Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a cheap solder that's good for practice/learning?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Cyber AkumaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Is there such a thing as a cheap solder that's good for practice/learning?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2022, 10:12:08 pm »
But I wouldn't buy either of those: the 63/37 I linked to above is better than the 60/40 but actually costs LESS.

Here it is again: https://www.amazon.com/KESTER-SOLDER-24-6337-0027-Solder-183%C2%B0C/dp/B09DQ6ZK42/

I forgot to mention, is that diameter more suited for through-hold, or for smaller SMD components? Another reason I was looking at those two was that the first one has a smaller diameter. I wanted to start out first on through-hole practice boards, and then once I have familiarity with some basics of soldering try to use some SMD practice soldering boards. Would that 0.025 dimeter one I posted be more useful for smaller component smd soldering? Would it be too small for through-hole components? Would the other 0.031 diameter one be too big for SMD?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2022, 10:22:40 pm »
It does not matter that much, it is mostly a matter of personal preference and generally all those < 1 mm diameters will be suitable. By the time solder is anywhere near the component, it is molten in a blob.

I personally just go for 0.025, it is not too thin, not too thick.

If I were assembling some massive quantities of though hole components, I'd probably go fo something thicker, since through hole components take a lot of solder and it gets annoying to feed a lot of thin solder. But for hobby stuff, it is manageable.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Cyber Akuma

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2022, 10:48:32 pm »
You can always cut a length off and double it up if you have a situation that calls for thicker solder.

The following users thanked this post: Cyber Akuma

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2022, 02:17:08 pm »
If you are near the Westmont area in Illinois, Microcenter has a brick-and-mortar store

https://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/westmont.aspx

They carry several brands and are well worth paying a visit, as they also have a lot more w.r.t. kits, parts and tools for electronics.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Cyber AkumaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 09:36:56 pm »
If you are near the Westmont area in Illinois, Microcenter has a brick-and-mortar store

https://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/westmont.aspx

They carry several brands and are well worth paying a visit, as they also have a lot more w.r.t. kits, parts and tools for electronics.

I was at a Microcenter recently, it's there I got my Hakko soldering iron since it was on sale, but I didn't recognize any of the solder brands other than MG Chemicals that only came in tiny tubes that cost a lot more than on Amazon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf