Author Topic: How should I wire my ethernet sockets?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline ArnauVF4Topic starter

• Contributor
How should I wire my ethernet sockets?
« on: January 03, 2019, 02:58:00 pm »
I bought two sockets, for connecting one end to a cable and then router, and then the other  one to a cable and a computer.The sockets and cable are cat 6.

(The two sockets need to be connected to each other using a cat6 cable)

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:12:56 pm by ArnauVF4 »

Offline GeoffreyF

• Regular Contributor
Re: How should I wire my ethernet sockets?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 03:15:38 pm »
Here is the result of a 10 second google.

https://incentre.net/ethernet-cable-color-coding-diagram/

It's important to know that the wiring is in twisted pairs.   It will not work if you do not observe this pairing.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 03:26:42 pm »
Just respect pin to pin.every modern nic knows switching pairs if needed.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:39:44 pm »
Gigabit ethernet is significantly more picky about signal integrity issues like maintaining the twisted pair right up to the plug. Basically its RF - each pair is a differential transmission line. It's really pretty much a marvel of engineering that it 'just works' - and so well now.

A long time ago one often needed to use a crossover Ethernet cable in some patching situations but now most switches (all 1000-BaseT "gigabit" Ethernet switches do) automatically select - so a special crossover cable isn't necessary except sometimes on old slow non-gigabit HW that doesnt have a specially marked crossover jack. (Typically this is done for the 'uplink' port on a lower speed switch/router so users don't need a special cable)

Use hardware thats designed for Cat 6 and if you're making your own cables, invest a few bucks in a cable tester device..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:55:30 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:57:43 pm »
I can't even understand the question. I can't parse the OP. I am not sure what the question is.

To me "socket" implies female. It sounds like he may be trying to build an ethernet cable with female RJ45 at the ends.

At any rate, to the question "How should I wire my ethernet sockets?" I would answer "you should wire them correctly".
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 03:59:30 pm »
You have to wire the pairs correctly to the plugs or the pairs won't be twisted together correctly in the wire which will cause a lot of issues. You should use the 568B wiring standard since that is the most common. Nothing stopping you from using your own colour scheme for pairs so long as you do both ends the same and don't mismatch the pairs but it'll be a potential maintenance headache so best not to do it.

Gigabit ethernet is significantly more picky about signal integrity issues like maintaining the twisted pair right up to the plug. Basically its RF - each pair is a differential transmission line. It's really pretty much a marvel of engineering that it 'just works' - and so well now.
I've seen this happen with 100Mbps Ethernet as well on a 10m run that wasn't wired correctly. Looking at the interface statistics showed lots of bad packets and it would occasionally drop to 10Mbps only mode. Rewired it properly and could do 100Mbps with zero errors.

Offline jeffsf

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 04:07:40 pm »
It's critical for high-speed Ethernet (and arguably even CAT5 wiring) to not only connect the right wires to the right terminals, but also to not have the pairs untwisted for any distance. Guidelines that I have read include that the jacket not be removed for more than 1/2" (12 mm) and that the pairs not be untwisted. Clearly the pairs have to be untwisted just enough to be able to punch them down or insert into a crimp-style plug, but care should be taken to keep the cable as undisturbed as possible.

With the relatively low cost of pre-made cables (as the OP seems to be talking about plugs), it is difficult to recommend home-made Ethernet cabling.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:09:46 pm by jeffsf »

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 04:23:27 pm »
I can't even understand the question. I can't parse the OP. I am not sure what the question is.

To me "socket" implies female. It sounds like he may be trying to build an ethernet cable with female RJ45 at the ends.

At any rate, to the question "How should I wire my ethernet sockets?" I would answer "you should wire them correctly".

That is uncalled for and unnecessarily rude.

So why don't you help him out with a few relevant links? Not everyone's abilities are the same. He may have a very slow connection, he may not know what terms to search for, there may be other reasons.

If you feel the question is not worth your time then the polite thing to do is move on. No need to be insulting.

Offline rbm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 04:59:24 pm »
The way I read the OP's question is that he is in the process of wiring a residence for Ethernet.  In one location in the residence, he has a router, the other location he has a computer.  He wants to string a Cat6 cable between the two locations and use a wall plate at either end.  His plan is to use a jumper cable between the router and the wall plate, and the computer and the wall plate.  He needs to know the configuration to use to ensure signals are sent/received correctly.  At least, that's what I read into the message.

He needs to wire the wall plates straight through and choose either T-568A or T-568B wiring scheme.  I'd recommend T-568B to be most compatible with telephony and networking equipment.  Information can be found in many places on the Net; here's one:  https://incentre.net/ethernet-cable-color-coding-diagram/
- Robert

The following users thanked this post: cdev, tooki

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 05:32:33 pm »
The way I read the OP's question is that he is in the process of wiring a residence for Ethernet.  In one location in the residence, he has a router, the other location he has a computer.  He wants to string a Cat6 cable between the two locations and use a wall plate at either end.  His plan is to use a jumper cable between the router and the wall plate, and the computer and the wall plate.  He needs to know the configuration to use to ensure signals are sent/received correctly.  At least, that's what I read into the message.
That makes sense.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 06:32:34 pm »
I use Leviton Quickport boxes and plug in jacks and mine use a phone type punch down connector. (looks like a little blade you press the wire into a conductive holder that grabs it tight, like a phone punch down block) I have a bunch of them, (one example SKU is "Quickport Snap-in design No. 5G108-W" which is a 10 pack of female Cat 5e jacks, 8 position, 8 conductors

Mine are labeled Cat5e but they work great for Gigabit Ethernet as well. Have never presented any kind of problem.

The boxes will accept different numbers of female Ethernet jacks, (3 is what I usually use.) they are neat, they seem to even tolerate not being connected to the wall okay. In other words you can mistreat them and they don't come undone.

Just if you have multiple (like three) cables coming into your box, multiple cable tie the three cables together so its not a tripping hazard. Also use a nylon cable tie so they have strain relief.

I would strongly recommend mounting the boxes to walls but sometimes you need them to be available somewhere else, like on a table.

Since nobody else brought this up it is absolutely imperative to keep your Ethernet wires away from mains power wires.

Don't ever attempt to run them through the same conduits or share boxes with mains power carrying anything.

Also keep them away from CATV wires or any other kinds of low or high voltage wires.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:39:42 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 07:13:22 pm »
Mine are labeled Cat5e but they work great for Gigabit Ethernet as well. Have never presented any kind of problem.
Perhaps that’s becsuse gigabit Ethernet requires only Cat 5. ;)

Another vote for the Leviton QuickPort (aka Keystone jack) though, I’ve used them for a few installs.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:46:52 pm »
3rd vote for Leviton.  I have used 3 outlet plates for phone, ethernet and cable.  Works fine business.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf