Author Topic: MOSFET linear regulator circuit  (Read 69230 times)

Offline salbayeng

• Frequent Contributor
Re: MOSFET linear regulator circuit
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2016, 07:47:33 am »
Hi
You put the zener D3 in the wrong place. |O

Offline void_error

• Frequent Contributor
  • I can transistor...
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2016, 09:27:31 am »
Hi
You put the zener D3 in the wrong place. |O
I should add that its value is probably too high.
Trust me, I'm NOT an engineer.

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2016, 12:16:10 pm »
oops! maybe you are right! where should I put it? plus it is 20v which is maximum vds allowed.

You mean I should put it directly from G to S so it won't affect the discharge 1k resistor?

What about the small oscillation when changing voltage ?

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2016, 05:21:32 pm »
The changed MOSFET BSZ100N06LS3 is slightly better, but still not good enough. The SOA curve shown about 0.5 A at 20 V.  This is with very good cooling - so real life limits will be a little lower.
There is not much use in looking at those switching Fets. For a 50 W worst case loss something like TO220 is about the minimum size. I would even prefer a larger size (e.g. TO247 / TO218) as cooling is easier than.  The R_on is not critical - it is more that fets with a low R_on are often not that good for linear operation. So even if an IRFP250 is $1 more expensive you might safe this on the heat sink.

After fast load changes some ringing (decaying oscillation) is normal at some loads. However there should be no sustained oscillation, even if small in amplitude.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 12:47:14 am »
Well, starting from your last sentence... If you simulate my circuit you will see these transition and they are in less than 0.5ms only, it is perfectly regulated after that. What do you mean by "sustained" oscillation? is it like a continuous oscillation of some sort? if so, then no. It doesn't appear here.

Now for MOSFETs, I want to choose a mosfet suitable for both linear regulation and switching supply (LT3757 SEPIC regulator). And the power dissipated in the linear mosfet will be so small because it will always have 1v dropout (even lower if i could) while max current is 2A so around 2W maximum. I must get an SMD one, which will have its own smd heatsink, so 2W absolute maximum is nowhere near the 50W or so.

I still want to know what figure you are deducting these stuff from. I don't care much about R_on in this linear one, but I wanted to pick one with relatively low one for the sake of the switching controller because I want to re-use parts in this design.

One last point is that I like to use new parts (which is totally subjective) so I seek to learn about them and there will absolutely be some suitable one in there.

You haven't told me about the zener mistake xD. I think I should put it directly from the gate to the source not after the resistor.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2016, 04:16:59 am »
I tried to search a while for another MOSFET assuming 20v Vds as you suggested in your reply, although I told you the dropout is 1v so Vds will always be 1v only and till now I couldn't get a clear explanation.... Anyway here are the results:

BSC900N20NS3 G
BSC360N15NS3 G
IPL60R360P6S -> this one has something like 3A @ 20v Vds which is bigger than my max of 20v\2A. Is it suitable?
IPL60R210P6 -> This one is the best of them I guess.

However, assume 1-2v maximum Vds (it will be 1v for sure), then @ 1v Vds the curves show > 10A which is so suitable. What did you mean by 20v then? If you mean like V_input=40v and V_output=20v so Vds=20v then this is totally not the case. I am designing a pre-regulator to keep it @ 1v Vds all the time. Thus, accordingly, the 30v Vds max BSC100N03MSG will work for sure.

I want an SMD MOSFET so IRFP250N won't do the job, you know any alternative?

Offline salbayeng

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2016, 11:47:56 pm »
Hi again,
The attached schematics show the correct placement of a zener, it would be 10v or 12v   ,  as the gate voltage in linear mode will be ~  3 to 4volts (depends on actual part used).
R1 is a 22R ohm resistor (or a ferrite bead) to suppress VHF oscillations in the MOSFET. You may need need this, it's the luck of the draw whether you get parasitic oscillations or not, if you parallel two or MOSFETS to spread out the heat, then you must use seperate 22R resistors. (Parrallel MOSFETs are more prone to oscillation)

--------
I've just used a simplified schematic below, with 3 choices of transistor (picked from what was already available): 
  • RFD14N05L (an older style MOSFET, works well in linear mode) doesn't work well here at 5A though , (IRF730 is similar)
  • IRLIZ44  old style with better Rds,
  • and  a modern  PSMN1R4-40 1.4mR ,  suitable for switching use.

Blue is op-amp output so you can estimate effective transconductance from this . Red is the pre-regulator output at 10kHz , bigger than real life, but easier to see the effect, it also sweeps Vds down to 0.5v  .  Green is the actual output voltage.

[edit] added JPG as courtesy to other readers for zener placement [/edit]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:55:37 pm by salbayeng »

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2016, 12:32:34 am »
Thanks for your generous response as always.

I adjusted the zener place like you posted earlier. I use the 1k resistor as a discharge resistor for the gate as I saw this from other places so I trusted it. Now, for the Vds being a max of 10v... I didn't know that? so I thought that putting a 20v is the best choice because it is the maximum voltage for the gate. So if it does reach 10v as a maximum, then what is the problem? or is it dangerous to reach 10v?

What is the purpose of D1 in your image? plus, is it ok to put a 0.1uF capacitor after the 1k resistor to ground?

Until now I couldn't get why some MOSFETs are "suitable for linear operation" and some are not. I know that low R_on is good for switching application because of low power drop or something... but why is it not good with linear assuming it handles huge amount of current?

Maybe you could consider what I said about the continuous 1v drop across the mosfet which makes a maximum V_ds of 1v... so I guess this is good for my application. You said (or the others) something about low gate capacitance... What is the value recommended for linear regulators? The last one I mentioned (BSC900-somthing) has quite good one (relative to the famous IRFP250N). I ask too much because I want to understand better, not just stick to what is shown online.

What I saw from your 3 schematics is that the modern mosfet is the best somehow... the op-amp is more stable with it and the output voltage too. Correct me please if I am wrong.

Originally I wanted to put a ferrite-bead after the pre-regulator but I dropped the idea. Now for the gate of the mosfet, will something like 1,1k,10k ohm work? because of parts re-usage... if it is not going to work, I will add the 22ohm to the BOM  :-+ :-+

Offline salbayeng

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2016, 07:00:45 am »

I adjusted the zener place like you posted earlier. I use the 1k resistor as a discharge resistor for the gate as I saw this from other places so I trusted it. Now, for the Vds being a max of 10v... I didn't know that? so I thought that putting a 20v is the best choice because it is the maximum voltage for the gate. So if it does reach 10v as a maximum, then what is the problem? or is it dangerous to reach 10v?

I presume you mean Vgs (not Vds) , the oxide on the gate is incredibly thin, and voltages above 20v will likely cause the oxide to punch through, after that the MOSFET is useless. The section where is says VGSMAX  is titled "ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM RATINGS" you need to ensure that your design never exceeds any of these at any time, under all possible abnormal operating conditions.  With most mosfets the threshold is around 3v , to get 100uA of current at 5v it is generally completely ON, at 10v it is still completly ON, but the transition from resistive to constant current has moved up a bit, after 10v no increase in performance occurs.
The threshold voltage varies between types , typically 1.5 to 2.5 for logic level (intended for 5v operation) ,  3 to 4v for normal mosfets, intended to be driven with MOSFET drivers from a 10v supply, and then you have a few high voltage MOSFETS with Vgth from 1 to 15v  (600v to 1000v Vds). 
The image below shows the gate curves as you can see 10v is off the top of the page of fig7 , and RDS has flatlined by 10v.
Note the VDGR rating as well, this means if you have 30v across D - S , then you can't put more than -10v on the gate (The internal diode in the zener limits reverse voltage to 600mV)

You need to respect the VDS rating too,  for example if you connect the MOSFET through a 1k resistor to a 50 supply it will probably comfortable sit at 45v, swing to 45v in a SMPS power supply and the MOSFET will get very hot from avalanching all the time - see the avalanche rating in millijoules.  Operating most MOSFETS , especially those above 400v, at 60% of the max rating will make them impervious to SEB (single event burnout), this is caused by neutrons that are passing through us all the time. At 60% of VDSmax , the failure rate will be 1 in 1billion hours (a couple of centuries) , at 80% it is 10 times worse , at 100% it is 100times worse, so failure in a decade or less.

What is the purpose of D1 in your image? plus, is it ok to put a 0.1uF capacitor after the 1k resistor to ground?
By after, you mean below the 1k resistor?, this is basically the output, yep you can put a 100nF there (i.e. across R13), you might want to put some bulk capacitance there too (100uF electro) but be aware the ESR of this cap can affect loop stability.  D1 is there to stop C1 floating off when the voltage setpoint is dropped suddenly with a capacitive load, it also helps discharge the gate capacitance of Q2, and hopefully reduces overshoot, it also means the op amp may be current limiting briefly , but that won't bother it.

Until now I couldn't get why some MOSFETs are "suitable for linear operation" and some are not. I know that low R_on is good for switching application because of low power drop or something... but why is it not good with linear assuming it handles huge amount of current?

In theory all MOSFETs have the same behaviour model , that is determined by length to width ratio of the gate , and the device area. In practice it's more complicated.  FETS have two operating regimes - constant resistance or constant current , with the gate voltage determining which resistance or current.  To get linear type operation in a power supply you should be operating in contant current mode, as this provides inherent rejection of ripple on the incoming supply.  (In the resistance mode you basically have a resistor connecting the incoming ripple to the load).  You also need to make sure the MOSFET is operating where the small signal gain doesn't vary much with load. A big problem operating with large area (low Rds) is the drastically nonlinear capacitance variation at low Vds , this can seriously mess with closed loop gain at 10kHz and above, which is the usual trouble region for stability. The PSMN1R4 is better than expected as regards capacitance rising abrubtly at low voltages (see figure). However it does have ~ 1nF of miller capacitance (Crss) at 1v, this miller capacitance needs to be multiplied by the voltage gain across the MOSFET, (which can be quite high with a low Rds device) even with a gain of 10, you have 10nF  effective capacitance, and the 22R resistor produces a pole at ~1MHz.

Maybe you could consider what I said about the continuous 1v drop across the mosfet which makes a maximum V_ds of 1v... so I guess this is good for my application. You said (or the others) something about low gate capacitance... What is the value recommended for linear regulators? The last one I mentioned (BSC900-something) has quite good one (relative to the famous IRFP250N). I ask too much because I want to understand better, not just stick to what is shown online.
The IRFP250N would , on first glance be a good choice for linear operation, low transconductance, easy to keep cool, but the gate capacitance, particularly miller capacitance is very bad at low voltages 2.4nF at 1v.(see figure)
The RFD14N05 is pretty good for linear operation, it has quite modest  capacitance (see figure), but the graph doesn't go down to 1v. We normally add an external 220pF miller capacitor to get nice controlled slew rate on some comms drivers.
If you want to stay with the PSMN family , randomly picking an 11mR device PSMN011-60, this is well behaved low conductance, and low capacitance  200pF at 1v (see figure) .

What I saw from your 3 schematics is that the modern mosfet is the best somehow... the op-amp is more stable with it and the output voltage too. Correct me please if I am wrong.
Don't believe everything in sim's , but it does look better than I expected. If you want to use the same device for linear and switching, maybe a PSMN4r.... (4mR )should be reasonable compromise (that's 22Amps usable current for the SMPS). It probably works as well as it does because Q1 and Q2 together act as a follower, the effective small signal impedance at the emitter is much lower than the 1k it looks like at first glance. My circuit has fairly low loop gain so that makes it more stable.

Originally I wanted to put a ferrite-bead after the pre-regulator but I dropped the idea. Now for the gate of the mosfet, will something like 1,1k,10k ohm work? because of parts re-usage... if it is not going to work, I will add the 22ohm to the BOM  :-+ :-+
you might be getting overly restrictive on your BoM  here, 10R or 100R might be suitable.  The 100R would need a bit of checking to see it doesn't mess up the loop gain in the 10's of kilohertz.

[edit fixed up some bact to front quotes!]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:04:00 am by salbayeng »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2016, 05:13:46 pm »
With a perfectly working switched mode pre-regulator the requirements for the FET in the linear regulator are not so high anymore. It depends on the performance of the regulator. Worst case voltage will be higher than 1 V, at least for a short time (e.g. to discharge the output capacitance of the SMPS). I Assumes pure linear regulation and not a reliable working pre-regulator. In this case SMT FETs are possible so no more need far a large case.

Still the SOA should allow for enough power to safely discharge the output capacitance and maybe other glitches. So I would not go for the very low V_DS rating to have a little reserve for nasty loads (e.g. jumping between CC and CV mode rather fast). So finding one FET to be used in the SMPS and the linear stage is a kind of compromise: efficiency of the SMPS versus reliability of the linear stage.

Still I would avoid the very new types for the linear more as much of the development is towards low R_on from a small die and with small input capacitance, like what is needed for switching. But linear operation would like a large die to get better cooling and a little more R_on from the substrate to get better current distribution. So the new types are often to much optimized for switching only, as they tend to reduce the not actively used die area. The BSZ100N06LS3 shows the faster drop in the SOA curve at only 2.5 V - so it starts to get unstable at such a low voltage. With increasing temperature this would even shift lower.

The PSMN1R4 looks like being about a suitable compromise from the technology point (e.g right age and voltage) but it is too large (R_on to low, C_gate to large). So for just the switcher quite some loss from the driver and for the linear stage the large capacitance make it slow (or would need an even lower discharge cap). I would look for something of maybe 5 times the R_on but same family.  Even if SMT keep an eye on cooling, as good cooling helps linear operation but does not hurt switching.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2016, 08:12:54 pm »
@Kleinstein

what about this mosfet: http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-BSZ900N20NS3-DS-v02_02-en.pdf?fileId=db3a30432ad629a6012b15f1be561a9b

it has 90mR R_on which is even bigger than IRFP250N and it has lower capacitance (C_in=~600pF, C_out=~50pF)... it is optimized for switching applications but according to your post it sounds very good for linear mode (V-ds=200). I like the new MOSFETs and willing to use one of them if possible (SMD is a must too).

The BSZ100N06LS3 shows the faster drop in the SOA curve at only 2.5 V - so it starts to get unstable at such a low voltage.

where did you see this?

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2016, 08:35:24 pm »
In my power supply I've used 2SC5200. it is a common old NPN transistor that is suitable for linear operation and has a true SOA curve. it is expensive and overkill probably but will probably work very good for you PSU.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:37:26 am by ZeTeX »

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2016, 10:25:17 pm »
In my power supply I've used 2SC5200. it is a common old mosfet that is suitable for linear operation and has a true SOA curve. it is expensive and overkill probably but will probably work very good for you PSU.

What is that makes it suitable for linear application? high output capacitance? Is the one I linked in the previous post suitable in your opinion? being an SMD package is a must for me, that is another reason for not getting old mosfets.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2016, 08:38:39 am »
In my power supply I've used 2SC5200. it is a common old mosfet that is suitable for linear operation and has a true SOA curve. it is expensive and overkill probably but will probably work very good for you PSU.

What is that makes it suitable for linear application? high output capacitance? Is the one I linked in the previous post suitable in your opinion? being an SMD package is a must for me, that is another reason for not getting old mosfets.
My mistake, it is a NPN tranny and not MOSFET..
it has a SOA curve, its old, robust and made for linear opreation.

Offline salbayeng

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2016, 09:03:55 am »
Are you still planning on using 2 x 18650 cells,  most aren't rated for the 5A (or more) required to generate 20v/2A.
see http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?308451-18650-battery-test-with-capacity-curves-for-many-cells
At full power you will get maybe 10minutes operation.

A better choice might be a 3 cell pack of LiFePO4 cells, they are more tolerant of over/under discharge, and are much better at higher current.

Also have you considered power dissipation issues?, the schottky diode in the SEPIC will be dissipating 1W so it will need 20mm sq of PCB as a heatsink.  The linear MOSFET  will be dissipating 2W , and the LFPAK56 package is rated at only Rtheta =40K/W with 25mm x 25mm heatsink(approx 1sq inch of 2oz copper) if you sink thermal vias through and use 2oz copper you can probably get that down to 30K/W
, so you will probably need 2 x MOSFETs.

The BSZ900 is unsuitable for the SEPIC stage , but it's also in a  tiny package which doesn't help heat transfer for the linear stage, it's Rtheta is 60K/W on 20mmx30mm. (approx 1sq inch of 2oz copper) .

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:20:53 am by salbayeng »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2016, 06:40:35 pm »
In the SOA diagram there are several different limits to the permissible current at a given voltage:
At low voltages it is just R_On  -this is where the curve goes up.
In an intermediate range there is usually a power limit, that is curves of constant power, thus permissible current proportional to 1/Voltage. This is the range for linear operation. At some point there will usually be a cross obver to a steeper curve (like 1/V² as an appoximation) - this is a kind of local stability limit, similar to second break-down. Here linear operation is right at the border and higher temperatures will shift the curve to lower voltages. So it is a good idea not to go to close to that limit.  For the modern BSZ... FETs there is only a minute 1/V range in the DC curve. So cross over is somewhere in the 2,5 - 10 V range, depending on the U_DS rating. So even with a 200 V DS rating the BSZ900 is not really suited for linear operation, as it is a too new type with a tiny die. You would be better of with a larger die (older) 100 V type instead - this can give a btter combination of power handling / capacitance. So maybe an IRL530 or similar - still SMD but better to cool. No DC SOA curve, but still better than one that shows poor data.

Just as a word of caution: in quite some datasheets the region of steeper decay is ignored - they missed it or did not measure that extra limit. So with an SOA curve without that extra break, it could be either a very robust fet suitable for linear operation or just a wrong SOA diagram ignoring the extra limits.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2016, 07:13:26 pm »
I've just read through this thread again. Back to the original question:

Hello,

I want to make a linear lab supply that is using a MOSFET (no LT3081 or any similar) which should have a switching pre-regulator before it to make the voltage 1v more in the input at all times to have more efficiency.
Can't you just have a large filter after the switching regulator?

The supply rejection of op-amps and linear regulators decreases, with increasing frequency. Take the LT1678 for example. At low frequencies, it has a power supply rejection of over 120dB but at 100kHz it's just above 30dB and at 3MHz (there will be harmonics of the switching frequency in this range) it will be near zero. The graph on the data sheet could even be optimistic. It will be worse, when the op-amp's output is nearer the supply rail and when the gain is high. At even higher frequencies, the noise one the power supply rail could even get amplified and passed to the op-amps output, making it much worse. Even if you do opt for a linear regulator you need some kind of filter, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

http://www.linear.com/docs/2537
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:16:13 pm by Hero999 »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2016, 08:44:51 pm »
One usually needs both a filter and a linear regulator stage. The filter reduces the higher frequencies, like harmonics of the switching frequency and the really fast ringing. But as a downside they also introduces errors (e.g. DC drop) and slow down step response.

The linear stage is not only reducing the main ripple part, but it also give a much better step response compared to a typical switched mode regulator.

Using MOSFETs in parallel for the linear stage is tricky, as current sharing is not good with MOSFETs. So if possible I would really stay with one MOSFET, if if this means using a large case - up to maybe TO247 or TO3. For power dissipation a 1 V drop is rather optimistic - under worst case conditions with dynamic load there will be more loss, as the SMPS can not follow that close.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2016, 09:57:10 pm »
Ok, I will ditch the new BSZ family for linear operation and stick to good ones... I need one that is SMD (preferable new but not a must anymore), this is a must. I originally planned to put an SMD heatsink for the shotky, switching mosfet, linear mosfet along with putting large copper in the pcb for it.

Well, I never heard of battery heatsink for embedded devices\boards. I guess it is easy to make the copper big enough under it for the + and - pad, if that is the good solution.

Now the interested part is the current capability. I want only 2A maximum which is good for 2 cells if the user is aware a bit... I mean, 2A is just too much for electronics as full time usage! plus, I intend to have a 12v\2A wall adapter as a charger which can be connected even during usage. This will charge the cells @ 1A while they are providing current which is good enough in my opinion. So if you consume 0.5A and you charge with 1A then it is perfect to you. Who needs continuous 2A of a small power supply? If you do, then you know what to buy.

Anyway, someone mentioned the need for 5A to supply 2A, is this "switching current"? you know it is gonna be averaged to the full load current of 2A so the question is not if the batteries can maintain 5A of current for the whole duration but if they can actually provide it or not. They can provide 5A for short periods (necessary to 2A = gonna output 0A along with it) right?

I wanted a rechargeable power supply (not high power). So 18650 is suitable because they are famous and available to all plus good enough and always getting better.

One solution is to get like 8 NiM batteries but they are low current. Or maybe 4 18650 which either all of them in series or 2 series and 2 parallel... but I already have problem with protection circuit which I found a simple solution of getting a protection circuit for each single battery then attach them the way I want... to be like already protected batteries.

I don't know if 2 series and 2 parallel is gonna be  good and safe... I really don't. If this is the solution to the problem, I will consider it.

All I know is this:

1 cell is 4.2v\3000mAH (approx)
2 series = 8.4v\3AH
2 parallel = 4.2v\6AH
2s+2p = 8.4v\6AH (perfect for this design).

Now if the 2 series batteries will give AH the same as 1 cell, what is the gain? I already have a SEPIC converter to manipulate voltage. I don't know the answer to this question, what is the benefit of 2 series batteries if they will give the same current?

Again, if connecting 2 series and 2 parallel is a good solution, I will do whatever is allowed to make if fit... one problem is whether my explained protection technique gonna work or not.

As for the pre-regulator, I don't need it to be fast enough because MCU will trigger it. I plan to make the software give 2v dropout until the user sets for his output, then make it 1v or something. So having a big filtering caps (say 200uf) is not an issue. I can waste 10ms.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2016, 11:05:47 pm »
One usually needs both a filter and a linear regulator stage. The filter reduces the higher frequencies, like harmonics of the switching frequency and the really fast ringing. But as a downside they also introduces errors (e.g. DC drop) and slow down step response.

The linear stage is not only reducing the main ripple part, but it also give a much better step response compared to a typical switched mode regulator.
The extra errors can be minimised by selecting chokes with a very low ESR. A huge capacitor on the output can be used to give a good step response.

Don't forget he only needs 2A of output current, so a filter with a low enough DC resistance to drop under 50mV at full load is fairly straightforward to design.

I suggest he tries a filter and if it's still not good enough, add a linear regulator.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2016, 11:28:29 pm »
Hero:

The main requirement for my design is to linear. I originally thought of using a rail-to-rail buck converter from LT to give the needed power but I changed it to this because simple, this is what I want as a requirement.

Please read my previous post response above, you might be able to answer some questions. thanks!

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2016, 11:37:18 pm »
Hero:

The main requirement for my design is to linear. I originally thought of using a rail-to-rail buck converter from LT to give the needed power but I changed it to this because simple, this is what I want as a requirement.
Well you already have a SEPIC converter which is an SMPS. Presumably you want to go down to 0V and your current SMPS doesn't support that?

Please read my previous post response above, you might be able to answer some questions. thanks!
Whether it's better to connect the batteries in series or parallel depends on the efficiency of your SEPIC converter and the minimum/maximum operating voltages.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2016, 12:24:20 am »
the SEPIC is LT3757 which doesn't go to 0v and still linear supply stage is a must for very clean output.

As for the efficiency is >90% for both 8v input and 16v input... However, people here mentioned the need for 5A to get the 2A output current, thus I considered putting 2 in series and 2 in parallel to get 8.4v\6AH pack which is capable to deliver 2A for longer period of time (Which is a critical advantage for this application) and can give the supposed 5A needed current (I assume it is the switching current?).

My question was is it good to connect them in this parallel\series configuration? what about protection? I already explained my way of protection which is making a protection circuit for each single cell, then they become like protected cells which can be used directly.

This is the protection IC: http://www.diodes.com/_files/datasheets/AP9211.pdf

The original speech was on picking a suitable SMD mosfet for the linear supply which is also suitable for switching stage, for getting one part for the 2 stages. If this is just impossible, then it is ok to get 2 different ones. However, I'd like to learn and try before surrendering my choice.

These are some of the mentioned mosfets plus my own picks:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nxp-usa-inc/PSMN4R8-100BSEJ/568-10258-1-ND/4031805

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/infineon-technologies/IRFR24N15DTRPBF/IRFR24N15DTRPBFCT-ND/2441041

http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/power-mosfet/20v-300v-n-channel-power-mosfet/120v-300v-n-channel-power-mosfet/BSZ900N20NS3+G/productType.html?productType=db3a30442af58bfd012b10cceda61a2e

RFD14N05

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/infineon-technologies/IRL530NSTRLPBF/IRL530NSTRLPBFCT-ND/1769901

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2016, 08:31:10 am »
To reduce the peak current load om the input side, there is still the option to have specs that reduce the maximum current at high voltages. This is common with switched mode supplies. So have 2 A up to 12 V and than keep the 24 W power limit so that it will be 1.2 A max at 20 V.

Using 2 cells in parallel is a way to get higher capacity and higher current capability with the same cell size. So you are flexible in the mechanical shape and 2 18650 cells are usually cheaper than one of double capacity. With cells in parallel, there usually is no need for individual protection. Even with cells in series one usually can get away with just one protection. 4.2 V per cell is the peak voltage - during discharge this goes down to about 3 V. So 2 cells is more like 6-8.4 V, not 8.4 V. At 6 V input the current will have to go even beyond 5 A to give 40 W of output.

For the switching part the 30 V BSZ part should be OK. For the list of FETs the first one looks too large. The IRFR24N15 might be about right for the linear part - though the datasheet is missing a DC SOA curve. So it might work but the DS just is missing the critical part to definitely say it is ok. I would prefer a type that could withstand a failure in the switched mode stage, so it can stand the something like 8.4 V and 2 A DC.

The regulation circuit still needs some attention: the capacitor right after the MOSFET to GND is not a good idea. This should be just in parallel to the load, so  go the upper side of the shunt. Also the difference amplifier will need a kind of adjustment to make sure the DC output resistance will be positive (or at least not to negative).

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2016, 09:51:31 am »
@Kleinstein

I want to give 2A at full voltage so I am open to use 4 li-ion cells if it is a must. However, does my individual protection technique works for the 2series\2parallel configuration? I guess there is no other option. However, charging them with my charger IC @ 1A will be slow but having something like 8.4v\8AH pack is just too perfect.

You said something about one protection, is it just the 8.4v limit? because if I have 2 series and 2 parallel config, I will have 8.4v max no matter what happens. Should I get an IC to monitor the full pack for 8.4v or go for the individual protection?

About the output capacitor, I will connect it between the load but will only ceramic work? like putting 4 10uF ceramic caps in parallel. I hate to use big elec caps but I guess I am forced to use them in the switching stage.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf