I spent some time at Guitar Center trying out their headphones. The only ones that were big enough for my ears were the Sennheiser HD280s, but they pressed too hard against my head, and were quite uncomfortable. The AKG K240s were nowhere near big enough. Well, better to find out that way than after buying them.
So it looks like I'll be using some kind of in-ear monitors. I'm still a bit perplexed by my experience with the 7Hz Zeros. I watched all the reviews of them again, and what I heard was nothing like what they described, or what the graphs showed. And that wasn't just on the piano. I also tested them on my computer, my MP3 player, and my stereo system, and they sounded like Rice Krispies on all sources, whereas my cheap MP3 player earbuds sounded ok on all. But if something was defective, how would that affect both sides? So it's a mystery.
I did order the headphone amp module from Amazon. It was only $5.50, and could be fun to play with even if I don't end up needing it.