Author Topic: Digital switch  (Read 544 times)

Offline Tetris911Topic starter

Digital switch
« on: January 22, 2023, 01:59:32 am »
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to learning more about electronics and getting help with projects.
Speaking of help I'm building a simple ESP32oscilloscope designed by Jobit Joseph on the Circuit Digest website.
I'm looking to replace the regular switches (SW1 and SW2) in the analog front end  with some kind of digital switch that would let me cycle though the settings
with button pushes. Thanks in advance foe any help!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Digital switch
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 02:10:18 am »
A relay controlled by a transistor is the most obvious solution that comes to mind.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 02:15:03 am »
Yes, using relays is generally what's used in oscilloscopes. See this StackExchange discussion:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/465202/relay-inside-oscilloscope-relay-vs-other-switches

Offline jbeng

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 02:46:43 pm »
A relay controlled by a transistor is the most obvious solution that comes to mind.

I would think that's about the only way to do it without putting a limitation on the amplitude of the input signal.
Just about any solid-state switching would likely be limited by the power supply voltages of the switching devices.
"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever" - David St. Hubbins

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 02:57:48 pm »
Check out the schematics of the FNIRSI 1013D and the Hantek DSO2D10 given in these links:

https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI-1013D-1014D-Hack/blob/main/Schematics/1013D/Scope_Analog_Input.png
https://github.com/pecostm32/Hantek_DSO2000/blob/main/Schematics/Mainboard/Analog_Input_1.png

Both use a mix of mechanical relays and solid state switches to control some of the settings. The solid state one is used for AC/DC select.

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 08:52:04 pm »
Something like a 74HC4066 or similar IC? More compact than a relay and lower power requirements, but will only tolerate small currents on through the switching element. These sort of analog switch ICs also won't cope with higher voltages (some types 5 volts, others might handle 12), but as your oscilloscope's core is an ESP I assume you aren't  going to be measuring larger voltages with it?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf