Author Topic: LED backlight driver  (Read 733 times)

Offline KaishaTopic starter

• Contributor
LED backlight driver
« on: December 07, 2021, 12:40:00 pm »
Been trying to put together an LED backlight driver for a small LCD screen (https://www.buydisplay.com/download/manual/ER-TFT032A3-3_Datasheet.pdf).  The backlight runs at 3.2v, 100mA.  I'll be running this off a pair of lithium ion batteries in series (ie. 10V-6V range).  I was going to have the board made at JLCPCB with their SMT service.

I've been looking through all the led drivers they have available and none seem to be usable.  All the led buck converters require a very large power inductor, often in the 100's-1000s of uH given the low power draw of the backlight (it seems, counterintuitively, that the lower the current draw, the larger the inductor).  The buck regulators that do support lower current draw (have a 'skip mode' or 'eco mode') are all constant voltage regulators, not constant current.

Are there any led buck drivers (preferably with some sort of dimming) that would work for my situation?  This seems like a pretty basic application, I'm not sure why I'm finding it so hard to find a decent part.

Offline Steffalompen

• Contributor

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: LED backlight driver
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 02:12:40 pm »
Have you tried Digikey's parametric search?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 02:15:21 pm by madires »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 02:15:06 pm »
I appreciate the input, but if I'm reading the datasheet correctly, it doesn't support leds below 170 mA.  It's also a tad pricey (12$) and quite large for fitting on my pcb.

I imagine it has the same problem, smaller current draws require larger inductors unless 'skip mode' or 'eco mode' type of buck converter is used.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 02:16:30 pm »
Have you tried Digikey's parametric search?

No I did not, I just went through the jlcpcb SMT catalog, then the Texas Instruments and Analog websites.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 02:21:52 pm »
I strongly recommend the parametric search function offered by several distributors. It's a great tool to find parts.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 02:50:51 pm »
I strongly recommend the parametric search function offered by several distributors. It's a great tool to find parts.

I will give it a try.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf