Electronics > Beginners

Is this 220v capable board? (Dewalt DCB095)

(1/3) > >>

haizaar:
Hi all,

I've got myself the US version of one of those DeWalt 8V screwdrivers. The charger says it's 110v but seemingly the same kit is sold on Amazon AU, and AU reviewers say it's 220v capable (just need a plug adapter). Also on some other non-English forum people reported that post 2020 chargers are actually 220v ready but didn't go into details.

Is one capable to tell whether mine is 220v capable? The pictures are here: https://imgur.com/a/uwus7gM.

Thanks a bunch!

bidrohini:
In the 2nd picture of the board, it is written '250V'. Looks like it can be powered up with 220V directly.

pcprogrammer:
The one component to check to make sure is the big black capacitor in the primary part of the power supply. If it is rated for 400V or more then yes it should might be capable of handling 220V.

Edit: in light of the rightful remarks of wasedadoc and Ian.M, I changed it to might be capable.

wasedadoc:

--- Quote from: pcprogrammer on December 04, 2022, 07:42:10 am ---The one component to check to make sure is the big black capacitor in the primary part of the power supply. If it is rated for 400V then yes it should be capable of handling 220V.

--- End quote ---
That is not a guarantee. What is true is that if that capacitor is rated less than 400 volts then the board should not be used on 220 volt. The converse does not necessarily hold.

Ian.M:
You'd also need to check the specs on the switching transistor Q1 and look at the track layout to see if there are adequate creepage and clearance distances for 230V mains supply.  Even so, at best it would be indicative of a 230V rated design, and would *NOT* guarantee it wouldn't go bang! or rapidly degrade  if fed with 240V AC.

*MOST* manufacturers with wide voltage range capable PSUs are happy to claim that on the exterior ratings label.   If it doesn't say something like 100V - 250V AC on the label, odds are it isn't capable of operating at a significantly different supply voltage without possibly extensive modifications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version