Author Topic: getting a "tighter" overdrive from a solid state amp  (Read 496 times)

Offline ELS122Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
getting a "tighter" overdrive from a solid state amp
« on: February 03, 2020, 05:15:29 am »
I am modifying a tape recorder to a guitar amp and I already made a simple gain stage going in where the play head was, it has a gain of about 6 (16dB) it's simply a 12ax7 gain stage into a cathode follower.
Why a cathode follower: I dunno. I just thought that I might put some kind of tone control early in the circuit.

the tape player/recorder is a soviet "Sonata-304" (translated letters from Russian)
I am 99% sure I won't find a schematic for it anywhere. so I'm gonna make one later.
I doubt that anyone can help me with getting a "tighter" distortion without any schematic or idea on how the circuit works.
so when I make the schematic I'll post it here so maybe you can help

also, I haven't replaced the caps, it doesn't have ANY 100hz hum, only a bit of 50hz hum. I tried replacing the main filter cap with no change to the noise or tone. I still have the new ones it but they didn't help with anything really.

the coupling caps I believe are all-ceramic. it uses a push-pull output stage with (I'm assuming) 15 watts. it's REALLY loud. it has a ~ -20V_0V_25V supply. I don't know why it's not equal but maybe it's cause I measured across the filter cap relative to ground.

it has 2x 3*6 inch speakers and both are in series and have an impedance of 8Ohms each. so the output impedance is 16Ohms. but I am gonna probably connect a 2x 7inch 6 Ohm speakers that are pretty efficient but they were meant for about 10 watts only so it may distort as it did when I turned it up with another amp.

I can also use 2 HiFi speakers in series with an impedance of 16Ohms when in series.

otherwise, I will need to buy some decent speakers for it.

anyway, I wanted to make it sound decent with the speakers I have.
it just sounds "sluggish"

the tone controls are AMAZING, while they don't do as much with a lot of overdrive, when I have a clean signal, it can flip the sound upside down.

it has a decent gain with the preamp I made and pinch harmonics already "scream" so I'm pretty good with the gain it has.

also, the only cap I had to replace was a 1uF ceramic for the recording oscillator thingy board. but it still doesn't want to record really. it doesn't erase and the record/play head is in terrible shape. also, it plays at the low speed to none of my reels play on it. but I don't intend to use it for reels ever again.

so it would be great if you have any suggestions on making is more suitable for my needs.
as I said I'll make a schematic probably so it's much easier to understand, and put it here.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: getting a "tighter" overdrive from a solid state amp
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 05:48:12 am »
also, I'm not getting the plate voltage from another transformer, I'll probably use a voltage doubler to get ~200V from the 40V winding. but would that work? cause I'm guessing the center tap for the 40V winding is connected to ground. so grounding one side would just short one of the windings.

is there maybe some other trick I can use to get ~200V, I could rectify the 120V winding or even use the 6V winding in series to get more voltage. I guess it won't be any more unsafe cause the neutral is already grounded and so is the chassis.
I could use the 220V winding which in my case has around 238V but that will result in a REALLY unnecessary high plate voltage.
the pilot light is connected the 6V winding that is on the mains side and I'm gonna probably move that to the secondary 4V winding and rectify it to get more voltage to also drive the filament of the 12ax7, in my case 6N2P (Russian copy of the 12ax7 with a 6V heater and a shield between the 2 triodes)
I already got a "pleasant" shock from the filament supply when it accidentally touched the chassis/ground. don't know how that would work but it did so I'm not gonna repeat that.

I could also use the ~20V from the center-tapped supply but I can't for 2 reasons:
it for some reason induces a LOUD hum into the signal making the guitar pretty much unhearable.
and also it's just too low to not get massive distortion in the 1st stage.

Offline Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 07:50:56 pm »
May be, this page can help with schematics.
There are service manual in *.gjvu" file, find "Инструкция по ремонту" on that page (I can't place it here as attachment).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:52:46 pm by Vovk_Z »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 08:17:51 pm »
fuck, I just wasted the whole day drawing a shematic.  |O
well thank's!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf