Author Topic: Mini tv screen  (Read 562 times)

Offline 5150WS6Topic starter

Mini tv screen
« on: May 10, 2024, 03:34:28 pm »
Hi guys,
Need some help here. I'm working on a model railroad and I'm doing some skyscrapers to simulate downtown San Diego. There are a few that are 30+ stories that I'll be doing and in each of those I plan to model 8-10 rooms with full lights, interior, figures and things.

For a cool touch....and because I've never seen it, I'd like to get one of the super small .96" LCD screens and have a video signal going to them to simulate a tv screen. Ultimately having a loop of a movie or a show or something playing on a very small screen in the condos.

Is this possible? I see a ton of the full color small .96 " screens but that's where my block starts. I have no idea how to wire it or what would be the best source? I will have plenty of room behind for any type connections. But I don't know if I can hook it up to say an old iphone or USB drive or Arduino?

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to wiring but this is new territory for me here and just looking for some guidance!

Thanks for your help and any info you can throw at me!

Mike

Online globoy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Mini tv screen
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 05:02:38 pm »
It's definitely possible. 

I know of several projects, like the one linked below, that use a ESP32 dev board + Micro-SD card + small LCD screen to playback video.  You'll probably have to specially prepare a video file since that micro doesn't have the oomph to decode traditional compressed video files.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp32-ssd1306-oled-display-arduino-ide/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32843038592.html

Another option would be to use a Raspberry Pi Zero (or Zero 2).  It has the oomph to play video files.

https://www.buydisplay.com/full-color-0-95-inch-arduino-raspberry-pi-oled-display-module-96x64

https://www.waveshare.com/pico-lcd-0.96.htm

https://hackaday.com/2020/06/15/portable-video-looper-is-easy-as-pi/

https://videolooper.de/

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=175720

And this - which seems like exactly what you want - but I don't know if was successful

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/gadget-master/raspberry-pi-gadget-master/raspberry-pi-rp2040-powers-inch-sized-tinytv-screen-2023-02/

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 02:41:35 pm »
You should visit (online or in person) Miniature World in Hamburg Germany to see their layout!! They had several instances of the mini LCD screens, one of which simulated an outdoor drive-in movie screen. Very cool and very worth seeing in person!!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 05:46:36 pm »
Before you read, note that I'm a long-term fan of Teensy microcontrollers from PJRC and BuyDisplay IPS display panels and modules.  Some say "fanboi", but I do use other stuff also (other microcontrollers, and even more often non-Buydisplay OLED models); I'm just happy with the quality and performance of those.

Also, my solutions often involve some kind of small interface board or something designed in EasyEDA, typically with components such that you can get it made and assembled at JLCPCB or similar.  (Here are past examples.)  On the hardware side, I'm only a hobbyist, though.

Is this possible?
Very.

For example, Adafruit 0.96" 160×80 TFT takes 160×80×16×25 ≃ 5,120,000 bits ≃ 640,000 bytes per second to display video.  A microSD card can handle that fine, and SPI running at 8-12 MHz should suffice.  Each frame consists of a few bytes of "command" (that varies slightly between different controller chips in the display module), followed by 160×80×2 = 25,600 bytes of data.  You do need DMA support, and to be able to transfer the current frame to display while reading the next frame (in uncompressed format – easily done using e.g. ffmpeg tools) from an SD card or via full-speed USB.  (Full-speed USB tops out at just under 1Mbytes per second, so at 25fps, so the maximum pixel size is about 160×125.)
Thus, the microcontroller you use needs at least 64k of RAM, and sufficiently high-speed SPI peripheral.  (The ST7735S is spec'd to handle SPI up to 15 MHz, 66ns SCLK cycle.)  Note that you cannot use the SD card holder in that adapter, because you need the full SPI bandwidth to the display.  You'll need a separate SPI bus to an SD card.

Thus, the question is 1) the connection method to the display (SPI suffices for such small resolutions for ~ 25fps), and 2) the microcontroller capabilities.

My preferred solution would be to use a Teensy 4.1, as it has sufficient speed, RAM, and a built-in SD card socket, to interface to the above display.  The Adafruit GFX library would need adapting (or the SPI commands needed to initialize the display and send a full frame of data added to one of the Teensy SPI DMA libraries), but otherwise it should be very straightforward.  (If I had one of those displays, I could help you do it, as I do have Teensies myself.)

In fact, I do believe each Teensy 4.1 can handle two of such SPI-connected displays at the same time, displaying different video streams to both (separately), even for slightly larger resolution displays like the BuyDisplay 0.96" 80×160 or 1.08" 128×220 IPS panels.  (IPS giving nice viewing angles.)

For use with the BuyDisplay modules, you'd need to create small interface boards, so you can use 10 to 12-pin FPC or ribbon cable between the display module and the microcontroller, so you can do modeling clay or 3D print to make the display into a real TV, and move the microcontroller to somewhere more accessible.  Not too long, though, just a few inches at most.  Think behind or inside a wall, not below the entire model.

The interface board needs to provide a current-limited source (around 3.1V to 3.4V, 15-20mA for both of those above), preferably controlled by a PWM'ble signal; the connector or connection (FPC soldered directly to pads) to the display module, and pads or connector for the cable to the microcontroller.  I'd use EasyEDA and have them made and assembled at JLCPCB.  The Adafruit module has that board, but I'd prefer the board to be the same size as the display module, so you can use modeling clay or 3D print a TV-looking enclosure for it.

A completely different approach would be to consider is the LilyGo LCD + ESP32 boards.  For example, right now Banggood sells the TTGO T-Display ESP32 with 1.14" TFT one (135×240) for under 13€ apiece + shipping.  Perhaps you could have a small Linux WiFi server (router) to stream the video to the displays in real time, wirelessly?  I'm not absolutely certain what kind of frame rates you could get, especially using one server to N such boards, but looking at the specs, it should work fine.  The board shape is not optimal for making into a TV-like unit, though.

With sufficient buffering and not too noisy WiFi environment, a small Linux single-board computer should be able to send 8-10 such streams in parallel, especially if it uses a native SSD; SD cards won't have the small-I/O read bandwidth for more than a couple of streams.  I don't use Raspberry Pi's though, I prefer Odroids, Rock Pis, et cetera, without the hardware USB issues Pi's have.  Plus I don't like how the Foundation interfaces (or, prefers not to interface directly to, and obfuscate connections to) the open source software projects their products completely rely on.

You can use various tools to obtain video files, including Youtube downloaders.  Wouldn't it be funny to have Dave's videos play there?

The free ffmpeg command-line tool can decompress, scale, convert the data to RGB, and even write the individual frames as separate PPM files (which basically contain the raw data).  You might need a trivial helper that reads the PPM files, converts the color format to 15/16-bit, and saves it as a binary file, possibly including any extra data you might wish to include in the data files (maybe very low volume low-quality audio?), but that's it.
All this is much, much easier to do in Linux than in Windows, though, because of the wealth of existing command-line tools you can chain to get stuff done.

At 25fps, the data stream for W×H is about 400×W×H bits per second.  For all the above suggestions this is below 13 Mbits/s, thus within achievable SPI DMA (given ESP32 or Teensy 4.x or Teensy MicroMod).  For the uncompressed 16-bit video stream at 25fps, this is 0.64 Mbytes/s (160×80), 1.41 Mbytes/s (220×128), or 1.62 Mbytes/s (240×135).  Correspondingly, one hour of such uncompressed video takes 2.3 Gbytes, 5.1 Gbytes, or 5.8 Gbytes, respectively.  If we consider the typical FAT 2GiB file size limit, the playable maximum loop lengths would be 55 minutes, 25 minutes, and 22 minutes, respectively.  With an unformatted SD card there would be no such limits, but you'd probably need to use Linux tools (dd et cetera) to write to the SD cards.

There is one visual effect, though, that the above may suffer from: tearing.

This is because the display modules update their contents 60 times a second, but the SPI bus cannot update the display more than 20-40 times a second.  This means the display will show a mix of two or three frames.  If the native display update direction is used, this will split the display horizontally; if the normal display update direction is used, this will split the display vertically.  It is very unlikely to be synchronized, so there won't be a tear line at a stable location, it will vary from frame to frame. See page 84 of the ST7735S datasheet (buydisplay.com) for an illustration.

How noticeable this will be, I do not know.

However, this is the underlying reason why I am using Teensy 4 to interface to larger (2.4", 2.8"; 320×240 or 480×320) versions of these displays using a parallel connection.  Teensy 4.x/MicroMod can easily sustain a 320×240×16bit×60 data flow from an USB host even over USB Serial, because it has a high-speed native USB instead of some USB-to-Serial converter chip; here is the real-world test in the other direction as an example.  It also uses a proper SDIO interface (not SPI) to the SD card, so given a good quality microSD card, the data transfer for the raw video is no problem either.  The issue is that most display modules' controller chips cannot support fast enough data rates over SPI, so the "8080/6800"-style parallel bus is used instead.  Teensy 4.x/MicroMod does have 2×512 KiB (1,048,576 bytes) of RAM, so having two full framebuffers in RAM (480×320×16bpp is 307,200 bytes = 300 KiB), one being received from the host, and another being sent to the display when the TE pin indicates a vertical retrace is starting (so the transfer stays ahead of the display update, and changes the contents of the display before it has been completely displayed).  It also means the data must be sent in the native order (short direction contiguous in memory).

I do know that the BuyDisplay 1.44" 128×128 (70°/70°/60°/70° viewing angles) supports a 8-bit parallel data interface and has TE/retrace output pin.  The smallest IPS panel I can find is 1.3" 240×240; the 1.69" 280×240 also has rounded corners.  All these would give tear-free video, but would need a bit more software work on the Teensy side.  Their resolutions are small enough I believe Teensy 4.1 could drive three of them in parallel (separate videos) using FlexIO shenanigans; two for sure.  (The third FlexIO does not support DMA, but the two others and the SDIO interface do; and there are enough I/O pins.  So, it is a question of whether the code can do the third update in software, while the two others use DMA, all four (three displays and the SDIO) being asynchronous to each other.)
Limiting oneself to two displays max per Teensy would mean the same stuff would be useful to magiceyes stuff (some experienced Teensy users do Halloween eye tricks using pairs of small displays and a Teensy).

Apologies for the wall of text.

The following users thanked this post: ledtester, MK14, 5150WS6

Online xvr

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 06:57:49 pm »
Be aware that most of .96" displays really not LCD, bit OLED. (ssd-1306 based for example, as one in link from previous answers). These displays not color, but B/W and connected by I2C that rather slow, so even B/W video on them is hardly possible.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 09:15:45 pm »
(The Adafruit 0.96" module and the BuyDisplay 0.96" panel in my post, as well as the links to the other larger display modules and panels, are all TFT displays, not OLED.)

There are full-color 0.95" and larger OLED display modules like this 96×64 BuyDisplay one and similar ones using SSD1331 (96×64) or SSD1351 (128×96) controller that use SPI (often with misleading silkscreening, with MISO and MOSI combined to a single pin). In the BuyDisplay Youtube video you can almost see the display update!  Technically, the SSD1331 can handle up to 6 MHz clock rate, so it might just be because they're using a slow/memory-starved ATmega328p.

I do warmly recommend getting test units of whatever displays you're considering, to check if the image quality and brightness is suitable, before buying more of them.  And I do recommend verifying that the seller has the datasheets for the display available (like Adafruit and BuyDisplay/EastRising have), too.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online xvr

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 10:54:57 am »
(The Adafruit 0.96" module and the BuyDisplay 0.96" panel in my post, as well as the links to the other larger display modules and panels, are all TFT displays, not OLED.)
Sorry for misleading. I didn't mean your post, but one before the previous one.

My message to OP - double check real type of 0.96" display before buying it (especially in a bulk quantity). On Aliexpress (for example) some 0.96" OLED displays were sold under "0.96 LCD" title.

I personally got a trap with ILI9237 based LCD module. It was sold as "Arduino" compatible. From DS I'd find out that ILI support a plenty of interfaces, including SPI (that I want). After buying this module I'd find out that mode selection pins not exposed to module pins :(
Moreover, only 2 of 3 mode selection pins was presented on internal LCD cable, and all SPI modes were unaccessible. So I have to add SPI to parallel converter (on 74HC595). Here I got second trouble. Module authors connects raw resistive touch panel pins to LCD data/control pins. Arduino expected to change modes of some pins to analog and read touch data. I can't do this, because 2 of shared pins were DB6/7, which were connected to 74HC595. So I have to add 2 analog switches to isolate them for touch measurement.
Next problem has arisen from ESP32 ADC - it can't reliably measure voltage range from touch panel. So I have to add 2 buffers on opamp with voltage dividers after them.
And the last problem was a pixel write timing - I couldn't use hardware SPI to send array of data, because each SPI transaction should be followed by Write strobe, that was generated by pin bitbang.
Full screen fill had take about 1/3 seconds. So I have to get rid of all low level wrapper of SPI and GPIO (HAL level of IDF) and make hand manipulation on register level. I'v got speed about 1/10 sec for full screen.
Next step could be in using low level fast speed interrupt on SPI send to manipulate Write pin (inside interrupt handler, implemented in Assembler) and turn on DMA for SPI, but I'd give up on this stage (1/10 sec was acceptable for me).

And all of this is just a result of non checking hardware capability of particular LCD module  |O
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 10:56:47 am by xvr »

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline 5150WS6Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 06:15:52 pm »
Oh believe me that Miniature Wunderland is on my bucket list. We are planning a trip to EU and that's the one place I am wanting to hit! It's unreal!

Thank you all for the replies. It's definitely doable now thanks to you guys. I'm still processing and trying to learn the lingo and what's going to be my best option but I like Nominal Animals setup with the boards and things.

I don't need a lot but I think on a 40 story building it would be cool to have a couple tv's going inside. Just for added effect.

Thank you all for your assistance and information! This forum is amazing!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf