Author Topic: Panasonic polymer capacitor vs other lower brands  (Read 382 times)

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Panasonic polymer capacitor vs other lower brands
« on: May 16, 2024, 10:10:28 am »
Hello,

I plan to re-design a PSU I did previously to enhance performance a bit more and make better layout, bom, etc..

I decided to use polymer capacitors instead of elec. caps for buck regulator which outputs 3.3v @ 3 amps (in prev. version i had both and had to use very big elec. caps due to not so optimized layout).

I do like Panasonic polymer caps (besides quality, purple seems kinda special) and saw this one to be relatively cheap:

https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Solid-Capacitors_PANASONIC-6SEPC470MW_C139570.html

however, I could get these:

https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Solid-Capacitors_Nantong-Jianghai-Capacitor-PCR0JCS471MF08LL25WP_C453509.html
https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Solid-Capacitors_AISHI-Aihua-Group-SPZ0JM471E08O00RER8K_C160672.html

for significantly less while being similar specs.

My question is: is there a benefit of using Panasonic one?

more like, I already have lots of parallel 22u 1206\1210 X5R ceramics and want to parallel them with say 3 470u polymers or so. as well as similar setup for input caps of the switchers...etc.

having parallel polymer caps of the cheaper one vs one panasonic polymer cap... which is better performance?
also, a compromise is to get 2 cheap polymers + one panasonic polymer... does this really have any better performance vs all 3 cheaper one?

I have some space so I am not bound to just one cap

the psu older design had 12v input from ac-dc power module and 3.3v @ 3 amps output + 5v @ 0.5a output + 12v output directly from power module.

the new one will be 5v power module instead of 12v, then same 3.3v output and 12v boost regulator. using 5v power module due to availability and price compared to previous choice.

thanks

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Panasonic polymer capacitor vs other lower brands
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 11:45:54 am »
Take the Panasonic, they at least offer a decent guarantee they will last the required lifetime, and will handle the current with little degradation. The others the Aishi only offers 2/3 the rated lifetime, and the Jianghai looks like a regular electrolytic with a purple top on it.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 12:26:09 pm »
Take the Panasonic, they at least offer a decent guarantee they will last the required lifetime, and will handle the current with little degradation. The others the Aishi only offers 2/3 the rated lifetime, and the Jianghai looks like a regular electrolytic with a purple top on it.

there are other trustable brands like Lelon, apaq,etc... i guess lelon are known and trusted at least.

having multiple panasonics in parallel is very expensive for me, can't really do it. i could for example get only one panasonic as the final cap at load connector.

but maybe better question would be if only one of those caps is enough or one really benefits from paralleling them just like ceramics and electrolytics?

when going parallel i guess non-panasonic ones can do since load is distributed. i don't really have any heat or so in application.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 12:29:41 pm »
APC uses nearly 100% Jinghai even in very expensive UPS for a long time. Wouldn't call their electrolytics particularly good though. IMHO does not matter which you use unless it's some extremely high reliability or extremely high stress stuff. Chance of either of them failing is extremely low.
EDIT: Aishi also has quite a bit higher ripple current rating so lifetime specs are not directly comparable if used in the same circuit.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 12:48:20 pm by wraper »

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 12:38:06 pm »
In today's world, the ability to sell is often more important than the quality and purity of the brand.
But look at this: https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Solid-Capacitors_Rubycon-25PJV270MVB8X10-5_C2940683.html
And sorry for my English.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 12:56:46 pm »
In today's world, the ability to sell is often more important than the quality and purity of the brand.
But look at this: https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Solid-Capacitors_Rubycon-25PJV270MVB8X10-5_C2940683.html

i saw it earlier but it is still expensive and a lot higher esr. its reliability is fantastic though.

APC uses nearly 100% Jinghai even in very expensive UPS for a long time. Wouldn't call their electrolytics particularly good though. IMHO does not matter which you use unless it's some extremely high reliability or extremely high stress stuff. Chance of either of them failing is extremely low.
EDIT: Aishi also has quite a bit higher ripple current rating so lifetime specs are not directly comparable if used in the same circuit.

my application is very low stress and no heat so i guess any can work. i just want to know the approach people take. especially if they have the ability to add multiple polymers in parallel vs only one... both cases with ceramics in parallel.

lots of aishi type caps (or similar brands) in parallel which has each 7-8mOhm esr and lots of ripple current handling... can be total esr very very low and distribute the mere 3 amps to lots of caps. this will yield very low ripple in output.

currently i have very high (+7000-8000 uF) elec. caps to be able to tame down noise until it is in the acceptable range for me (<30 mv p-p) due to layout maybe not so optimized. this new version will enhance all that while being a bit cheaper, therefore multiple polymer caps option was chosen.

i often see in GPUs panasonic polymer caps as final caps in parallel with 1-2 ceramics per phase. this made me think of polymers even more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf