Author Topic: How do you organize your components?  (Read 13153 times)

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: How do you organize your components?
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 04:03:46 pm »
Pill bottles? Meh, I'd loose 'em. While we seem headed in a traditional direction:
Gerber baby food jars.. Done for ions: Screw lids under strong shelf and twist jars to open contents.

This is the idea, but the smaller Gerber jars are better. They don't break so easy or make things too heavy.

Here's the ones I meant. Do not buy them unless you like awful food. (ask a new mother to collect them for you).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:34:11 pm by Cliff Matthews »

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 06:49:19 am »
If only it had WiFi.  :-DD

It's an interesting concept.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 10:43:54 am »
The boxes are way too small for me. I like large boxes with enough room for TH and SMT. By putting SMT in small zip bags I can keep different sizes/types in the same box. A quick look and you know what's available.

Edit: This comment is referring to a removed post about https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dfacture/chipseasy-smart-electronic-component-organizer
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:06:57 pm by madires »

Offline tron9000

• Frequent Contributor
  • Still an Electronics Lab Tech
    • My Hack-a-day project page
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 11:39:35 am »
In tackle boxes and Tradesmans boxes (boxes you usually fill with screws and rwal plugs).

I have also got an ongoing list of Component stock - click on link in my signature
Partsbox.io - orangise your parts!
"If you're green you can only ripen. If you're ripe you can only rot!"

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 12:42:04 pm »
If only it had WiFi.  :-DD

It's an interesting concept.
Jeroen3 was commenting on a removed post.. (why do they troll like that?) found it in my history - a new parts organizer..  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dfacture/chipseasy-smart-electronic-component-organizer

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 01:32:32 pm »
I'm not a Pro, but plastic organizers are pretty handy.
I guess the cheapest way could be letters envelopes in different sizes for the smallest components into a shoe box. You can label them and store the box under the bed.

This is my office. It's not a lab.

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 04:58:54 pm »
I an hopelessly disorganized. I have a large number of those 'plastic drawer with compartments' as well as shoe boxes with multiple parts in them specific for individual projects - because I rarely 'put them back' into the drawers, I end up with lots of boxes with seemingly random components in each.  Safe to say, sometimes it can take me an hour to find anything.

But knowing *what* you have, rather than where it is is half the battle. First thing I did was to copy invoices from orders into a large spreadsheet.  This saves me hunting for something I think I bought, but didn't.  At least then you know you have something.  There is probably soft ware specifically for this, a good spreadsheet with database organisation and search function, with quantity (updated with use), and even distributor (so you know what kind of packaging to look for) helps a great deal.

I also have a toolbox with small compartments which is the 'default' storage I go to for prototyping (resistor packs, common IC's, connectors, caps, inductors, breadboards etc..) which is a complete mess, but means I can know up a prototype idea fairly quickly.  Every few months this gets reorganised.

The only silver lining of my haphazard approach (believe me there are many frustrating negatives.. start organizing now!) is that I'll dig out a container box and find hidden gems - sometimes its like Christmas - other times it just highlights money I ahve wasted on things I will never use.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 05:14:17 pm »
OP'er said he was in a college dorm so not a lot of room for apartments.  I used (and still do use) a lot of fishing type storeage
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/tackle-binders-utility-boxes/_/N-1100380/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104620680

and http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/tackle-bags/_/N-1100378/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104619780

You can slide the bags under a desk or bed or on a shelf out of the way.

Offline packetbob

• Contributor
    • zappedmyself.com
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 07:49:12 pm »
I use small plastic totes (for larger parts, tools and such) and plastic organizers (for small parts)..
I was able to setup some adjustable shelving with the shelf's set at heights that allow stacking them without wasting too much space...

Originally my parts were all over the place so just getting them condensed into one storage area helped considerably. Right now they are not in any particular order or arrangement. I more or less just filled each container as I emptied the various original containers.

What helps immensely is that I starting using PartBox (https://partsbox.io/) to manage what I had. I was a little reticent to start but I have to admit it did not take as long as I thought it would to enter the data. Being cloud based I don't have to worry about hosting it. If it disappears into the startup ether then I still have backs ups of the data that I may be able to migrate to a new system.  And it is free for hobby users.  I can't say enough good things about PartsBox

The only thing I really needed to do was put an identifier on each storage unit (I used a letter to denote the shelf it is on and a number for each container)...
And then sort through them all...

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 12:18:09 am »
And now for something really modern... back in the 60's and 70's these interlocking bins were popular. My buddy's dad taught me about color-organs and electronic kits back in the day. He passed-on a few years back and today these 5 were handed down to me. I'm not sure how to use them (not being transparent), but my eyes did a historical double-take and now I'm in some stupid time warp..

Offline vpetrog

• Contributor
  • ECE Student
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 09:00:13 am »
i am using partsbox.io, which is an online service (it has both free and paid services,i'm using the free ones) to keep an online database. The components themselves, i keep them is the plastic containers you see in the pictures.
My first OSH project ArduGen
https://hackaday.io/project/19134-ardugen

The following users thanked this post: tron9000

Offline tron9000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 09:21:47 am »
i am using partsbox.io, which is an online service (it has both free and paid services,i'm using the free ones) to keep an online database.

Well that's just made my google doc redundant! ;D

Offline vpetrog

• Contributor
  • ECE Student
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:28 am »
i am using partsbox.io, which is an online service (it has both free and paid services,i'm using the free ones) to keep an online database.

:D Glad to hear that :P i believe you can upload your Spreadsheet to partsbox.io and it will auto create your Database, but I haven't tried it
My first OSH project ArduGen
https://hackaday.io/project/19134-ardugen

Offline tron9000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 09:27:26 am »
Had a look and it mentions something about generating a list from a database using SQL-dump, but can't see anything about importing from spreadsheet. Oh well

Offline rfbroadband

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 05:21:33 am »
see attachments

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2017, 12:37:20 pm »

Either google doc or partsbox.io are online and while you can export a local backup you still have to keep it in sync.  How do you access when your internet connection is down?

Offline packetbob

• Contributor
    • zappedmyself.com
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 03:17:26 pm »
Either google doc or partsbox.io are online and while you can export a local backup you still have to keep it in sync.  How do you access when your internet connection is down?

While you can export your data from PartsBox (via a json file) I don't know of anyway to view or manipulate the data.

However you can also export your parts list in a .csv file. This will include all the parts information from the database.
If you keep a recent copy of this file on your PC then you can always access the info should you not be able to connect to the hosted site..

Not perfect but considering it's cost (free for hobbyists) I haven't found anything easier to use than PartsBox..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:16:12 am by packetbob »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 03:25:12 pm »
Pill bottles? Meh, I'd loose 'em. While we seem headed in a traditional direction:
Gerber baby food jars.. Done for ions: Screw lids under strong shelf and twist jars to open contents.

This is the idea, but the smaller Gerber jars are better. They don't break so easy or make things too heavy.

Here's the ones I meant. Do not buy them unless you like awful food. (ask a new mother to collect them for you).

Brilliant idea, thanks!  :-+

Offline mleyden

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 12:10:49 am »
Came across these: http://www.5thpostulate.com/wentai-snap-boxes - you can find them on ebay & aliexpress

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 05:15:56 am »
Gerber baby food jars.. Done for ions:
I bought a few of these when perusing the grocery store for something to store a working quantity of flux. I figured the size and shape was good for refilling syringes from.

Well, I noticed right away that the lids on these jars don't have any proper threading. There's just a thin foam layer that takes the shape of the threads on the glass jar mouth. I suppose they will last long 'nuff for most purposes. But if you try to store certain volatile solvents, the foam swells and melts, and the threading and seal are gone. You'll notice the lid doesn't look like it's screwed down all the way. Then you'll find the lid just pulls straight off without turning, and that a little smear of gooey "marshmallow" is all that's left of the threads.  :palm:

I found something better for my purpose (vinegar bottles and mustard jars are built to contain acid). But these Gerber jars are cheap as chips for holding screws or whatnot. I tossed em all, though. I didn't like how the lid doesn't go back on, positively. They're easy to "cross thread," as it were. Sometimes I just ended up mashing the lid down.

For component storage, most of the components I use in any quantity or frequency are SMD caps, resistors, diodes, and trannies. I use a test tube rack for those. And/or a reel rack for stuff I use a really lot of. The larger stuff might include some voltage regulators, power resistors, pin headers, switches, and what not, stored in small baggies and put into a boxes. But most of the stuff that doesn't fit several hundred parts to a test tube is just random crap. I don't have a storage system for transformers, solenoids, inductors, 20A relays, motors, et al, lol. It might fit in a shoebox. It might fit in a bankers box. It might fit in a 5 gallon bucket. But this stuff isn't going to fit into a neat organizer or mini drawer system. I'll hopefully find the few leftover of specific [IC, large electrolytic, connector, etc] when I need them. But I'll just as soon order that part plus all the other specific parts I need, if/when I am designing a new circuit. In the meantime, I can usually keep busy for the 2-3 days for shipping with prototyping/testing/debugging the control circuitry and/or designing the PCB.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:47:40 am by KL27x »

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 05:28:58 am »
Pesonal card folder, I don't know who has that many personal cards but they are useful for holding components  :scared:
I have that folder with a great deal of different components, when sourcing big quantities they don't fit but is useful to have a nice selection when you go out and you need to carry some components, I hate is so usual for me but nice to have my folder in my backpack when I do need them.

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 01:17:33 pm »
I don't have the space for a lab or big storage solutions. I always have to take everything out of my drawers and put everything back in again when finished. Therefore I use mostly small plastic zip-bags sorted in small cardboard boxes and a few plastic compartment boxes for bigger and diverse components where I only have a small quantities of.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »
I don't have space either or even a workbench.  I fell back on my college process where I have a bunch of tackle storage boxes stacked in a toolbox.  I have a simple plastic toolbox with the tray holding protoboards and such, then you lift it out and there are the tackle storage boxes, one for resistors, one for capacitors, etc.  Mechanical stuff (bolts, nuts, heatshrink, connectors, standoffs, etc) are in similar in a tackle storage bag.  tools all go in one of those tool bags with slots for everything.  Then specialized stuff, say PIC or Arduino each have their own box.

Offline Teledog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 06:49:43 pm »
It's getting messy, as I've been lazy lately, but..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf