Author Topic: Opto-coupler choices driving me insane!  (Read 13814 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Opto-coupler choices driving me insane!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 03:58:42 pm »
Which opto-couplers offer the fastest response with very short 3.3 volt pulses?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 04:24:47 pm »
How fast is "fastest"?

Optos don't look good above 10Mbps (~100ns pulse width), fiber optics aside.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:28 pm »
This is 1pps from a GPS chip that I want to have available to its computer's GPIO, and the problem is - if I use the output from the module as is, it causes RF noise for some reason, a little blip once a second. So i want to opto-isolate it. 

Its not an official 1PPS output, its a 'bodge wire' so to speak connected to the pin where 1PPS appears , added by me. Its a $10 USB GPS dongle - the kind that doesn't normally have 1PPS.

Its quite a decent GPS, especially for the price, and pulls in satellites really well. It just was not meant to be used for 1pps -

before I waste people's time here I need to put it on my scope and see what's going on. This problem predates my owning a real oscilloscope.

Opto-coupler seems like the thing most likely to make it noise free. Just a very short wire going to the CP2102 (another non optimal solution) radiates a little RF blip throughout the house.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:28:18 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 05:48:39 pm »
Okay, so back again. :)

I realised I was being a dumbass and worrying about nothing with the reverse voltage business.

So, I ordered a few opto-couplers and began to do some experiments on breadboard. Unfortunately, I began to blow the opto-couplers left and right. The LED sides were dead. Huh, what gives? Maybe too much current, so changed the resistors to allow the bare minimum - 10K both sides. No dice, optos still failing after a while. Okay, maybe I do need to handle reverse current after all?Put some 1N4148s in series. But blew another couple of optos! Alright, in parallel then. Nope, more dead components.

I was tearing my hair out at this point, double-checking everything in my test circuit. WTF, do I have a bad batch of opto-couplers or something?

I mentioned my problem to a relative and they told me how I could make absolutely sure to prevent reverse voltage problems using 3V zener diodes in parallel. I was about to order some zeners (and more optos!) when, after staring for too long at the same circuit diagram I posted last, I suddenly realised what my problem was!

The ****ing switch is not perfect, and on the odd occasion (particularly when mashing on the buttons) is making a short circuit path through a pair of optos. The LEDs were being killed by excess forward current, not reverse!

I can't change anything about the switch, so I thought I need to put some current limiting in elsewhere. I think on the ground pin off the switch - perhaps a 1K resistor. So that'll make 11K total (assuming I continue to use 10K) on the LEDs in normal operation, which doesn't affect much, and in case of switch shorting, max of about 10mA through the LEDs. Sounds good?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf