Author Topic: Horrible solder job, buyer wants money back after butchering kit with his skill  (Read 40015 times)

Online mariushTopic starter

• Super Contributor
This was mentioned on another forum I frequent...

http://www.hamgadgets.com/blog/2013/11/this-just-takes-the-cake/

So this guy (who I later find out is, apparently, under age as well as ethically challenged) orders an ID-O-Matic III with a voice add-on board.   So far so good; the order arrives on 11/4 a little after 5:30 PM; I ship it 11/5, it arrives at his house on 11/7.

Before it’s even delivered the emails start.   He’s asking me about some cable he bought from someone else on eBay.  Will it work with his Motorola radios?  How should I know?  Ask the guy you bought it from.  But I’m nice, I’m patient, and tell him I can’t make promises about things I don’t sell.  But I’m getting a bad feeling already.  The day after I mail the package he’s asking where it is.  Then it arrives…  Doesn’t work, he says.  “But when I use the CW is sounds like someone hitting a piece of wood and the HZ does not change it.”  He’s asking questions and saying things that tell me he has either not read, or completely fails to understand, the instructions.  I give him some things to look at; he’s demanding a new PIC processor, which I tell him would probably not cause the problem he’s having, so if he wants to send it here I’ll take a look at it.

Then I get an email from PayPal — he’s disputing the charge!  He claims the kit was missing parts, says he had “an electrician” “professionally install” it and it doesn’t work.  I tell him to ship it back to me, and if the kit WAS defective, I’ll fix it and return it.  The board arrives, and the problem is immediately apparent…

Pictures below:

Offline minime72706

• Frequent Contributor
Wow, that's pretty !@#%ing bad. I've seen high school age students solder for the first time and it's almost never anywhere nearly that bad. Why the dick is there a jumper wire where a capacitor should be?

Did you provide Paypal your side of the story?
I have more incomplete projects than I have digits and toes.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Holy shit. Forget any jokes I may have made about soldering using a "soldering shovel", this dude has really used one, and then finished off with a soldering bazooka!

Why the dick is there a jumper wire where a capacitor should be?

Because idiot.

Probably won't help, because idiots.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:31:56 pm by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online mariushTopic starter

• Super Contributor

It's not mine, it belongs to the guy on that link.. I just copy-pasted.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Oh, I see the problem - he's not washed the flux off  ;)

Actually that has to qualify as the worst soldering I've ever seen, and then some. Think if I'd sold it I'd probably just refund the guy and never sell to him again simply to save the inevitable arguments.

Offline BeerCannon

• Contributor
Holy moly, was he soldering with a blow torch?   :o

On the up-side, I now feel so much better about my own soldering..  8)

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Remind me never, ever to sell kits.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Remind me never, ever to sell kits.

No kidding.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
Being a person who suffers from a mild case of OCD, I genuinely found these images painful to watch. :'(
I'm not saying my joints were perfect when I started soldering, but this is just absurd. I hope the seller gets justice from PayPal and doesn't get forced to reimburse the moron (although I'm aware that's quite unlikely to happen).
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
I'd still not name and shame him. That's a bridge too far for me.
No issue with the story and the pictures. But when you're in a commercial dispute , publishing the name on the web is not the way to go.

Offline jolshefsky

• Regular Contributor
    • Jason DoesItAll
Give a refund as early and as fast as you can and never do business with the purchaser again. Some people argue this rewards bad behavior, but I say morons like this have to live with themselves every single day, and, comparatively, you won't miss whatever tens or hundreds of dollars you might stand to lose in a year's time.

Also, please post the purchaser's name/location/e-mail so we can all invalidate any orders.
May your deeds return to you tenfold.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
I can cope with seeing poor soldering, that can often be rectified, but look at all the long component leads that have likely shorted to who knows what destroying components in the process. Truly amazing (in a bad sense) soldering and electronic 'skills'

On a point of principle and to protect others from this ape (sorry to insult apes) I would speak to ebay customer services who will in turn speak with PayPal. I have personally had good experiences with that approach.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
No question that the soldering job is the cause of the problems.  With that said and using PayPal I suggest you refund the original payment and diplomatically tell him you are not returning it to him and the reason it did not work was due to a failure to follow instructions, poor assembly, and poor soldering technique.

Just goes along with being on the seller side.  Happens to me once in a while and I just give the refund.  Life is short.  Not worth getting into a pissing match with a customer.  And of course, don't let him order anything again.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
I reckon I could solder better than that wearing a blindfold, so could most people for that matter, that person either had a bad case of the DT's or some nerve degenerative disease.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
Ah I see what's happened here.. The guy has tried to use the same technique as the one you use when pouring aluminium, except I think he's used a slightly to large a pourer.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
I'd still not name and shame him. That's a bridge too far for me.
No issue with the story and the pictures. But when you're in a commercial dispute , publishing the name on the web is not the way to go.
Apparently it will get you in deep trouble with the FBI, as well:

Dear Dale Botkin,

We have received a complaint about internet harassment. We would like to inform you that we have came to a decision to give you 2 options. You could either:

A:)

Remove this post within 12 hours

http://www.hamgadgets.com/blog/2013/11/this-just-takes-the-cake/

B:)

We will contact GoDaddy, LLC and www.Linode.com and have all your services revoked.

We understand that you may have your feelings about others, but this is harassment, and defamation of character. The person mentioned in your article are getting hurtful and threatening messages, and legal actions will be taken if you do not comply with us. Please choose option A, this is your best option and you will not have any legal proceedings coming onto you in the future.

Thank You,

Linda. S.

www.FBI.gov

It seems that the FBI is now employing semi-literate morons with a negligible command of both the law and the English language, and has also moved its base of operations from Washington D.C. to the Czech Republic  :palm:

Link: http://www.hamsexy.com/cms/?p=1194
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:01:11 pm by rolycat »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Typical Generation X, Y, Z or whatever they call themselves now |O.  No common sense, no common courtesy and if they screw something up it's everyone else's fault, not theirs.  Not only should his name be put out there but his name and call sign should be sent to every kit manufacturer there is along with the photos and a description of the incident so no one will sell to him EVER AGAIN!  I could probably teach my dog to do better and she has no thumbs.  He should also have his ham toys taken away and given a set of TinkerToys to play with.  He obviously can't handle more than that.  People like him give the rest of us hams a bad name.  I also vote on giving his money back and be done with him.  There is no point trying to have a battle of wits and intelligence with someone like him.  It would be like trying to teach a pig to sing, it will frustrate you and annoy the pig.

Tom, NW0LF, who actually knows which end of the soldering iron is which.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
It would be like trying to teach a pig to sing, it will frustrate you and annoy the pig.

:-DD
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
Typical Generation X, Y, Z or whatever they call themselves now |O.  No common sense, no common courtesy and if they screw something up it's everyone else's fault, not theirs.  Not only should his name be put out there but his name and call sign should be sent to every kit manufacturer there is along with the photos and a description of the incident so no one will sell to him EVER AGAIN!  I could probably teach my dog to do better and she has no thumbs.  He should also have his ham toys taken away and given a set of TinkerToys to play with.  He obviously can't handle more than that.  People like him give the rest of us hams a bad name.  I also vote on giving his money back and be done with him.  There is no point trying to have a battle of wits and intelligence with someone like him.  It would be like trying to teach a pig to sing, it will frustrate you and annoy the pig.

Tom, NW0LF, who actually knows which end of the soldering iron is which.

This is bullshit.  :)  I'm generation y and can solder tqfp with my hako.  Not all of us are stupid
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline BeerCannon

• Contributor

I don't believe for one second that the FBI would get involved with this.  I've had them here at my office (on more than one occasion) when we've had DoS attack attempts and such, and they aren't interested in ANY case unless you can demonstrate a financial loss of at least a million bucks.  Period.  Plus, they would not be giving what amounts to 'legal advice', especially "in print".   Someone is lying, and in fact by doing so are guilty of impersonating a law enforcement official.. which could land them in far more trouble. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:38:54 pm by BeerCannon »

Offline iceisfun

• Regular Contributor
He should not have posted personal details about the person who did it. That is going too far and not very professional.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
That's a hoot.  The FBI does not get involved in this type of crap.  Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.  :palm:

I agree though that naming the person in the post is unprofessional and is a bad marketing move. Reading his post would make me look elsewhere if considering purchasing one of his products.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
That's a hoot.  The FBI does not get involved in this type of crap.  Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.  :palm:

You seem to have missed the irony in my post. It is obvious from the message header and the poor English that the FBI had nothing to do with the quoted email.

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
It could actually  be against the law to  throw solder like this  at a board , health and safety, plus it could be classed as abuse to the board, soldering iron, & components :palm:
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline BeerCannon

• Contributor

You seem to have missed the irony in my post. It is obvious from the message header and the poor English that the FBI had nothing to do with the quoted email.

Oops!  I missed your irony, too.. sorry!   Not only is it poorly worded, but the FBI is playing judge and jury by assuming a) that they have the right person, b) that the person is guilty, c) that they can magically revoke internet service that he's paying for under contract...  the ignorance is worse than the soldering!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf