Author Topic: Lab PSU for learners  (Read 763 times)

Offline AcdNrgTopic starter

Lab PSU for learners
« on: May 02, 2024, 11:54:37 am »
Hi all,

I´m kinda new to Electronics, started with soldering by numbers for a number of Eurorack Modules. Now, after 50 or so successful builds with almost no magic smoke, I want to dive in a littler deeper and actually understand what these circuits are doing. Most of them are analog.

That said, 90% of my projects are going to be for this environment, ie power is +12V, -12V and 5V plus limited power consumption, typically a few mA to something under 300mA.

With a few obvious gaps in my knowledge, I´m looking to close those and this should always come along with practice. In other words:

I need a reliable PSU that
- offers said voltages without much hassle
- is forgiving stupid noob mistakes
- offers solid precision for later endeavours
- maybe offers power consumption graphs, but that´s not a must

From what I´ve found so far, Rigol DP832, DP832A look like good candidates, the siglent 3303X meets the specs, but got a not so great review.

What are your thoughts on that, any recommendations, warnings, comments?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Lab PSU for learners
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 01:17:05 pm »
Another approach could be "go as you grow", i.e. starting with a basic lab PSU matching your current needs and  then getting a more sophisticated one when your requirements change. If you delve into electronics as a long term hobby, most likely you're going to have multiple PSUs anyway. For example, Korad offers some inexpensive basic lab PSUs.

The following users thanked this post: AcdNrg

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 08:08:18 pm »
I have been using a home made 0-25V, 0-3A power supply since 1976. I modified it to use digital meters in place of the analogue ones.

My power supply has adjustable current limit down to just a few mA, very handy to avoid problems with low power circuits.

Do you really need something as complex as the Rigol DP832? Over the years I have built a lot of equipment and never felt the need to spend that kind of money on a power supply.

SJ

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 08:27:48 pm »
If you want linear:

https://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-TP3005P-Programmable-Variable-Regulated/dp/B06XCQN82X

If you don't care about switching power supplies than go with any of these:

https://rdtech.aliexpress.com/store/1100599049

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 11:15:35 am »
Another approach could be "go as you grow"

Makes sense, although getting +-12V and +5 in a single box automatically led me to the Rigol. Thanks for posting the other option, I will look into that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 11:19:51 am by AcdNrg »

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 11:18:49 am »
home made 0-25V, 0-3A power supply since 1976.

I thought about DIY the PSU as well, but prefer something that "just works" for now.  No doubt the next Eurorack case will get a DIY PSU, but for reference, easy of access etc I go with something commercial first step. Looking at the Rigol and similar mainly because they just do what I need out of the box - their complex features may be utilized later.

Basically I´m running on two tracks: One is the production of Eurorack modules for my ever growing system and the other is learning Electronics. A ready made PSU should serve well in both tracks, convenience for track one and options (complexity) for track two.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 11:25:07 am by AcdNrg »

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 11:29:40 am »
Buddy of mine mentioned an HP E3631A which is collecting dust at his workbench.

https://www.keysight.com/us/en/product/E3631A/80w-triple-output-power-supply-6v-5a--25v-1a.html

Any opinion on that thing?

It´s old, 20+ years, but appears to work. A cheaper entrypoint for sure, he is willilng to borrow it "for now" and mentioned.
https://www.keysight.com/us/en/product/E3631A/80w-triple-output-power-supply-6v-5a--25v-1a.html

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 11:30:44 am »
If you want linear:

Linear is said to be better suited for the audio related work I focus on, but that´s just hearsay for me. Will look into those options, thank you!

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 11:35:06 am »
I think it is hard to develop your own variable PS. Not so hard with a small one output PS.   Best to go with a triple PS, sounds like that is what you need. There is a reason they make these things. Like You, many folks require pos and neg supplies and a TTL PS.   
You could save some money and buy an older triple PS, but then you would have to verify the volt output with a multimeter, which you do not want to do. I don't blame you. It is another time consuming step.

That Keysight PS looks wonderful, wish I had one.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 11:38:24 am by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 11:59:27 am »
The E3631A is a great PSU if you can get it (as with the rest in that range), I wouldn't hesitate.

I also have the Siglent you mention that I hacked to the better model (I made a guide on doing the upgrade here on the forum somewhere). I haven't used it in anger yet, but it works great so far.
The newer ones have had revisions to their design that fixes problems in the earlier units.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 08:12:23 am »
Long story short, I now have the E3631A sitting on my bench and can test it as long as I want. Should I decide to keep it, I can have it for 50 bucks. I guess that´s a very fair deal and will see how far it will carry me.

Thanks for all your input, all replies were very helpful in my decisionmaking!

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2024, 10:22:16 am »
$50 is an amazing deal! They sell for the equivalent of a couple hundred or more each here in Japan.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2024, 11:02:52 am »
Yeah Agilent is a top brand, it's a fairly new PSU if it's only from the early 2000's. Overall that would make it harder to repair, compared to ones made with all discrete parts, like something from the 1960's. But there's still lots that could be repaired on them.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2024, 05:23:26 pm »
Yeah Agilent is a top brand, it's a fairly new PSU if it's only from the early 2000's. Overall that would make it harder to repair, compared to ones made with all discrete parts, like something from the 1960's. But there's still lots that could be repaired on them.

Well, call it a buddy discount. He knows he could sell it for more, but he´s happy to support me getting into electronics. Will likely throw in a bbq and a few beers to sweeten the deal ;)

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2024, 07:45:04 pm »
It's amazing how much choice there is nowadays. When I was looking to buy a low cost 'triple' PSU in my youth I ended up buying a well used Philips PE1542 for just £15 at a radio rally. This was a long time ago now.

This PSU offers 0-20V 1A (adjustable current limit) on two channels and 0-7V 3A (adjustable current limit) on the third channel. This is all contained in a small box making it ideal for those with limited bench space. This PSU still works today although I rarely use it.

If you could find a healthy example at a low price, the Philips PE1542 is an ideal beginner's PSU as it's possible to use the dual 0-20V supplies for op-amps and the third output can be used for logic circuits.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf