Author Topic: Looking For a Decent Battery Charger For AA/AAA Ni-Cd & Ni-Mh Batteries  (Read 4274 times)

Offline 108CAMTopic starter

• Contributor
  • SkyRC MC3000 Forever!
I'm looking for a decent battery charger that will charge AA & AAA size Ni-Cd & Ni-Mh batteries.
I've tried many over the years and can't find anything decent. I bought a Varta charger like the one that Dave featured in one of his videos and it was good at first but could only charge Ni-Mh batteries. A few years later, all it does is show "Err" for every battery I put in, even the ones that came with it.
I then tried a USB charger that can charge Ni-Mh & Ni-Cd but one of it's slots has stopped working and it often refuses to charge batteries that are good.
Every charger I have tried has had at least one issue and it's left me with a pile of batteries that I don't know the condition of because I can't charge them.
I have checked them with a multimetre but even that can only go so far when it comes to telling me the condition of the battery.
All I want is a decent charger that will charge the good batteries, reject the bad ones and hold more than 4 batteries at once. Any recommendations as to what I should get? I'm sick of wasting my money on junk that never works.
Slowly mastering the art of salvaging 18650's.
Getting better with each pack but still have yet to accomplish my goal of a spark free salvage.
I'll get there someday.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Looking For a Decent Battery Charger For AA/AAA Ni-Cd & Ni-Mh Batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 08:26:29 am »
Much as I generally have much more upmarket chargers for my R/C LiPo packs I brought an Imax B6 (or clone  :-// ) just to take a look and have a play. For the $ they are a great option as an all around charger. Add a few 2 or 4 cell holders as needed. The only downside to this sort of charger is that it will to some degree rely on your cells being fairly closely matched if you want to charge multiple cells.

This is an Aussie limited search for them and not much if any gain to be had importing one in this case Evilbay Imax Search

The other 'toy' I picked up some time ago was this USB option USB charger heaps of similar clones and options but it will be more of a hit and miss affair as to what is under the plastic. Mine has 4 independant charge circuits so no need to run a pair of cells. This one sits in the truck and keeps the Scanner and a few other sets of AA's charged.

As to which one - both. The USB option is idiotproof for everyday while the IMax (or similar) is a good way to look at a range of chemistry's under charge if you get one you think is a dud or for just charging at higher currents.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 08:30:58 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: 108CAM

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 08:57:29 am »
This is an Aussie limited search for them and not much if any gain to be had importing one in this case Evilbay Imax Search
It's not the proper kind of charger for these types of batteries. You will be able to charge them but it won't be nearly as straightforward as putting them in. Not to say like 95% of Imax chargers on ebay are counterfeit clones with poor calibration and reliability. For this price you can buy a quite decent universal charger which can charge 4-8 different batteries individually and has similar functionality as IMAX. While IMAX can only do a single battery pack with balancing.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 09:11:29 am »
NiCd is mostly dead and buried. I've bought several NiMH AA/AAA chargers in recent years that work fine, Nitecore D4 is one. I also have a couple from EBL that do 9 volt, both NiMH and Li-Ion, which I have been very happy with. The Fujitsu has been in use for years now with no problems. I also have a Panasonic version (BQ-CC17) that works just as well.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 09:18:06 am »
It's not the proper kind of charger for these types of batteries. You will be able to charge them but it won't be nearly as straightforward as putting them in. Not to say like 95% of Imax chargers on ebay are counterfeit clones with poor calibration and reliability. For this price you can buy a quite decent universal charger which can charge 4-8 different batteries individually and has similar functionality as IMAX. While IMAX can only do a single battery pack with balancing.

For 30+ years I have been charging 4 and 8 cell pack in both NiCads and Nimh for Tx and Rx use with peak detection chargers. You are WRONG these chargers are a very 'proper' option for this but as I clearly stated that does rely on the packs being somewhere near matched. Not all of the world or equipment works on single discrete cells.

'balancing' (completely the wrong term) of single cell NiMh or Nicads in no way guarantees that those individual cells have capacity X or can deliver Current Y. 'Universal chargers' are largely full of marketing spin and glorified  :bullshit:

Further dumping on Imax/clones for 'poor calibration' in your opinion while praising random non specified 'Universal Chargers' as a superior option is complete :bullshit:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 09:31:47 am »
Look for a charger on a site like Amazon.  They have a lot of different ones at different prices.

Look for one that also TESTs cells not just charge them.  That way you can test a cell after it has been charged to get an idea how well it works as it gets older.  These are typically 4 bay chargers that have an LCD display.
They also have different current settings for NiMH cells such as 500ma, 1000ma, 1500ma, 2000ma, etc.
They also sense the condition of the cell and if the resistance is too high they automatically cut back on the current so the cell does not get too hot.
They also show the terminal voltage while charging, the ampere hours, the time, and of course the actual charge current which may vary for each cell.
The discharge test tells you if the cell is getting too old.  For example if the cell can hold 2000mAh when new and it is tests as low as 1000mAh then it must be getting old and so wont run a device as long as when new.

A typical charger that does all that is the OPUS BT-C3400 but i am sure there are others in that price category which is probably around $40 USD.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 09:35:06 am »
Not all of the world or equipment works on single discrete cells.
Op asked for charging individual cells  :palm:. I own genuine B6AC btw and barely use it. Because it's mainly meant for RC LiPo battery packs.
'balancing' (completely the wrong term) of single cell NiMh or Nicads in no way guarantees that those individual cells have capacity X or can deliver Current Y.
I was talking about IMAX B6. That it has only one output and all it can do is balance a battery pack if there are taps between the cells.
Further dumping on Imax/clones for 'poor calibration' in your opinion while praising random non specified 'Universal Chargers' as a superior option is complete :bullshit:
Yeah sure, mentioning that ~95% of chargers over that link are counterfeit is a blasphemy. OP certainly should not know about that. And do not put words in my mouth, I was talking about counterfeits being poor, not genuine item. But suggesting a charger meant for battery packs for use with individual cells is certainly the smartest thing ever.
All I want is a decent charger that will charge the good batteries, reject the bad ones and hold more than 4 batteries at once.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 09:44:40 am »
And as per USUAL only the word of Wraper can be right.  :palm: when in fact  :bullshit: rules because you are an all knowing  god and only brand X approved by you is the best so all other opinions are wrong :-DD

No One I can think of 'balances' packs of NiMh or NiCads and in 30 + years of punishing the hell out of NiCads and NiMh we have never done it. Your use of the term was WRONG deal with it!

You made a 'rash generalization' to dismiss the Imax/clones without supporting evidence and further claimed 'universal chargers' also likely clones of dubious quality being superior. Ambit claims are not factual so therefore  :bullshit:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:46:20 am by beanflying »

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 09:45:59 am »
I'm using the "Liitokala 500" for all my charge/discharge tests for all AA/AAA or 18650 and other lithium batteries.
You can set the charging current, and do discharge tests or refresh the battery.
https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20LiitoKala%20Lii-500%20UK.html
For AAs and AAAs I switched to LSD batteries like Eneloops a while ago.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 09:54:35 am »
And as per USUAL only the word of Wraper can be right.  :palm: when in fact  :bullshit: rules because you are an all knowing  god and only brand X approved by you is the best so all other opinions are wrong :-DD

No One I can think of 'balances' NiMh or NiCads and in 30 + years of punishing the hell out of NiCads and NiMh we have never done it. Your use of the term was WRONG deal with it!

You made a 'rash generalization' to dismiss the Imax/clones without supporting evidence and further claimed 'universal chargers' also likely clones of dubious quality being superior. Ambit claims are not factual so therefore  :bullshit:
Can you actually read what was written or what? And not put words in my mouth? IMAX cannot charge multiple cells individually is what I said. IMAX B6 can balance lithium cells for sure. I don't care if balancing feature in B6 actually works or does not work for NiMh, I did not make any claims about that. Such battery packs normally do not have taps anyway. Half decent chargers for multiple single cells just charge them individually.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:59:09 am by wraper »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 10:29:38 am »
It's not the proper kind of charger for these types of batteries.

Speaking of YOU NOT READING what I wrote including a discussion on well matched cells by me. You got on the pulpit and made unfounded and ambit claims as to suitability which are WRONG technically, practically and with several decades of my experience WITHOUT MERIT. So yep I call :bullshit:

Again you mention '1/2 decent' Universal Chargers and again with more than a few I have looked at and used over the decades most are of dubious quality and functionality including several that have failed. They are full of marketing BS and fail all to frequently to even charge what turns out to be an ok cell(s). You have given the OP you now seem concerned about ZERO help as to one other than preaching they are the 'best' option.

Unlike even charging several separate cells in a holder and putting on them an IMax/clone will not give anything more than a guess as to capacity added during the charge or their ability to deliver it back out. The charger the Imax was cloned from originally was the Hyperion EOS5i which is and will always be a better option and mine and the IMax (they are ALL Clones) I got actually stack up fairly well in performance and function.

They 'Universal Chargers' are 'an option' but frankly often a flawed one and come with limited options and functionality but if you get a working one for an idiotproof solution they have a place.

While IMAX can only do a single battery pack with balancing.

As to 'balancing' how on this planet do you 'balance' a single NiMh/NiCad pack or cell as some sort of charge state? It was and remains a wrong term and YOU TYPED IT!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 10:33:15 am by beanflying »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 10:36:06 am »
While IMAX can only do a single battery pack with balancing.

As to 'balancing' how on this planet do you 'balance' a single pack NiMh/NiCad pack or cell as some sort of charge state? It was and remains a wrong term and YOU TYPED IT!
Again point to a single place where I said it can balance NiMH/NiCd  :palm:.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 11:25:53 am »
You know just because it says Balanced that doesn't mean it does to ALL the battery types it supports.

Same way as an USB 3.0 norm port does support the max speed if the device is an USB 3.0 compliant, being slower speeds for other norms (sorry for the analogy but it is the best one I came).

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 12:38:14 pm »
I got one of these about a year ago and I'm quite happy with it. AUD$100

https://www.protog.com.au/maha-powerex-mh-c9000pro-aa-aaa-nimh-battery-charg/MHC9000PRO

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2022, 01:04:42 pm »
https://www.skyrc.com/MC3000_Charger
This is not cheap, but it does it ALL.
I have had mine for about 2 years and I love it :popcorn:

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2022, 01:40:11 pm »
A few years ago I scored a used Opus BT-C700 on an auction site, very cheaply because it looks like everybody wants Li-Ion support nowadays. Nice little charger (and discharger), my only complaint is that there is no way to force it to start charging a cell depleted down to zero, it just thinks the slot is empty.

More than you ever wanted to know about battery chargers:
https://lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers%20UK.html

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 02:07:48 pm »
I'm using the IQ338XL which seems to be excellent, but it is both more and less than you are asking for as it does AAA/AA/C/D NiMH and 18650 Li-Ion as well, but has a 4-cell maximum.  I suppose you'd need two of them to meet your needs.  Strictly for AAA/AA NiMH, the Panasonic BQ-CC17 is also good, but slower and only 4 cells.  Other Eneloop-associated chargers may or may not be good as well.

I have a good half-dozen other no-name and EBL-branded chargers that are crap.  So shop carefully and read reviews.

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2022, 02:19:30 pm »
Some hints may be gotten here: https://lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers%20UK.html from the page of one of our forum members.

I have had the AV4m (from MEC or IVT) charger for some time, where I was very happy with, and after the power supply died, I helped myself to a Xtar VC4L (which is ok and affordable) to also be able to charge some Lithium cells.

Especially with Eneloops, I really loved the AV4m, the discharge function was able to get some strange cells on track again.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2022, 05:06:41 pm »
I've been using a Lacrosse BC-900 for years and it works really well. Forget about RC chargers like the Imax, you want something that can charge multiple cells of different types individually. For years I got by with basic chargers that charged in series before I got one with individual channels and that is a huge step up in convenience.

Offline GLouie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2022, 07:58:04 pm »
OP's requirement for more than 4 cells and NiMH+NiCd leaves little choice. IIRC, a NiMH charging algorithm is not exactly best for NiCd and it is never clear if a unit is optimized for one or the other. I do have a Powerex-Maha C801D that fits that spec (8-cell, NiMH and NiCd, AA or AAA) and it has worked fine but I only use it for AA Eneloops in "slow" mode (1k mA) and could not say if it will work on marginal cells with low voltage or high internal resistance. Some chargers certainly balk at marginal cells and some have no problem.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2022, 08:24:24 pm »
Requirement of more than 4 cells does limit things, although most of the 4 cell chargers are compact so it wouldn't be a big issue to set two or more of them side by side to charge the number of cells needed.

• Contributor
  • SkyRC MC3000 Forever!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2022, 12:34:59 am »
Thanks for all the replies. Seeing that I'm quite limited when it comes to chargers with more than 4 slots, I may settle on something with 4 slots.
My USB charger still works fine with the only issue being that only 3 of the 4 slots work. I'll still keep my other chargers but will still definitely consider buying a new charger that will give me a more accurate indication on what batteries are good and which ones are bad.
Do chargers with a "Refresh" function actually extend the life of batteries? I tried using the Refresh function on my Varta charger and it appeared to work but then the batteries I tried to refresh lost their ability to hold a charge and begun to leak shortly after.
https://outdoorcameras.com.au/shop/16-cell-battery-charger/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwguGYBhDRARIsAHgRm49GThiQbaLSKPnrgtsTM85tmpbUxA353ki6knkCs1-SAK5BrB1EwPQaAmTkEALw_wcB
This is what I was thinking of. Does anyone have experience with this charger? It will be perfect for all my Ni-Mh batteries and my USB charger can take the Ni-Cd's as it's very good at charging the good ones and rejecting the bad ones.
Getting better with each pack but still have yet to accomplish my goal of a spark free salvage.
I'll get there someday.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2022, 01:23:28 am »
The Refresh feature works with certain batteries, I have had it restore capacity of cells that got deeply discharged to the point of being slightly reversed. Many nickel based cells take a few cycles to reach full capacity and Refresh will do that. If a cell is truly worn out though there's nothing a charger can do to fix it.

Offline todorp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2022, 08:10:22 am »
Please look here:

Lots of info, very useful. The guy is very active in this forum too, so you might ask him...

Oh, sorry, I see @tszaboo has already posted this link...

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2022, 08:50:58 am »
Maybe SkyRC NC2500 Pro?
They make great chargers and this one has 6 slots.
There are chargers with more slots, however with less "intelligence" - maybe that's OK too. Like https://www.conrad.de/de/p/voltcraft-bc16-rundzellen-ladegeraet-nimh-liion-mignon-aa-micro-aaa-9-v-block-2127444.html - does not support NiCd it seems, if that is still necessary...

Offline GLouie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2022, 04:02:46 pm »
I don't know that charger, but would personally like to know the charge current, full charge detection method, and trickle charge rate. My reasoning is that I like to charge Eneloops at less than 1C (helps keep heat down) and more than 1/2C (helps delta-v charge termination detection). AA and AAA cells can have quite different capacities (C), so I like selectable charge current.

My understanding is that most smart NiMH charge algorithms constantly check cell voltage and when it starts to level out near 1.4v, terminates the charge (delta-v). IIRC, NiMh don't like trickle charging, where this is standard with NiCd. I assume chargers claiming NiMH/NiCd charging use one algorithm. I have no idea if NiCd suffers with this NiMH charge method. I just pull NiMH out soon after the charger says DONE to avoid trickle.

I have a couple of 4 slot analyzing chargers, and seldom use the refresh or analyzing functions. Yes, it may be useful to verify a cell's capacity, but the test involves selecting a discharge current and going through a charge/discharge cycle or two, which can take most of a day. I don't seem to have a problem with Eneloops, so never feel a need to constantly check their capacity.

I can't see a charger automatically and immediately saying whether a cell is "good" other than a cursory check of voltage and internal resistance. Various chargers seem to handle such checks differently; I have an older Maha C9000 that gives an error with some older Eneloop AAA (I'm guessing internal resistance), but a different charger handles them fine.

Most people would prefer everything automatic and simple, but not everything can be so. I also recommend  https://lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers%20UK.html   even though too detailed for most people.

Thanks for all the replies. Seeing that I'm quite limited when it comes to chargers with more than 4 slots, I may settle on something with 4 slots.
My USB charger still works fine with the only issue being that only 3 of the 4 slots work. I'll still keep my other chargers but will still definitely consider buying a new charger that will give me a more accurate indication on what batteries are good and which ones are bad.
Do chargers with a "Refresh" function actually extend the life of batteries? I tried using the Refresh function on my Varta charger and it appeared to work but then the batteries I tried to refresh lost their ability to hold a charge and begun to leak shortly after.
https://outdoorcameras.com.au/shop/16-cell-battery-charger/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwguGYBhDRARIsAHgRm49GThiQbaLSKPnrgtsTM85tmpbUxA353ki6knkCs1-SAK5BrB1EwPQaAmTkEALw_wcB
This is what I was thinking of. Does anyone have experience with this charger? It will be perfect for all my Ni-Mh batteries and my USB charger can take the Ni-Cd's as it's very good at charging the good ones and rejecting the bad ones.

• Contributor
  • SkyRC MC3000 Forever!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2022, 11:46:16 pm »
Sorry for the lack of a response, I've been very busy but during the time away, I've learnt more about rechargeable batteries and how their chemistries degrade over time.

I've also found a way to spot bad cells based on their recharge behaviour in a specific charger. This was done by taking various batteries that needed a recharge and observing how long it took the charger to bring them up to full capacity.

Most of the good batteries took between 12-14 hours to reach full capacity however there were some exceptions such as cells with a lower capacity or batteries that were already near full capacity so therefore less time was required to reach full capacity.

The bad cells would often charge within minutes and then self-discharge really quickly which is a telltale sign of internal degradation that has not yet leaked to the outside.

Thanks for all the help.
I'll get there someday.

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2022, 08:45:24 pm »
I don't know that charger, but would personally like to know the charge current, full charge detection method, and trickle charge rate. My reasoning is that I like to charge Eneloops at less than 1C (helps keep heat down) and more than 1/2C (helps delta-v charge termination detection). AA and AAA cells can have quite different capacities (C), so I like selectable charge current.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I mentioned in my response #15, the SKYRC MC3000 will do what you want to do.   It can connect to your computer, (USB), and using an easy app. configure your charging or discharging any way you want.   And it calculates the milliamphour capacities of your batteries.  But it can only do 4 batteries at a time :popcorn:

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2022, 07:42:20 am »
A few years ago I scored a used Opus BT-C700 on an auction site, very cheaply because it looks like everybody wants Li-Ion support nowadays. Nice little charger (and discharger), my only complaint is that there is no way to force it to start charging a cell depleted down to zero, it just thinks the slot is empty.

More than you ever wanted to know about battery chargers:

I use the LaCrosse branded BTC-700 which is the same as OPUS with a different branding.  There is a way to charge cells depleted down to zero.  You need a good cell (one that requires charging seem to work better), and a metal paper clip (or a breadboard jumper wire).

You insert your depleted cell in a slot, and the a non-depleted cell in the next slot.  The good cell will begin charging while the bad cell say NULL.  Now find a metal paper clip.  Bend the metal paper clip to create a contact between the depleted cell's + and the non-depleted cell's +.  When the contact is good, you should see that the depleted cell begin to charge.  You can remove the paper-clip and it should keep charging.  I keep a short breadboard wire by my charger specifically for this use.

If after you remove the metal paper clip and it turns NULL again, your cell was too depleted (to hold voltage long enough), you will need to maintain the contact a bit longer before removal.  A couple of seconds for the first retry.  If it still go back to NULL, try even longer.  5 seconds or so is the longest I've needed, but a cell is in very bad condition may well need more.

After full charge, you should do a Charge-Test to see what the capacity is.  If appropriate (you got time), you should do a Discharge-Refresh.  Discharge-Refresh mode will charge full then discharge and show mAH capacity.  If this cycle has better capacity than the last time, it will do the charge then discharge cycle again until it doesn't improveThe user manual describes improvement as the only measure it use to terminate cycling and it doesn't have a cycle limit.  It typically works very well, but this approach has a short coming -- it could be running for weeks, and use up the remaining charge-discharge cycles the cell can do before it totally dies.  Even the Eneloop has a charge-discharge cycle limit of 2000 (first gen) to 2500 (later gen).  So infinite cycling will degrade your cell.  May be after a few days, terminate it manually when you feel further improvement is no longer worth the cost of lost cycles.

Look for a charger on a site like Amazon.  They have a lot of different ones at different prices.

Look for one that also TESTs cells not just charge them.  That way you can test a cell after it has been charged to get an idea how well it works as it gets older.  These are typically 4 bay chargers that have an LCD display.
They also have different current settings for NiMH cells such as 500ma, 1000ma, 1500ma, 2000ma, etc.
They also sense the condition of the cell and if the resistance is too high they automatically cut back on the current so the cell does not get too hot.
They also show the terminal voltage while charging, the ampere hours, the time, and of course the actual charge current which may vary for each cell.
The discharge test tells you if the cell is getting too old.  For example if the cell can hold 2000mAh when new and it is tests as low as 1000mAh then it must be getting old and so wont run a device as long as when new.

A typical charger that does all that is the OPUS BT-C3400 but i am sure there are others in that price category which is probably around $40 USD.

I also use the OPUS BTC-3400.  The BTC3400 firmware/hardware look and work exactly like the BTC700 except it also do LiIon batteries.  I like the BTC3400 a lot.

Two other differences:
1. The Discharge-Refresh has cycle limit of 3 for the BTC3400, so it wont cycle your cell to the point of degrading it.  I actually would like it to be a selectable limit but it cant do that.  It is fixed at 3.
2. The BTC3400 has back-lighting for the LCD screen.  Press DISPLAY and it will light up for a few seconds, great help when the room is dim.   The back-light has a hidden feature.  If you hold down the DISPLAY button for 5 seconds, it stays ON.

I purchased the BTC3400 after having the BTC700 for a bit over a year.  Both are in use -- The BTC700 is for family use and BTC3400 is for me only -- I am the only one dealing with LiIon.

EDIT:
re: "...The BTC3400 firmware/hardware look and work exactly like the BTC700 except..."
I worded the sentence wrong which will likely lead to confusion.  The "hardware" there I mean only the user interface hardware.  Same words on the LCD display, same buttons, so on.  The guts are not "exactly" the same since the BTC700 does NiMH only whereas the BTC3400 does NiMH and LiIon accepting cell size up to 18650 (with a few mm extra for protected cells).  The BTC3400 also has higher current capability.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 05:44:20 pm by Rick Law »

• Contributor
  • SkyRC MC3000 Forever!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2022, 04:25:07 am »
As I mentioned in my response #15, the SKYRC MC3000 will do what you want to do.   It can connect to your computer, (USB), and using an easy app. configure your charging or discharging any way you want.   And it calculates the milliamphour capacities of your batteries.  But it can only do 4 batteries at a time :popcorn:
Just had a look at the Skyrc website and found out that it can charge lithium batteries such as LiFePO4's which is something I've been needing for ages as I have a few in need of a charge but have no method to charge them.
The charger is a bit pricey but I'll see if my parents are happy with buying it as a Christmas present even though it will arrive late.
Thanks for the recommendation!
I'll get there someday.

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2022, 08:57:46 pm »
     I've had my MC3000 for a couple years and I use it to charge ALL kinds of cylindrical cells, especially 18650 Li-ions.   What I found handy is that I can fully charge a cell and then discharge it to determine it mAH capacity, and it's internal resistance.  It has 8 buttons for programming, but I prefer the computer program, which lets you chose every possible parameter.  I'm sure you will find it as useful as I have.  Enjoy ;D

• Contributor
  • SkyRC MC3000 Forever!
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2022, 04:17:55 am »
Update:
After reviewing this thread and researching different chargers, I've decided to get a Skyrc MC3000 and my parents were happy to pay for it as my main Christmas present for this year.
The USB charger I have been using will now be used as a backup and for when I go camping. I don't want to risk damage to a $230 charger so I will continue to use the USB charger on camping trips.
The reasons for my decision on the MC3000 are:
- A true Smart Charger
- Can charge lithium batteries such as LiFeP04's & 18650's. Been needing a charger with that ability for quite a while.
- Has a computer program so I can get all the information I need about a particular battery and it's condition.
- Tells you the actual capacity of your batteries, useful for older cells that may have lost some capacity due to age.
- Can (Hopefully) breathe new life into old cells
I'll get there someday.

• Contributor
  • SkyRC MC3000 Forever!
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2023, 09:32:15 am »
My Skyrc MC3000 arrived today and I've fallen in love with it instantly!

I originally started this thread because I was only looking for a Ni-MH/Ni-CD charger but when I begun salvaging 18650's from battery packs, I realised that I needed a way to charge the 18650's as well. When I discovered that the MC3000 could charge Ni-MH, Ni-Cd, 18650's and 14500's, I knew it would be the perfect fit.

I've charged a few batteries already and although the AAA cells sometimes slip, it works great. I've even downloaded the app and connected my iPad without any issues!

I'd like to give a big thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread. My battery charging experience wouldn't be where it is without you!
I'll get there someday.

• Contributor
  • SkyRC MC3000 Forever!
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2023, 12:02:17 am »
Update #1
After my first few days of using the MC3000, I'm very happy with it and have already revived a few batteries which showed as "Bad" or . I've also set up all 30 programs and have already used many of them.
Without a doubt, my favourite feature is how the charger tells you the actual capacity of your batteries, very useful for batteries that are old or don't have their capacity printed on the case.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:22:32 pm by 108CAM »
I'll get there someday.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf