit out of the water and come complete with probes. Waveform analyzers will typically have 16 or 24 bit bit resolution (vs. 8 or 10 bit on a entry-level scope). Obviously this eats much more memory, driving up the cost and CPU requirements.
That said, high end scopes have made waveform analyzers obsolete. Technology has advanced to the point where it is no longer necessary to make compromises to achieve high reproduction quality, so they are mostly a thing of the past.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf