Author Topic: Gain–bandwidth product of BC547 datasheet confusion  (Read 496 times)

Offline petertTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Gain–bandwidth product of BC547 datasheet confusion
« on: November 16, 2020, 08:36:42 pm »
When you look at the datasheet from the BC547, the corresponding line reads:

fT  Current Gain Bandwidth Product   VCE=5V, IC=10mA, f=100MHz   300MHz (Typical)

Sorry if this is obvious, but what is now the GBWP (or fT), 100MHz or 300MHz? Why are there two frequencies?

Since the GBWP (or fT) specifies the limit frequency that will still be amplified to unity gain, does it also mean I can switch frequencies up to fT without degradation/distortion? If it only applies to amplification, how do I know the maximum frequency I can switch?

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Gain–bandwidth product of BC547 datasheet confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 08:43:39 pm »
That data sheet line means that the parameter ft is measured at 100 MHz.  I.e., the value of hfe is guaranteed to be > 3 at 100 MHz.

The following users thanked this post: petert, Vovk_Z

Offline petertTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 11:24:56 pm »
Thanks.

What about this part?

Since the GBWP (or fT) specifies the limit frequency that will still be amplified to unity gain, does it also mean I can switch frequencies up to fT without degradation/distortion? If it only applies to amplification, how do I know the maximum frequency I can switch?
I mean switch, as in using a transistor as a switch.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 01:30:31 am »
Two problems:
1. Switching is a large-signal process, so small-signal parameters (h_fe, f_T, etc.) aren't very meaningful.  It's not that they're inapplicable, more that it's a hand-waving relationship; large-signal parameters can be measured in a similar way, but a more robust method must be employed to describe the nonlinear response.  (Which isn't ever done with general purpose transistors, but is sometimes provided for RF power transistors -- the data are used in simulators that do harmonic balance and load pull calculations.)
2. Switching is a wideband signal, and presumably you want it to look like it's switching, not just a pile of mush.  So, you'll typically be below f_T / 10 say.

Or put another way, expect the edge rate to be comparable to f_T, or a modest fraction of it (so, 1/3rd or ~100MHz or 10ns, for example), so whatever flat top/bottom you want inbetween needs to be as many times longer than that.

And that's still pretty respectable, getting say 30MHz from a BC547.  It won't look very sharp up there, but it can do it.  Don't be stingy with the bias current, expect to need a good 10-30mA (and 0.5-3mA on whatever's driving the base) to do it.

I've ran 2N3904s (basically the same thing, but 200mA) and 2N4401s (600mA) about as fast, and at about as much bias; I haven't done BC547 specifically, but it should be in that range as well.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: petert, Vovk_Z

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf