Author Topic: Is there an online service for looking up/cross referencing components  (Read 1305 times)

Offline tomoramTopic starter

• Contributor
I'm still fairly new to the world of electronics. While I'm getting better at the understanding and designing, I'm finding the locating and sourcing of parts a complete nightmare.

Current example: I'm following a design which requires a 1N1418 diode. This diode doesn't seem to exist in my usual online stores (in the UK). When I Google it I get a few datasheets but Google has mostly decided to replace the search with 1N4148.

My question: am I doing this the way everyone else does (i.e. searching Farnell, RS, Rapid, Mouser, etc + Google)? Or, is there some (not so) secret online cross-referencing database you all are using? I'd love to type in "1N1814" and get a list of typical uses, alternatives, etc. Also, being able to search something like TL074 and getting a summary of the differences between the variations (i.e. TL074ACN vs TL074CD vs TL074ID).

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: Is there an online service for looking up/cross referencing components
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 10:41:14 pm »
What I do is download a data sheet.  I have a lot of experience (some day so will you) and have a pretty good idea what might work.  If I am stumped I will post a question online and usually get a useful answer.

Back in the day there were substitution guides published but they no longer exist.

The 1N1418 appears to be a 10W 15V zener diode.  Those are readily available with other designations.  Try NTE5191A.

I also have some older publications that gives specs for thousands of old part numbers and I treasure those books.  So if you need info on some specific part, ask.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:44:05 pm by bob91343 »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 10:43:54 pm »
I'm following a design which requires a 1N1418 diode.
I suspect it's a typo and actual part is 1N4148.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 11:01:28 pm »
1N1418 is a big clunky 10W zener diode which is obsolete, suggested replacement from Microsemi is 1N2979

Online CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 11:35:18 pm »
I still keep one of the last published ECG-Sylvania/NTE NewTone Electronics
cross reference guides as well as all 3 of their published data books on their
products. They still have an online cross-reference service, but it was never
as good as the published stuff. My cross-reference is 1996 edition and I still
use it when repairing amplifiers and so forth. I have homebrewed a lot of
projects using ECG/NTE parts!!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 11:41:50 pm »
I'm still fairly new to the world of electronics. While I'm getting better at the understanding and designing, I'm finding the locating and sourcing of parts a complete nightmare.

Parts sourcing isn't a nightmare, but rather a complex task that requires effort and experience.  If you start by assuming it should be trivially easy, you'll be disappointed.

Are you sure about that part number?  Show us the design or how it is used.  One of the issues that I run into in what I do (repairing things) is that the parts may be obsolete and there may not be an exact equivalent.  It is not possible to do an exact cross-reference for a given part, because a substitute that works well in one application may fail in another.  If you are working with old designs, you may have the same issues--try and stay with current designs if you don't want to spend all that much time and effort sourcing parts.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 11:45:53 pm »
https://www.ultralibrarian.com/ might be something that can help.

Offline jlo

Offline tomoramTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 11:58:51 am »
What I do is download a data sheet.  I have a lot of experience (some day so will you) and have a pretty good idea what might work.  If I am stumped I will post a question online and usually get a useful answer.

I look forward to that day, currently it feels like a huge struggle.

The 1N1418 appears to be a 10W 15V zener diode.  Those are readily available with other designations.  Try NTE5191A.

No after reviewing I'm certain it's an incorrect part number and 1N4148 may be the correct one.

I also have some older publications that gives specs for thousands of old part numbers and I treasure those books.  So if you need info on some specific part, ask.

Those sound like gold.

I suspect it's a typo and actual part is 1N4148.

I think you are correct.

1N1418 is a big clunky 10W zener diode which is obsolete, suggested replacement from Microsemi is 1N2979

It's definitely not that, so assuming it's a typo  :-DD

Parts sourcing isn't a nightmare, but rather a complex task that requires effort and experience.  If you start by assuming it should be trivially easy, you'll be disappointed.

I'm sure it's gets easier with experience, but as a new comer, it feels harder that it should be with the modern web.

https://www.ultralibrarian.com/ might be something that can help.

Thanks.

I use https://octopart.com/ :)

Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf