Author Topic: Help identifying component  (Read 473 times)

Offline HomeLateTopic starter

Help identifying component
« on: November 19, 2020, 06:53:24 pm »
Hi,

I'm troubleshooting a rechargeable vacuum cleaner pcb and I came acros this component:

Can anyone identify it? I think it is some sort of fuse, but I'm not sure. When I measure it, there isn't any continuity.

Thanks!

Offline pvsage

• Contributor
Re: Help identifying component
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 07:06:50 pm »
That's an LED. Silk screen identifier is D1 and I see an anode bonding wire and a cathode marker. In the assembled product, there should be a light pipe or window so the LED can show some kind of status.

EDIT: If you place your meter in diode mode, you should see a drop of 2-3V with the negative probe lead on the cathode pad.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:12:15 pm by pvsage »

Offline HomeLateTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 08:51:09 pm »
Thanks pvsage!

It doesn’t give me a reading while other diodes on the same pcb do. Unfortunately I don’t know what type it is and I guess this led isn’t the cause of the issue. I’ll try to replace it and we’ll see what happens.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 08:02:28 pm »
Thanks pvsage!

It doesn’t give me a reading while other diodes on the same pcb do. Unfortunately I don’t know what type it is and I guess this led isn’t the cause of the issue. I’ll try to replace it and we’ll see what happens.

It's unlikely to be the problem. The diode test function on your meter probably doesn't have a high enough voltage to turn on an LED. Try connecting it to a 5V power supply, via a 10k resistor. The cathode is probably the side near the green square, at the top left hand side of the component in your image. If it's a high efficiency modern LED, it will be reasonably bright. If it's an old LED, it will only visible in a dark room.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf