Author Topic: Measuring a circuit's current draw - Fluke 87V  (Read 5885 times)

Offline marcusoneTopic starter

• Contributor
Measuring a circuit's current draw - Fluke 87V
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:02:06 am »
So i have a Fluke 87V, and inserted it into/between the circuit; in series (I believe that's the correct term), to measure how much a buzzer i have draws (supposed to be 50mA) - as well as just to learn/play around.

If I put the red lead into the mA slot on the Fluke 87V, the circuit doesn't work (it has a "timer" capacitor before the buzzer sounds), the capacitor doesn't charge up enough to trigger the timer (I watch it charging on another DMM).  But if I put the lead into the 10A slot on the Fluke 87V, it works and measure the 50mA (well, 0.0495ish).

Can someone explain why this happens?  Doesn't seem to matter where in the circuit I insert the DMM... at the neg terminal, positive for entire circuit, or just at the buzzer.

I don't believe its the fuse, as the Fluke beeps if you put the leads in wrong (set to Ohms and put red in either A or mA slot, it will beep, which I believe also tests the fuses?).

Thanks,

Offline mstevens

• Regular Contributor
Re: Measuring a circuit's current draw - Fluke 87V
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:14:40 am »
The ammeters have fuses. A 10A fuse for the 10A jack and a 400 mA fuse for the mA jack.  The 400mA fuse may be blown.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:51 am »
The ammeters have fuses. A 10A fuse for the 10A jack and a 400 mA fuse for the mA jack.  The 400mA fuse may be blown.

I know they have fuses... Even thought it beeps to indicate leads in wrong slot (thought that was also a test of the fuse as well?).

I opened the unit and using another DMM did a continuity test on the fuses.  The 10A causes a beep and the 400mA doesn't... I assume it blew then??

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:26:23 am »
yes

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:40:24 am »
The burden voltage of the meter is 1.8mv/mA on the 60mA and 400mA ranges. The burden voltage of the meter is 30µV/mA on the 6A and 10A ranges. There is 60 times more loading of the circuit on the  mA ranges. That alters the function of the circuit the meter is in series with.  At 50mA for the buzzer that is 90mV voltage drop across the shunt in the meter. That is a lot of additional loading the circuit was not designed for.

Edit: I missed the blown fuse also.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:53:18 am by robrenz »

Offline UPI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:26 am »
You might consider shorting your leads together until the buzzer gets started. Maybe it will continue to work with the meter in-line once it has fired off.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the comment about the blown fuse. :-//
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:18:24 am by UPI »

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:06:13 am »
The burden voltage of the meter is 1.8mv/mA on the 60mA and 400mA ranges. The burden voltage of the meter is 30µV/mA on the 6A and 10A ranges. There is 60 times more loading of the circuit on the  mA ranges. That alters the function of the circuit the meter is in series with.  At 50mA for the buzzer that is 90mV voltage drop across the shunt in the meter. That is a lot of additional loading the circuit was not designed for.

Is it blown? I find it strange (although I'm admittedly a noob, why posting here, so perhaps I did blow it one of the first times trying to read mA's and didn't realize it).  I've ordered a new fuse to try.

On your comment... its a 9v circuit using a test bench power supply and i connect the meter in before the circuit gets it power... I get readings using a cheap meter's mA setting, so i'm leaning towards blown fuse :(

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 05:20:46 am »

Is it blown? I find it strange (although I'm admittedly a noob, why posting here, so perhaps I did blow it one of the first times trying to read mA's and didn't realize it).  I've ordered a new fuse to try.

On your comment... its a 9v circuit using a test bench power supply and i connect the meter in before the circuit gets it power... I get readings using a cheap meter's mA setting, so i'm leaning towards blown fuse :(

The 87V manual has a test procedure to determine if a fuse is blown or not that can be done without opening the case or using a second meter. Good to have a spare on hand. Like an umbrella, just having one around seems to keep bad weather away.

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:48:07 pm »

The 87V manual has a test procedure to determine if a fuse is blown or not that can be done without opening the case or using a second meter. Good to have a spare on hand. Like an umbrella, just having one around seems to keep bad weather away.

On almost every meter, you can check the fuse/shunt by putting the + lead in the Volts/Ohms/Diode socket, and probe the amp range socket of choice with the meter on ohms.  Its all the same "common" terminal. 

I find myself checking meters this way a lot at work when they arent used exclusively by me.

Offline funk1980

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:17:11 am »
I've had blown fuse in my Fluke 87. The test procedure in the manual can tell you wether it's blown or not. No need to open it up. Too bad these special fuses cost aroung 10 bucks each!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 02:56:04 am »
Too bad these special fuses cost aroung 10 bucks each!
Cheap insurance IMHO, and well worth the $10 vs. a serious injury, or worse, dead.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf