Author Topic: Microscope for repairing phone boards  (Read 653 times)

Offline paragonTopic starter

Microscope for repairing phone boards
« on: May 10, 2024, 02:25:50 am »
Hello,

Would any of you know whether there is much relevant difference in zooming 45x to 50x, when reparing boards under the microscope?

I am looking for a microscope for reparing phone boards mainly and have found some models of my interest: Kaisi KS37045A and Kaisi K37050 and Kaisi TX-350s

The most affordable is the KS37045A, but apparently it only amplifies 45x as opposed to the other two models-- up to 50x

Many thanks.

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
Re: Microscope for repairing phone boards
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 03:17:44 am »
I have a 30x and that is more than enough for everything I've done which includes 0402 SMT and zooming in on individual pins of an IC.

The following users thanked this post: paragon

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 10:18:28 am »
After comparing 10X to 11X, I wonder if is 11% more magnification is going to make a difference. Have you asked the repair folk at iFixit?
-John

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 11:26:45 am »
I use a zoom microscope which, as I have it set up, goes from 6.7x to 40x.

More often than not, I use it at the widest setting.

Bear in mind that the working distance can be very short, which means the microscope will be in the way of your soldering, and it's likely to get coated in dirt from solder fumes. Adding a 0.5X barlow lens is an effective way to address both issues.

Offline thephil

• Regular Contributor
    • Techbotch
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 08:15:59 pm »
I think you should be most concerned with the lowest magnification of the microscope rather than the highest. 95% of the time, I use mine at the minimum or a tad above that. Another important aspect is working distance – you want to be able to solder without the optics getting in the way.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 08:28:38 pm »
I think you should be most concerned with the lowest magnification of the microscope rather than the highest. 95% of the time, I use mine at the minimum or a tad above that. Another important aspect is working distance – you want to be able to solder without the optics getting in the way.

Ya.  Most PCB rework I do at 0.7 zoom with 10x eyepieces.

Offline Manul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 09:37:20 pm »
I use 7.5x most of the time. Almost never above 25x.

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 08:39:10 am »
For assembly work I use x10 with my Swift S41-20 microscope. While I have x20 as an option, it is too much for assembly/repair work, but can be useful for inspecting boards. I don't know about the working height of the KS37045A, but my Swift has quite a distance between the optics and the board, it doesn't suffer from fumes fouling the optics, although I do use an extraction fan/charcoal filter to clear fumes from my work area.

Those clips on the KS37045A base are no use for PCB work, you need a holder that can be rotated to give you the best access. I use one similar to eBay item 355132564039, although mine was cheaper than that item.

SJ

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 10:26:14 pm »
I like to use a "Document Viewer" These project on a computer screen and are Zoom.  Some are VGA and some are HDMI.They are not binocular however.  Here in US there are lots of them as surplus from schools when they upgrade. You can take pictures and video also.

The one I use is an Elmo Brand.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 10:53:33 pm »
For assembly work I use x10 with my Swift S41-20 microscope. While I have x20 as an option, it is too much for assembly/repair work, but can be useful for inspecting boards. I don't know about the working height of the KS37045A, but my Swift has quite a distance between the optics and the board, it doesn't suffer from fumes fouling the optics, although I do use an extraction fan/charcoal filter to clear fumes from my work area.

Those clips on the KS37045A base are no use for PCB work, you need a holder that can be rotated to give you the best access. I use one similar to eBay item 355132564039, although mine was cheaper than that item.

SJ
Hello Solder_Junkie

Thank you for your reply.
The idea is to use a holder and the base on the ones I am looking is more like the ebay itm 126436436106. The working distance can be approx. 16-17cm with a 0.5x lens. Some models have an aluminium base with anti static mat layer

So based on the comments I see here I guess 45x or 50x won't make a difference.

Thanks.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2024, 11:04:22 pm »
After comparing 10X to 11X, I wonder if is 11% more magnification is going to make a difference. Have you asked the repair folk at iFixit?

Yes I did and this forum was reffered as the one place to ask.

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 05:55:57 am »
Got it.

If you believe the trite military maxim that time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted, I can think of  a few more aspects you might research about a microscope that have not yet been been raised:
  • lighting
  • zoom range
  • depth of field
Field of view and work piece size-and-roughness drive the latter two. For example, a typical specimen my father would survey and minutely inspect was the size of a bowling ball.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 06:17:45 am by jfiresto »
-John

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2024, 08:23:08 am »
I can think of  a few more aspects you might research about a microscope that have not yet been been raised:

• lighting

I forgot to mention, my Swift microscope came with 2 x LED lights on adjustable stalks. You need a lot of light and being able to adjust 2 lights is very helpful. Some microscopes have a "ring" light, I am not sure about those.

SJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf