Author Topic: Need a magnifier recommendation to replace my old bench unit  (Read 1234 times)

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Need a magnifier recommendation to replace my old bench unit
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 08:46:07 pm »
I am happy with the LANCOSC  one I bought but it is about half size compared to standard ones.  They make a larger one in two different magnifications.

I would prefer something not made in China but could not find one.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 12:22:47 am »
I just wish you guys wouldn't keep linking Amazon.  I don't want to deal with them.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 06:23:56 am »
I'm very happy with this one from ELV :
https://de.elv.com/elv-led-lupenleuchte-175-fache-vergroesserung-850-lumen-warmweisskaltweiss-dimmbar-wechselbare-linse-124169

I bought it some years ago, but they don't sell outside germany anymore. ( long live europa !)
may be there is a clone of their product somewhere, I did not find it.

Offline AtLargeTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 08:33:43 pm »
Thanks for the replies Guys.  Sorry about the links Bob.   :-DD

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 02:49:52 pm »
I bought this one in 2019. I don’t think it was quite this expensive back then, but probably close. I bought it primarily because the light was the most powerful I could find, the magnifier was a secondary consideration. I would buy it again tomorrow if I needed one. It is well built and functions as you would expect. It puts out a lot of light, has a four level dimmer and the magnifier is clear. The base and arm are sturdy and stay where you put it. Sorry about Amazon but I love it. Hate shopping and willing to pay a bit more for delivery. Returns/refunds and damage or poor product claims are quick and generous and a pleasant human answers tHe phone promptly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9JTNVZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 04:08:58 pm »
A 10X magnifier with a 6" aperture is pretty much impossible with a single element.  For any significant magnification, you really want a stereo zoom microscope.
For soldering, you need something like at least 4" (100mm) of "working distance", a bit more is better.

I do lots of precision soldering with an old Olympus, but we have one of the Chinese ones at work.  The dual beam stand is good, you want it to be pretty rigid so it doesn't bounce.

Jon

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 04:33:45 pm »
Good Morning Atlarge,  my recommendation is Optivisor. Love mine. :-/O

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 01:54:31 am »
Good Morning Atlarge,  my recommendation is Optivisor. Love mine. :-/O

These are very good units and you can get lens assemblies with different magnifications.   For somethings they are the ideal solution.   

Depending upon what the original poster is doing there are other approaches that shouldn’t be ignored.   One approach that can be simple is an old composite TV camera and monitor. Often such stuff can be found for pennys on the dollar.  If you are creative stands can be made cheaply. 

Another approach to consider is optical comparators that can be had surplus. 

Finally there is a whole world of magnifying Loupes out there.   

Getting old myself and even reading the stamping on fuses has become a chore.   Ultimately you will need multiple magnifying solutions.  Old age sucks. 

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 03:50:29 am »
I could really use a bench magnifier.  Not to magnify my bench but to mount on it.  My eyesight and steadiness of hand are deteriorating (age 89) and the magnifiers I have are inadequate.  Compounding the issue is my lack of money to buy a good unit.  So I go to swap meets in hopes of finding a generous seller.

Offline AtLargeTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 05:57:50 pm »
I could really use a bench magnifier.  Not to magnify my bench but to mount on it.  My eyesight and steadiness of hand are deteriorating (age 89) and the magnifiers I have are inadequate.  Compounding the issue is my lack of money to buy a good unit.  So I go to swap meets in hopes of finding a generous seller.

That's pretty neat Bob.  I hope to still be putzing with electronics when I am your age!   :-+

The following users thanked this post: bob91343

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf