Author Topic: lab equipment  (Read 22330 times)

Offline eevblogfanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: lab equipment
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 03:51:05 pm »
hey

thank you for the tip !

is this is a good deal ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270768755476?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_857wt_1029

total cost : 250$ including shipping , is it good idea ?

thank you in advance ! :)

Offline hlavac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 05:20:50 pm »
If you are going to do some microcontrollers, think about adding AVR Dragon or PicKit 3 (2?). I got both.
Good enough is the enemy of the best.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 06:53:36 pm »
thank you , but I am more excited in the logick circuits and through-hole component ( the problem with SMD is that if you've got limited budget ,in my opinion , it will cos you more them through-hole  and prototype board )

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 06:51:33 pm »
well I am about to pay for that HP-E3610A shortly , does anyone think it's wrong or not so smart ? (really ,I need to hear you're comments )

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 07:00:14 pm »
well I am about to pay for that HP-E3610A shortly , does anyone think it's wrong or not so smart ? (really ,I need to hear you're comments )

How much are you thinking of paying for it? Buying HP/Agilent is usually a BAD idea because they are far overpriced. This particular PSU isn't all that great: 30W is quite pathetic really. I'd recommend going for a GPS-4303 (http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGPS4303.html) if you can.

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »

Just so you know...  If you are in the US or Canada and you buy a new Agilent E3600-series power supply, you get a free U1272A multimeter.

Test Equity has them

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 02:32:32 am »
thanks , I am already know that , but unfortunately , I am not from there  :'(   . and I have got 3 meters too , so with my  950$ limited budget, I think it won't be so smart , but thank you anyway !

How much are you thinking of paying for it? Buying HP/Agilent is usually a BAD idea because they are far overpriced. This particular PSU isn't all that great: 30W is quite pathetic really. I'd recommend going for a GPS-4303 (http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGPS4303.html) if you can.

hey , thank you , but I am not after the power here , what I was looking for is the low ripple high usability and reliability in the long term . 

for the higher power project's of mine , in the future , I'll build the 300W power supply I wanted too , ( 4X 0-15V@0-5A , or maybe even 1.25V -2.5-upon the regulation circuit , ) I really think that 0-6V@3A and 0-15V@2A is quiet ideal for circuitry (  op-amps, amplifiers,oscillators , etc etc ... )

for now, I have got "hacked" ATX , I changed the voltage to be about 12.2V@18A full load (It does some high frequency noise from the transformer or maybe the switching element's - IE  MOSFET's ><"  ) so for  216W power supply (at the 12V terminal only ! ) it's kinda hi power and I can't really see why should I go over my head ,  I might build some electronic load ; 120W (0-120V@0-10A )  so at 12V@10A or as high as 120V@ 1A I think it should do for me :P

at the beginning , I had some crazy ideas (such as 0-30V@0-100A power supply ) , but at the time , I realized , that a good idea will be to use some chippie ATX power supplies if needed (rewound the secondary and change few components  and values ) ,

look at me , my requirements went that low , from 3KW down to 30W  ::)

I figured that if I'll need some 30V@10A supply , I'll go to that page and begin with soldering , here : http://www.chirio.com/switching_power_supply_atx.htm

thank you in advance !
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:02:02 am by eevblogfan »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 08:43:24 am »
Wait , have i seen any GW Instek stuff break down ? NO !
Skip the HP . I have not seen any china PSU clones break down either , they are simple enough not to break down in a few months .
Mind you GW Instek comes from Taiwan and Taiwan is very unlike China neither is GW Instek like any of the other China manufacturers .

• Frequent Contributor

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »
Skip the analogs.
Get the DS1052e if you are in a pinch for money, or else get the SDS7102.
Thankfully DS1102e doesn't cost much more but at the price of the DS1102e it is SMARTER to go for the owon.

Unless you got so lucky that the ds1052e can be hacked mang.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 09:32:51 am »
hey

thanks for replay ,

I saw the ds1102E for 399$ hence I think I'll put that money . unlike the owon . I saw for like 650$ or something (correct me if I'm wrong ... )

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 10:10:27 am »
hey

thanks for replay ,

I saw the ds1102E for 399$ hence I think I'll put that money . unlike the owon . I saw for like 650$ or something (correct me if I'm wrong ... )

A shop quoted me 565 for VGA+Battery. Good deal i'll say

Offline Kilroy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 01:52:04 pm »
Skip the analogs.

Why do I always cringe when I read something like this?
The fool generalizes the particular; the nerd particularizes the general; some do both; and the wise does neither.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 02:30:43 pm »
Yeah, I would get one of each.  Getting the DSO first, though, because of the storage ability.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 09:59:04 pm »
Skip the analogs.

Maybe it is due to the sort of chats i have been having with a PEE.

Or maybe it is just me who doesn't want to spend extra since i don't like the Auto button on digital scopes after all.

But if you think about it, without overclocked ADC's and 10M full speed memory, why not?

Makes analogs pointless, only if one has the extra cash. I still don't see a point of a extra bulky scope, can someone enlighten me?

alm

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 01:13:49 am »
Screen refresh rate (which is usually only limited by sweep speed and trigger re-arm delay), screen resolution (it's much easier to see a small wiggle on a real CRT without quantization), intensity grading (which many DSOs try to emulate) for example. Sure, they are rarely used in the industry, but so are the cheap low-end DSOs that hobbyists like to use.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2012, 05:26:31 am »
Screen refresh rate (which is usually only limited by sweep speed and trigger re-arm delay), screen resolution (it's much easier to see a small wiggle on a real CRT without quantization), intensity grading (which many DSOs try to emulate) for example. Sure, they are rarely used in the industry, but so are the cheap low-end DSOs that hobbyists like to use.

Yes. A DSO3000X is fast, but hey, that's far more expensive then a analog.
Still not buying a analog, i don't have the space.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:59 am »
Skip the analogs.

Ah .. you've bumped into that crap poster again, just put him your the ignore list.

This dude is well known of producing lots of annoying crap posts in this forum.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 06:27:54 am »
Skip the analogs.

Ah .. you've bumped into that crap poster again, just put him your the ignore list.

This dude is well known of producing lots of annoying crap posts in this forum.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 11:54:02 am »
I wonder if Dave has ever counted the number of meters he has?

It's well over 20, but the majority are cheapies.
For me, a well equipped lab will have at least 2 good high end meters on tap (e.g. Fluke 87 class), plus another two cheaper ones.
4 is handy for simultaneous input/output power measurements for example.
Plus a pocket meter is handy too.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2012, 12:00:38 pm »
Or maybe it is just me who doesn't want to spend extra since i don't like the Auto button on digital scopes after all.
But if you think about it, without overclocked ADC's and 10M full speed memory, why not?
Makes analogs pointless, only if one has the extra cash. I still don't see a point of a extra bulky scope, can someone enlighten me?

Lower noise floor and greater resolution is the usual answer, and seeing stuff the cheap low update rate digital scopes can't.
But the extra space and extra money can be a big deciding factor for many to not get one, and the fact that it would likely be rarely used if you have a modern DSO.
If you could only have ONE scope, it would have to be a modern DSO, as they are just so much more flexible.
But an analog is still nice to have "just in case". And especially so for a beginner to play around with.

Dave.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 12:58:30 pm »

Lower noise floor and greater resolution is the usual answer, and seeing stuff the cheap low update rate digital scopes can't.
But the extra space and extra money can be a big deciding factor for many to not get one, and the fact that it would likely be rarely used if you have a modern DSO.
If you could only have ONE scope, it would have to be a modern DSO, as they are just so much more flexible.
But an analog is still nice to have "just in case". And especially so for a beginner to play around with.

Dave.

This was exactly what i was trying to say. Thanks Dave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 04:15:33 am »
I have paied for the HP-3610E

so about 20-30 days and I'll have it in my hands :P

I have also orderd dave's uCurrent adapter , It should arrive within few days !

next thing is scope . only on the 8.11.12 ( the money would be relised to me at the 10.8.12 or day after :'(  )

oh and I sold all of mine 5 12AH 12V SLA batteries ( 3Xold stok but good condition , and 2 used )
so not really big capacity is left there :P

all for 128$ ( like 25.64$ per each )  ne one here cost tines 2 . so for old +used ones , half a price (in my country )  is a good profit :P

well , now I have got 128$ extra to spend (or invest should I say ? )

what should I buy ?

well I thout about :

1, lab bread boeard

2,some component kits ( especcialy resistors )

3,set of tweesers

4,set of schrew drivers+ emergency type 

5,some drawers

6,mixed smiconductor components ( power transistors, regolators,mosfets, etc )

7, some prototype  boards

8, that soldering iron tip cleaner ( sort of metal spong)

9,some connectors and banana plugs

10, maybe some trimmers kit ( I found them really useful on the breadboard )

and thats it , any other idea (s) >?

thank you in advance !

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 06:41:30 pm »
i have that metal sponge in my weller toolstand, hell its make a mess, tiny solder balls etc if you flip the thing and it falls out and slightly used up bits of its way stands out from the whole thing, plugs and wires always good idea, as for resistor there are some assortsmen on ebay but dunno about the quality but they state its 1% and few thousand resistors for few bucks is not a bad deal, for component drawyers http://hu.farnell.com/raaco/126762/cabinet-organiser-44compartment/dp/1367091 someone posted these on this forum and they looks nice, but when i have money they dont stock it...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf