Author Topic: Panavise 300 series vise thoughts.  (Read 3295 times)

Offline seed_87Topic starter

• Contributor
Panavise 300 series vise thoughts.
« on: May 14, 2020, 04:22:33 pm »
Hi!

So, back in college all I could really afford was one of those crappy helping hands things:

I'm now looking into upgrading to a decent vise for electronics/hobby small apartment fixes. I'm thinking about getting a Panavise:

1. I don't think I'd want to bolt it anywhere so I'm wondering if the vise with the base is heavy/stable enough for electronics/small work.
2. Opinions on these? I'm open to other models, Panavise is a bit expensive but it seems to be worth the money, I'd like a vise that doesn't stop working within the year..

Also, according to the Panavise website, the 312 tray base https://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=20 has three 1/4-20 holes drilled and tapped on the outer lip for mounting accessories, I wonder if anybody has installed a couple of flexible arm clamp things to it, which would be perfect.

Thanks! Cheers.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Panavise 300 series vise thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 05:12:45 pm »
There is also a panavise jr. (201)  SRP on their site is $32 which is more than I paid for it. I forget where I bought it, it definietly is quite useful, but with so many other options out there, it is not worth $32.

I also have a "stick vise" I got on ebay. very cheap. Its a weighted piece of metal with a spring and some clips to hold a PCB flat on a table or bench.  It was under $5

I actually have an ancient, full sized panavise with two attachment heads, a wide adjustable clamp with rubber jaws that can hold almost anything and a wide one with two grooved arms for holding (only) PCBs. It also has a quick release, so its made for fast turn around.

I got them at an estate sale.  I also have a large base for it but its not the one with a tray. It actually may not even be a panavise product. Its just a weighted base, like a short microphone stand.

But I rarely use the big vise because both are bigger than the PCBs I usually work on, more often than not one of the other two vises is far easier to use.

In a pinch you could even make a PCB holder out of a block of wood and two strong wooden clothespins.

the stick vise is 100% heat friendly, a big plus. And its the cheapest, but wont hold a larger PCB, nor will it hold it in a tilted position. it only holds quite small PCBs.

As far as mounting, the Panavise Jr. needs to be screwed to your desk to hold anything larger,  in my case ive just screwed it to a piece of wood, so it has a base.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:32:33 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 06:40:11 pm »
If you're not going to bolt it down, you'll want the weighted base:

https://smile.amazon.com/PanaVise-308-Weighted-Base-Mount/dp/B000SR134C/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=panavise+base&qid=1589481515&sr=8-4

Without that you'll be chasing an unanchored one all over the bench as you try to work.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 07:05:37 pm »
Panavise stuff is all pretty high quality (except for the paanavise jr.). It can be a bit pricey, but in my option its worth it.

Instead of the generic weighted base consider getting a base with extra arms. I dont think panavise makes any themselves but a few companies make them. I bought this https://www.quadhands.com/collections/all/products/quadhands-base and have it paired with the PanaVise 376 to hold larger PCBs.

The extra hands are really great for holding probes and such, I feel like I get more utility from the extra hands on the quadhands than the panavise itself.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 07:46:22 pm »
Panavise stuff is all pretty high quality (except for the paanavise jr.). It can be a bit pricey, but in my option its worth it.

Instead of the generic weighted base consider getting a base with extra arms. I dont think panavise makes any themselves but a few companies make them. I bought this https://www.quadhands.com/collections/all/products/quadhands-base and have it paired with the PanaVise 376 to hold larger PCBs.

The extra hands are really great for holding probes and such, I feel like I get more utility from the extra hands on the quadhands than the panavise itself.

Whoa, something like this quadhands base was exactly what I was looking for!

I like the large base which itself increases the stability of the panavisevise, I even dig the color.

Awesome. THANK YOU.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 08:08:47 pm »
That does look super useful.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 12:08:08 am »
I never found those vices too useful. They are too tall, forcing you to hold your hands up while soldering. And they are too light-duty for most types of mechanical work.

I found Hakko Omnivise (https://www.hakkousa.com/products/accessories/pcb-holders/omnivise-pcb-holder.html) to be somewhat useful. I removed that sleve and most often use it in "inverted" mode with knob on the bottom. My boards rarely have components that tall.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 12:56:38 am »
I have a Panavise 324 bought very cheaply on a fire sale years ago at RadioShack. It works really well and the base is very solid and stable. The soldering iron attachments are useless to me. Never used them.

https://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=3

I use the Omnivise at work and for me it shines in very small boards, but otherwise I still prefer the stability and width of the Panavise.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 01:36:33 am »
I found Hakko Omnivise to be somewhat useful. I removed that sleve and most often use it in "inverted" mode with knob on the bottom.

I wasn't aware of the Hakko Omnivise until you mentioned them and I just happen to have all of the materials and machinery required to knock up a couple. A fellow member has done a short video showing them in use and I found this very helpful and informative so have included a link below.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 03:31:13 pm »

I found Hakko Omnivise (https://www.hakkousa.com/products/accessories/pcb-holders/omnivise-pcb-holder.html) to be somewhat useful. I removed that sleve and most often use it in "inverted" mode with knob on the bottom. My boards rarely have components that tall.

This is interesting.
Didn't think about the height problem. Hmm..

I found Hakko Omnivise to be somewhat useful. I removed that sleve and most often use it in "inverted" mode with knob on the bottom.

I wasn't aware of the Hakko Omnivise until you mentioned them and I just happen to have all of the materials and machinery required to knock up a couple. A fellow member has done a short video showing them in use and I found this very helpful and informative so have included a link below.

Thanks for this video!

I use the Omnivise at work and for me it shines in very small boards, but otherwise I still prefer the stability and width of the Panavise.

I'll be mostly working with smaller hobby project type boards, so this omnivise makes a lot of sense.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 04:34:08 pm »
Another option worthy of consideration is the PCBite holder system and it appears that quite a few forum members have purchased these holders as discussed in the threads linked below.

https://sensepeek.com
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/pcbite-the-professional-and-affordable-pcb-holder/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/pcbite-2-0-pcb-holder-and-pogo-pin-test-probes-discounted-from-elektot/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:12:36 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 05:05:08 pm »
I use a small drill press vice that clamps the work between 30 and 60 mm (1.2–2.4 inches) above the table. That is below the top of Panavise's low profile base. Here is what is in it at the moment:

I used the vise and a stereo microscope to tack solder wires to the potted connector. The tangs are only 1.6 mm apart, and I am not as steady as I used to be.
-John

Offline KingSolomon

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 09:32:31 pm »
Do you know what  brand  that is? I like the handle.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 09:34:24 pm »
You mean the drill vice? It says it right on the picture Rohm - http://eshop.roehm.biz/roehm_de_en/863421.html
Alex

The following users thanked this post: KingSolomon

Offline KingSolomon

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 10:21:18 pm »
Thank you for the link. I prefer that vise to alternatives with more bulky handles like this:

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 07:08:45 am »
Note how the leadscrew enters and exits the handle, as you turn it, and does not shorten or lengthen the handle. That could be advantage or a disadvantage. It is a more complex and harder to make drive mechanism.

It is still low tech enough, that I bet Röhm (with umlauts) make their consumer-market vises in the Far East. I returned the first one I received because of significant play in the lead screw and jaws. A good one with closer tolerances, may start off a bit stiff and take a few minutes of exercise to self-burnish and make easy to turn.
-John

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 06:01:37 pm »
So many options and considerations.

Hadn't even considered the height problem.. thanks all for your links and ideas.

Gotta think about this s'more..

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 06:24:34 pm »
So many options and considerations....

That is part and parcel of having so many projects. :)
-John

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 03:18:16 am »
Height isn't problem in every case and may be an advantage in some cases.   It really depends upon what you are doing at the moment.

Panavises are popular because they solve a lot of problem in a dedicated electronics lab.    Personally I think everybody should have one, and that vise should be supplemented by others.    They do need a base and I solved that problem by mounting mine on an old castiron barbell weight, a disk in the 5 to 10 pound range can work well.    The idea is enough weight to stabilize the vise without making it difficult to move around.   Since castiron is easy to drill and tap you could mount whatever you want on the disk as third hands & etc.

Panavises have their niche to fill but it is very easy in a home shop to need more and one of the first vises to consider is a solidly mounted bench vise (aka machinist vise or mechanics vise).    If you expect to do any fabrication work a firmly mounted bench vise is a requirement in my mind as it can hold materials for cutting, bending, drilling and other fabrication chores in a safe manner.    This can be something as simple as putting square and round holes in a project box.   There are safe ways around a bench vise but many people find the unsafe methods and usually injured because of it.   I just consider a bench vise to be a good investment if you ever branch out beyond a tight focus on electronic circuits.

Now height can be an issue so don't get me wrong there.   The drill press example that someone offered above is one approach.    However if you spend some time with catalogs or online sites that cater to machinist and mechanics you can find all sorts of vises in every price range you can imagine.    Some of these can be very low profile and so small that they can fit within the jaws on a Panavise.    Some search words that might expose you to the options: "screwless vise", "drill press vise", "machinist vise", "tool makers Vise", "angle vises" and a whole lot more.

In their cheap from angle vises can be very useful as they offer positioning that a flat mounted vise can not.   However they do sit higher than say a standard drill press vise.   These vises can become very expensive especially if they morph into what is called a sine vise.   For a home shop you would want to look at imported offerings aimed at wood workers and hobby metal workers.   They can be handy when you need to hold things at an angle and do so in a way more rigid than a Panavise.   Here is one variant: https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3643&category=1963256913  These can be sturdy enough to pass as a bench vise (a hold over until a proper vise can be had) if clamped down with C-Clamps.   Trying to do this with a Panavise is abuse of the vise in my mind.

Panavises are great when used within their limits so certainly get one and a decent base.   However the need for something that is sturdy can easily crop up, even in a tightly focused electronics shop.    If you DIY much of anything you will need a good bench vise, which can save you a lot of grief.   I don't look at this as an area where one devices can fit every need you might have.    Beyond that different people have different interests within the electronics hobby so I could be completely wrong  suggesting any one avenue.

Look at it this way i you run into these guys that do their own fishing lures you may very well find a panavise in their shop and nothing else.   If their need is so tightly focused other larger vises may not be of any use to them.   So how tightly focused is your electronics interests?

So many options and considerations.

Hadn't even considered the height problem.. thanks all for your links and ideas.

Gotta think about this s'more..

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 09:31:06 pm »
So how tightly focused is your electronics interests?

Right now? Pretty focused I guess. But I do like to DIY things, I prefer to fix things by myself rather than have them fixed just because its fun to do those things, and is a nice distraction to regular work, you know?

Anything but plumbing, don't really enjoy working with water for some reason...

So I'll look into getting a regular low-height vise, preferably one I can adapt/that comes with a pair of helping hands or so. I did just move into an apartment so it's not like I have a garage or a place for a "heavy duty" bench.

Thanks for the keywords and the tips!

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 10:21:22 pm »
I guess I'm cheap.  :-//

I use one of my small woodworking clamps to hold PCBs:

995666-0

Offline Renate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 08:19:11 pm »
I like the Panavise 381.
The vacuum base sticks great since I have a Formica desk.
On a plain wood desk this would not work.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 08:34:17 pm »
So how tightly focused is your electronics interests?

Right now? Pretty focused I guess. But I do like to DIY things, I prefer to fix things by myself rather than have them fixed just because its fun to do those things, and is a nice distraction to regular work, you know?
A Panavise can be a good start for electronics.   You just need to realize it will not solve all of your problems work holding wise.   No vise will for that matter.    Like I mentioned above I mounted mine on an old barbell weight.   it would be easy to tap that weight for third hand devices, soldering iron holder or whatever.   Right now mine is bare.   I actually want to get one of the PCB board jaws for it but right now I make do.

By the way the weight mounting is due to not wanting the vise bolted down solid!   For even modest service work on a PCB I find that being able to spin the whole vise around is a big advantage.   If not spinning the vise positioning so I can lean on the bench to steady myself.   No matter what your chosen solution is vise wise, when working on PCB you will need to move it around easily.   Well most of the time, when you do need for it to stay in place a clamp to the base is in order.
Anything but plumbing, don't really enjoy working with water for some reason...

So I'll look into getting a regular low-height vise, preferably one I can adapt/that comes with a pair of helping hands or so. I did just move into an apartment so it's not like I have a garage or a place for a "heavy duty" bench.
That kinda sucks as a bench vise would be of zero use to you right now.   What you could do to supplement the Panavise is to get a drill press vise or other easily clamped in place vise, to C-Clap to a table when needed.   This would be a sad replacement for a bench vise but would allow you a bit more rigidity for work on say a project box with a nibbler or hack saw.   These sort of vises can take a beating form an hacksaw and frankly you will not care if it gets scratched up.
Thanks for the keywords and the tips!
Yeah there are so many types of vises out there that it actually surprises people.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf